Sign in to follow this  
masino

P3D 5.1 HF1 - ActiveSky Build 7628 - No Clouds

I have to say that LM did an amazing job improving the simulator even further. Fortunately I'm not experiencing issues I keep hearing about on the forum, except for one in particular issue and I feel like it's more the operator than the software.

Using the latest build of Active Sky, I'm not able to get clouds to display. Temperature, visibility and pressure is correct but the sky is always clear. When I open the P3D weather menu and select the Active Sky theme I see clouds for a few seconds until they start to dissolve and the sky going back to clear. I tried activating and deactivating the EA setting within Active Sky without success. I've also set the amount of cloud layers down to 1 within Active Sky.

The Active Sky theme is showing one layer with bottom and top for the clouds and coverage, in this case it was 7/8 at 3,000'. So the information is being pulled correctly and send to the simulator, just not displaying it.

Am I missing a setting or procedure I'm supposed to do? 

You have to load a flight plan now in AS to see the wx with EA on, are you doing that?

• Upvote 1

Hi Masino,

Are you running Hifi’s new beta version (I believe) from yesterday? I believe this was fixed, but it’s still a public beta. 

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

28 minutes ago, kand said:

You have to load a flight plan now in AS to see the wx with EA on, are you doing that?

I was not loading a plan within AS. That was it! Thank you, now I see the clouds and they do not dissolve. Thank again!

28 minutes ago, Peter Z KCLE_EDDN said:

Hi Masino,

Are you running Hifi’s new beta version (I believe) from yesterday? I believe this was fixed, but it’s still a public beta. 

Cheers,

Pete

Yes, running the lates build 7628.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If anyone is experiencing missing clouds I recommend the following:

1) Verify the problem is persisten with no 3rd party weather add-ons. So close any 3rd party weather tool and load fair weather theme.. then load thunderstorms.. if you see no clouds at this point.. you have an issue. If you see clouds, ignore the steps below, it is related to 3rd party weather.

2) If you have an issue. Do a backup of your key assignments, this is a file located here: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls. Copy both files.

3) Execute the script Delete Generated Files located inside your P3D installation directory.

4) Load P3D, repeat step 1. Confirm you see clouds.

5) Close P3D. copy the backup files for controls in the directory where you did the backup of the files.

6) Launch P3D.

These steps resets P3D settings but will restore the clouds, step 2 and 5 ensures you don't have to set all your key settings, joystick assignments, etc. again.

There was a bug during early  beta causing clouds to be missing, I suffered from it a couple of times and it was corrected a couple of weeks ago. I confirmed it as fixed, however the symptoms described here are very similar and the steps  above used to help me to restore the clouds each time until the bug was reported as fixed by LM.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 2

had the same problem. Solution: Delete the cached weather snapshot and the wx file and try again

• Like 1

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

16 minutes ago, Kaiii3 said:

had the same problem. Solution: Delete the cached weather snapshot and the wx file and try again

how do I do that ??

38 minutes ago, Kaiii3 said:

open AS, under options is the path to that location

THIS did the trick. My clouds disappear over time after weather gets updated. Deleting those two files, while in flight, does bring back the clouds after you click on "refresh weather" at the ASP3D DEBUG section.

Thanks Kaiii3

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

31 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

THIS did the trick. My clouds disappear over time after weather gets updated. Deleting those two files, while in flight, does bring back the clouds after you click on "refresh weather" at the ASP3D DEBUG section.

Thanks Kaiii3

Is this really a good solution? I don't want to hassle with files during a flight.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

36 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Is this really a good solution? I don't want to hassle with files during a flight.

They will be created "while you are flying".

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I had no clouds as well after and found this solution posted by Rob A. on the HiFi forum, it worked for me.

Basically you need to delete the VolumetricClouds.cfg file and let it rebuild because it doesn't do this with the P3D update and a whole section of Global files is missing.

See the link below for more details -

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/build-7628-p3d-v5-1-hf1-issues-partial-workaround.13349/#post-59979

Thanks to Rob as usual!

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

Ahh Rob just asked me to post that information here on AVSIM, I just did: 

S.

I was just communicating with him as well, no worries it's good to get the info distributed amongst the community.

Joe

• Like 2

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2