Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Carenado PA44 mini review

I'm not a RL pilot, but I cannot seem to get vertical guidance in RNAV approaches in the pa44.  Maybe I'm not doing something correctly, but I don't seem to have the same issue when using G1000 in a different aircraft.  I am also using the GNS530 mod - I couldn't even activate the approach in non modded version.  I haven't been able to find a MSFS2020 video of the PA44 with a RNAV approach.  I'm coming over from XP11 and P3D and apply the same principles for RNAV approaches in MSFS2020. I usually hit the APR button just before I reach the fix where the glide slope starts, but the aircraft never descends and I end up setting the vs to descend until I reach minimums or some before and fly the rest manually.  Thanks for listening!

Edited by SmokeDiddy

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

1 hour ago, SmokeDiddy said:

I'm not a RL pilot, but I cannot seem to get vertical guidance in RNAV approaches in the pa44.  Maybe I'm not doing something correctly, but I don't seem to have the same issue when using G1000 in a different aircraft.  I am also using the GNS530 mod - I couldn't even activate the approach in non modded version.  I haven't been able to find a MSFS2020 video of the PA44 with a RNAV approach.  I'm coming over from XP11 and P3D and apply the same principles for RNAV approaches in MSFS2020. I usually hit the APR button just before I reach the fix where the glide slope starts, but the aircraft never descends and I end up setting the vs to descend until I reach minimums or some before and fly the rest manually.  Thanks for listening!

Technically speaking RNAV approaches IRL have to be done with IFR certified GPS with WAAS like GNS430W or GNS530W (if we talk about older generation GPSs). GPS must provide vertical and lateral guidance just like ILS . The difference is RNAV must be activated as GPS source  instead of LOC on GNS. In order to have lateral and vertical guidance CDI or HSI they must be compatible with GNS430/530 and able to slave info. In Carenado version of PA44 it doesn't, in one I flew IRL it did

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Technically speaking RNAV approaches IRL have to be done with IFR certified GPS with WAAS like GNS430W or GNS530W (if we talk about older generation GPSs). GPS must provide vertical and lateral guidance just like ILS . The difference is RNAV must be activated as GPS source  instead of LOC on GNS. In order to have lateral and vertical guidance CDI or HSI they must be compatible with GNS430/530 and able to slave info. In Carenado version of PA44 it doesn't, in one I flew IRL it did

Thank you for the information.  So, I set-up a flight from KTOC to KGMU to land ILS Rwy 1, I had to use Nav 2 to verify glideslope, all is good until I hit 2 mile final then CTD.  I thought I had that solved, but I guess not...ughhh, it's what makes this sim so frustrating.  Nevertheless @sd_flyer I appreciate your comments.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

9 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Thank you for the information.  So, I set-up a flight from KTOC to KGMU to land ILS Rwy 1, I had to use Nav 2 to verify glideslope, all is good until I hit 2 mile final then CTD.  I thought I had that solved, but I guess not...ughhh, it's what makes this sim so frustrating.  Nevertheless @sd_flyer I appreciate your comments.

I turned off live traffic and haven’t had a CTD again. Knock on wood.

28 minutes ago, Azapata87 said:

I turned off live traffic and haven’t had a CTD again. Knock on wood.

Thanks!  I'll give that a shot.  I did update my video driver the other day along with disabling and deleting the Rolling Cache and this is the first CTD I've had since.

Edited by SmokeDiddy

I couldn't help myself over the Xmas break, and plunged once more into the breach..

For those on FB as that seems @Carenado's preferred method of communication- has there been any word re. the long overdue fixes to the Seminole?  Currently flying her from Brisbane to Sydney and she's not bad- but the glaring inoperatives are a definite detractant.

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Stopped in at Coff’s Harbour for fuel and coffee. About 20 minutes into the next stage I experienced my first MSFS CTD... nothing in Problem Reports... just flying along in cruise and then desktop.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

10 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Stopped in at Coff’s Harbour for fuel and coffee. About 20 minutes into the next stage I experienced my first MSFS CTD... nothing in Problem Reports... just flying along in cruise and then desktop.

I had CTD before the last patch and late Carenado fixes. But given Carenado reluctance to fix things in timely manner I wouldn't be surprised that could be more CTD under certain circumstances. I normally restart sim (and PC) after each flight otherwise my live weather don't work. So I have been lucky so far

On 1/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, cavaricooper said:

I had two CTD's right after the 12/22 update in the Seminole, but none since.  I can't attribute them to anything I was doing.  Like you just flying along and...boom.

I was using the Autopilot to follow an approach, but I wasn't actively doing anything, plane just flying along and boom.  Same thing second time.  The third time I flew a slightly different route, and haven't crashed since.

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

OK after yesterday update HSI stop working completely. No words can describe my frustration. HSI was not working correctly before  now HSI is completely broken I can't change course. Heading bug moving on it's own! offensive initials not allowed? This after months of waiting, patch after patch that  fix for penny and screw up for a buck!

My ultimate review Carenado is company of losers who constantly screwed up their own stuff over and over, can't even fix fundamental stuff. They never responds to any of the bug I ever submitted. I'm think I'm done with them for good. So conclude my mini review with do not buy from Carenado. Safe your money for other developers like A2A, ATS simulation...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

OK after yesterday update HSI stop working completely. No words can describe my frustration. HSI was not working correctly before  now HSI is completely broken I can't change course. Heading bug moving on it's own! offensive initials not allowed? This after months of waiting, patch after patch that  fix for penny and screw up for a buck!

My ultimate review Carenado is company of losers who constantly screwed up their own stuff over and over, can't even fix fundamental stuff. They never responds to any of the bug I ever submitted. I'm think I'm done with them for good. So conclude my mini review with do not buy from Carenado. Safe your money for other developers like A2A, ATS simulation...

I cannot confirm but another user have resolved by removing the airplane from content manager, then deleting the folder from the MFS directory and reinstalling the whole package....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P_R_S said:

I cannot confirm but another user have resolved by removing the airplane from content manager, then deleting the folder from the MFS directory and reinstalling the whole package....

Unfortunately I already did it. Except I didn't physically delete PA44 inside the folder, only in content manager

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I could have told you that years ago!😄  A shame that this seems to be the norm.  I also bought the aircraft....it was the first Carenado I bought in a very long time but I only got it because I thought this might be the Alabeo version (could be I guess) as I owned that in P3D and enjoyed it.  I started having CTD's with this aircraft immediately and were the first and only CTD's I have ever had in MSFS going back to Alpha 1.  I haven't really touched it in a few weeks but hope they can iron out these issues....oh and no CTD's since then.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

3 hours ago, P_R_S said:

Update. I deleted PA44 one more time in content manager. Then after exiting MSFS I deleted Seminole folder again physically in official/one store. I reinstalled it and HSI works. However, it doesn't register VLOC vs GPS just work by default as  VLOC would be on all the time. It cheered me up a bit but still why doesn't it happens. Was it a bad build that doesn't overwrite certain files ? I can only guess, but it's very frustrating 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Update. I deleted PA44 one more time in content manager. Then after exiting MSFS I deleted Seminole folder again physically in official/one store. I reinstalled it and HSI works. However, it doesn't register VLOC vs GPS just work by default as  VLOC would be on all the time. It cheered me up a bit but still why doesn't it happens. Was it a bad build that doesn't overwrite certain files ? I can only guess, but it's very frustrating 

😞 indeed...