Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

World Update II - North America

13 hours ago, Drumcode said:

I still did not make it to Japan post update. How good is the terrain data?

I don't have any "before" screenshots but you can guess it from the way it looks in Bing Maps. This is Mt Tsurugidake. It’s still slightly too rounded but compared to the Bing Maps shot it certainly improved a lot. If this is 5m mesh, imagine what 1m will look like!

pSLBuTa.jpg

Mt Tsurugidake IRL form a different angle:

EtxeJl1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Natural Resources Canada HRDEM cover (outside Artic territories) is far smaller than the US one :

Canada

High-Resolution Digital Elevation Model (HRDEM) generated from LiDAR – New data available! (nrcan.gc.ca)

US

https://portal.opentopography.org/datasets

I am not aware that Mexico has any large HRDEM map (which doesn't mean that none exists).

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Well it got as good 5M, the entire country isn't 5M, I don't think.

I'm still confused about the change in name this close to release.

The only airports we know about are in the USA, none in Mexico or Canada.

I checked the mountains near Hiroshima in the new Japan scenery. It's still quite flat and rounded. It's definitely not 5m, more like 70m or worse.😭

I wonder what datasource products like FS Global used? This mesh was significantly better than what we get with MSFS, all over the globe...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

19 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I wonder what datasource products like FS Global used? This mesh was significantly better than what we get with MSFS, all over the globe...

One thing is sure, Asobo didn't take stock of what existed to build upon it, here as in many other aspects of the sim.

Elevation maps can come from several sources and if small outfits like Pilot's or Orbx could find them, there is not reason why the MFS team with its probably enormous budget couldn't find them. They may have had a Ph.D in roof reconstruction but certainly not a GIS expert.   

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

One thing is sure, Asobo didn't take stock of what existed to build upon it, here as in many other aspects of the sim.

Elevation maps can come from several sources and if small outfits like Pilot's or Orbx could find them, there is not reason why the MFS team with its probably enormous budget couldn't find them. They may have had a Ph.D in roof reconstruction but certainly not a GIS expert.   

I really wish there be a MSFS version of FS Global. Why not!

1 hour ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

I really wish there be a MSFS version of FS Global. Why not!

In the latest wishlist snapshot is says „disappointing mountain terrain“ is planned for 2021. This makes me wonder if they‘ve planned some general DEM improvement, independent of the „world updates“. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

21 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

I hope they put the most up-to-date data in place for the little city of Wayland Michigan.  Its over 4 year old data and my house doesnt even exist yet in current MSFS.

If they don't update......no buy!!

oh, wait.......I already bought the sim.

May I recommend aligning yourself with the data by razing your house to the ground? I'm planning the same.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

I checked the mountains near Hiroshima in the new Japan scenery. It's still quite flat and rounded. It's definitely not 5m, more like 70m or worse.😭

Did my first flight in Japan yesterday. The terrain data is so accurate you can follow roads through valleys in mountain ranges. I was very impressed. In the 152 on generic ultra settings. 

On 11/20/2020 at 2:46 PM, Will Fly For Cheese said:

That's entirely understandable. I'm the same.

The old boys over at the sim outhouse haven't been idle. . .

50616596642-b9ea0b229d-b.jpg

50616541592-32f65c4d42-b.jpg

7YJNy7.png

It's going to be okay.

YES...!!!

Bring on the WWII UPDATE...!!!

• Like 2

Chris Camp

Normally I would not be much interested about flying over the USA, I am doing a lot more flights in area where you have a lot of islands, mainly because with my 512kb connection only allows me to fly with FSX style ground textures.

But since, they nearly finished installing the fiber near my place in Western Africa, I will soon get 200Mb, So the USA update, might be my first visual slap in the face since I started using MSFS 

• Upvote 1

Japan is really nice with the update but I doubt the coverage of the US will be nearly as complete as Japan. The US is over 25 times larger by area than Japan, and North America over 60 times larger, so the update would have to be huge. Not taking into account the massive number of cities in the US compared to Japan. I am looking forward to it though, there should be nice improvements in some areas.

Edited by desbean

11 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Natural Resources Canada HRDEM cover (outside Artic territories) is far smaller than the US one :

Canada

High-Resolution Digital Elevation Model (HRDEM) generated from LiDAR – New data available! (nrcan.gc.ca)

US

https://portal.opentopography.org/datasets

Well then, it would have been relatively simple for them to include Canada in Tuesday’s world update. 
But I expect they are just getting each other confused. Jaynes forum post says USA.

• Upvote 1

Possibly 10 m mesh for whole Us

and some areas of interests at 5 m

5 m and 1 m data are not yet available for the whole of the states

With 1m or even with 5m mash I expect a Mega Stuttering!!!

Edited by OSM