Sign in to follow this  
Steku

We will wait a year for multiple screen functionality :(

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

You can still span the image over three monitors with Nvidia Surround. You just can't assign different views to different monitors. Right?

Yes see the my post with photo above. It works as well as in X-plane. And popouts can be on any additional screen as well.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

1 minute ago, 177B said:

Yes see the my post with photo above. It works as well as in X-plane. And popouts can be on any additional screen as well.

Very cool setup! 
I used to do the same thing when I had my 3 monitor setup. Currently I'm on one 34" 3440x1440p Ultrawide which I use as the main monitor, and a 24" 1920x1200 for apps. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

With nVidia surround you need to have all 3 displays in one flat row, you can't set the side displays at an angle (otherwise you will start perceiving nasty stretching towards the edges) to have a views along your wings. There is just one flat projection possible, like in the ordinary cinema, while the true multi display support (like the one widely available in car racing sims) allows side views, which adds a lot to the immersion, not to mention that ability on base to judge the turn to final, by just looking at your side display (without hat switch or using TrackIR). 

Edited by Steku

The BIG issue with the multi-monitor situation is the performance hit. When moving anything (undocked) to another monitor the overall performance trade-off is not worth it. Hopefully they can fix it.... like everything else....

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

When it comes to displays showing just the view outside, there are technologies available e.g. nVidia Simultaneous Multiple Projection, which can handle the multiple view ports in the GPU hardware with no performance hit. The only impact on the performance would be then only the resoultion, scenery/plane complexity and the quality settings. If properly implemented (unlike X-Plane) multiple projections (individually set per each display) should provide the same FPS as current single projection. 

NVsurround is possible but it shows a fisheye  distorted image.
P3D has fisheye correction since V4 so it took several years till it had been introduced.

There are just little cockpit builders and people using multiple outside view monitors so it is probably way down on the list of importance.

It is what it is. Enjoy what you have now ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

8 hours ago, Steku said:

When it comes to displays showing just the view outside, there are technologies available e.g. nVidia Simultaneous Multiple Projection, which can handle the multiple view ports in the GPU hardware with no performance hit. The only impact on the performance would be then only the resoultion, scenery/plane complexity and the quality settings. If properly implemented (unlike X-Plane) multiple projections (individually set per each display) should provide the same FPS as current single projection. 

I use x-plane and msfs too although the first more due to performance. x-plane does VR and multi monitors just fine the problem with FPS is a cpu bottleneck which now can finally be solved due to Vulkan.

You can farm out a scene to another core, once that is possible a multi-gpu setup if needed will become viable.

msfs #1 priority should be dx12 IMO, in a year from now 90FPS VR/multi-monitor in x-plane and P3D will probably be possible, meanwhile msfs at my specs im lucky to get a stable 30 using an airliner and in complex location (london as test).

Edited by akita

16 hours ago, Greazer said:

I think we are looking to mid to late 2022 until MSFS starts to become the proper and mature airliner sim:

-DX12 implementation and engine is optimized (ie stutters are resolved completely)
-VR has been fleshed out and better hardware exists (wider FOV etc)
-Support for multiple PC's / screens.
-PMDG and other airliners to fly
-flight models have improved.
-Clouds 2.0

dx12 wont solve anything, it'll be less overhead an overall fps increase but stutters are solved using multi core.

once dx12 msfs is out, then they can use it's threading safety features to eliminate stutters and really boost fps.

would not expect that as you said before 2022, in a year from now microsoft/asobo may be in a tough position compared to others.

Edited by akita

There are plenty multi display users. A lot of  sim racing players use triple display systems. There are many simmers who enjoy different types of sims: car racing, trucking, flying, marine. Even with the limited nVidia surround projection on 3 displays placed in a flat row (to obtain proper perspective, the viewing angle compensates the apparent stretching at the edges called by some the "fish eye effect") the level of immersion with 3 displays is incomparable to one. Yesterday I did an experiment and switched off my 2 side displays. It was pathetic. 

If you even try triple display system there is no way back. It's relatively cheap, you must only buy 3 used displays on e-Bay. For VFR VR can be an alternative, but quality VR goggles are much more expensive and not applicable to more serious flying with paper maps, approach charts, checklist etc. not to even mention real instruments, knobs and switches. 

IMG-20201121-164218.jpg

The picture above shows apparent stretching at the edges as it was taken from ca. 1.5 m from the screens. My normal viewing position is 60 cm from the screens, the side screens are observed at high angle and the resulting perspective corrects the apparent stretching at the edges. 

Now imagine the proper multiminitor support allowing placing side displays at an angle and looking left and right along your wings... 

Edited by Steku

3 hours ago, Steku said:

There are plenty multi display users.

Me too, but I wonna go a little more far with my hocmecocpit from this I got, to this like in the video below.

But without real multimonitorsupport there is no view to right or left.

Thats what I got:

20200911_220621-1.jpg

and that is what I will

Edited by sal9000

Stephan from Germany

My System