captain420

Henrik Nielsen's Global AI Ship Traffic for MSFS

It really is as simple as above and it works great.

I have the odd ship with white textures (missing?), but most are fine.

The wakes weren't too bad. They had little holes in them but looked fine from a distance. Shame they were broken by the last update for reasons unknown. 🙁

I would like to know what Asobo did to cause this actually, as changes to water rendering were not mentioned in the patch notes.  Too many unusual things happening like this lately.

Just a note about the layout generator. To those who have never used it before, it seems like it has not done anything at first when you drag and drop.  It has, it is just really quick, check the file date time and you will see. 👍

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

If I recall correctly, you only need to set ship traffic in your config to at least 5%, which will give you all of the add-on traffic. If you set it too high you get way too much of the default crud floating around in weird places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gunther said:

If I recall correctly, you only need to set ship traffic in your config to at least 5%, which will give you all of the add-on traffic. If you set it too high you get way too much of the default crud floating around in weird places.

I set it at 25% and that is plenty for me.

8 hours ago, Kodiakman9 said:

Ok.  Couple of questions.  

1.  What do you mean by install the content properly?  When I unzip the file the package (folder) is put together for me.

2.  Where do I find the .json files

3.  Where are the manifest files

1) Yes, install the unzipped package into your MSFS community folder. Now you should have the unzipped "Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2" folder/subfolders/files in your MSFS Community folder.

2) If you have any other mods, then go into one of there folders and copy the manifest.json and layout.json and place them in the "Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2" folder. If you don't have any other mods, then you can simply grab any layout.json and manifest.json from one of the MSFS aircraft in the MSFS official folders.It doesn't matter which ones as you'll be modifying them.

3) That's the manifest.json file that you grabbed along with a layout.json file. They should both now be in your "Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2" folder that's now in your MSFS Community folder.

Next, place the MSFSLayoutGenerator described elsewhere in this thread into the "Global_AI_Ship_Traffic_V2" folder. Once you have the layout.json and manifest.json files in that folder also, then simply drag the layout.json onto the MSFSLayoutGenerator file and it will modify the layout.json to work with the ship mod. It's a good idea to then edit the manifest.json file with a text editor so that you don't have two mods titled the same thing. This is what my manifest.json looks like:

{
  "dependencies": [],
  "content_type": "CUSTOM",
  "title": "Global AI Ship Traffic V2",
  "manufacturer": "",
  "creator": "Henrick Nielson",
  "package_version": "2.0.0",
  "minimum_game_version": "1.8.2",
  "release_notes": {
    "neutral": {
      "LastUpdate": "",
      "OlderHistory": ""
    }
  },
  "total_package_size": "418216"
}

You don't have make it the same as mine as it's simply a description to MSFS and mod managers of what the mod is, no more. The total package size doesn't have to be right in it either. The layout.json is more important to get right and that's where the MSFSLayoutGenerator comes in. It changes the layout.json in your mod folder to match the parameters of your mod.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

James

Nice I got it to work woohoo boats in the Puget Sound!!!

• Like 4

Check out this Coast Guard sailing ship found near Friday Harbor, Puget sound.  It moves.

uZ2fBR.png

• Like 4

Thanks all for those more detailled instructions, I will check this evening if that works. Converting the remaining textures to .dds will not be that much of an hassle...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

9 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Thanks all for those more detailled instructions, I will check this evening if that works. Converting the remaining textures to .dds will not be that much of an hassle...

What does converting the textures to .dds do?  And how do you convert them?

I did as per the instructions, however my Linker keeps telling me "could not read the manifest.jason file." Anyone got any clues? Thanks.

Edited by johnbla

8 hours ago, johnbla said:

I did as per the instructions, however my Linker keeps telling me "could not read the manifest.jason file." Anyone got any clues? Thanks.

Do you even have one in the ship folder? it's rather generic

{
  "dependencies": [],
  "content_type": "SCENERY",
  "title": "",
  "manufacturer": "",
  "creator": "",
  "package_version": "0.1.0",
  "minimum_game_version": "1.9.5",
  "release_notes": {
    "neutral": {
      "LastUpdate": "",
      "OlderHistory": ""
    }
  }
}

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

@jimcarrel In your "Linker" in the right hand column for Community folder it will give the full title - which you are not telling us. If it is global_ai_ship_traffic_v2_CVT and with a grey background, then you will be able to sleep tonight!

Leave it there it is not doing anything. In fact if you have ported over anything from FSX it will end with CVT. But don't delete the one with the green background.

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

For those of you with the MS Store version of MSFS. Dragging the layout.json file over MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe doesn't seem to update the layout.json file for me. They're encrypted. How do you get around this?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

9 minutes ago, captain420 said:

For those of you with the MS Store version of MSFS. Dragging the layout.json file over MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe doesn't seem to update the layout.json file for me. They're encrypted. How do you get around this?

I just dragged and dropped it worked for me, MS store version.

• Like 1