Sign in to follow this  
newbert

Returning to Flight Simming - Need Advice

I'm considering returning to Flight Simming after a long time away.  My most current sim is FSX (Steam Edition).  I'm interested in a simple to learn, uncomplicated flight sim with excellent graphics, because I like to just relax and cruise overhead and enjoy the scenery.

So, I'm wondering which current sim you might recommend for someone like me?   And while I'm at it, I'll need a decent, simple controller.  A simple joystick would probably suffice.

My system specs are"

i7-7700 CPU 3.6 Ghz

16 Gigs Ram

Geforce 1660Ti Graphics Card

Windows 10

So - Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I'd stick with FSX-SE for the next 6 months or so until the new one is working as advertised!

• Upvote 3

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Newbert,

Firstly let me extend a warm welcome to AVSIM or a warm Welcome Back to AVSIM.

I think that you may struggle somewhat, whichever platform you choose, due to computer specs. You will find, I think, that you will have to set your sliders back and work up from there. 

All the current platforms currently require some pretty hefty hardware to run smoothly with good graphics and good FPS. This is not to say that you cannot "join the club" regardless of which sim you choose. Depending on your internet, I would recommend MSFS for a beginner because the graphics are very good even on low settings. The default aircraft are probably the best for any default sim. My second choice would be XPlane11 but only because I think their minimum specs are a little more forgiving than P3D, particularly for sliders well to the left. P3D is probably a better sim in the long term because of its advanced level of add-ons, but will struggle, I think with your specs. A good guide is just how well your computer performs with FSX steam.  Those FPS will be pretty much the same across the board I would think,

In the long term, I believe it all boils down to YOUR expectations and what you want, in the future.  There is a huge amount of documentation out in the public arena regarding all the sim platforms and you would be well advised to do some research before making the plunge. The alternative, of course, in the interim is to stay with FSX Steam, which is still not too shabby a flight sim platform.

Regarding your joystick, you are dead right, any simple joystick will do.  The better the joystick or yoke combination is, of course, will increase your immersion and enjoyment in your chosen platform.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your final choice mate.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Welcome!

I suggest you give FS2020 a try, using xbox live trial subscription to see if you computer can give you a satisfactory performance.

FS2020 is THE BEST, if you want to do some simple VFR exploring and flying around the city. 

Not other flight simulator comes close to it when it comes to visuals.

The satellite imagery and lighting are very good.

Give it a try.

If you want to keep it simple and you already have FSX-Steam Edition, then stick with FSX-Steam Edition for now.  In the future, I expect MSFS will be the way to go, but that is in what I would consider a public beta version.  The developers are still chasing down bugs and adding features, but once it is finished, it sounds like it will be the sim for most of us.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I concur with the previous posts. I'm still on FSX:SE as I'd need a new rig and OS for FS2020.

Regarding a simple joystick, you might want to consider the relatively inexpensive Thustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. I think I paid £39.99 for mine from GAME. I've had mine for at least a couple of years now and it's still going strong apart from replacing the USB cable after I broke it because it fell off my chair :blush:

On the front of the throttle there is a proportional rocker arm which I used to good effect as a rudder control, until I received a set of pedals one Christmas. I still have the trigger on the joystick configured as the brakes, but have differential braking via the pedals.

The other switches I have configured for trim up, trim down, view change, gear up/down toggle, anti skid toggle (no feedback to tell if I'm locking up the wheels or not :wink:), speedbrake toggle, flaps down, flaps up and thrust reverse (hold down to build up to full reverse). I just rock the throttle forwards to cancel revers thrust. Pretty much got everything covered! Oh and the hat switch for panning the views around :cool:

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Another vote for sticking with FSX for now. Try MSFS if you like but I guarantee you won't try it long. As Charlie says above, stay where you are for the next six months. Or at least until MSFS gets out of Beta stage and starts working well enough to really enjoy it.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Welcome to Avsim.

FSX is cheap and usable (The Steam version is the best and least expensive and is available as a digital download so it's really easy to set it up). Having said that, you can try the new MS flight sim for very little if you get a trial membership for MS games (I think it costs a Dollar to  try it for a month), and the only downside to that is it is quite a big download, but, it does run pretty well on even a modest computer, so if you can tolerate the (possibly) lengthy time it takes to download and install (depending on your internet connection speed), then that might be worth a shot, and then perhaps buy it afterwards if you like what you see.

Otherwise, I'd say FSX is a good choice - lots of stuff available, it's cheap and in spite of it not being so new, it is a very good flight simulator with tons of great stuff available for it, pretty much any aeroplane or helicopter you could ever think of.

If you like military stuff and want to shoot things, give DCS World a look (also free to try out), or if you prefer something more serene such as gliding, give Condor II a look, there are lots of free photorealistic sceneries available for it.

Another vote for the T-Flight joystick from me. It's inexpensive but offers loads of choice - video review of it by me can be seen on this video:

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

Another vote for sticking with FSX for now. Try MSFS if you like but I guarantee you won't try it long. As Charlie says above, stay where you are for the next six months. Or at least until MSFS gets out of Beta stage and starts working well enough to really enjoy it.

W2DR,

The OP is actually asking for advice about performance related to his computer. MSFS I believe, IS actually out of beta, regardless of your views. His computer specs have nothing to do with its stage of development and everything to do with how it will handle MSFS. My guess is that he will struggle, at least with high to ultra settings. 

I would further argue, that MSFS is at a stage where it is very much more enjoyable than default P3D or XPlane.  

With 2 posts under his belt and a revived interest in flight simming, I hardly think he needs your type of unsolicited and largley unsubstantiated comments regarding its stage of development.

I really wish this type of rubbish would stop.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I would say that it all depends on what sort of aircraft you wish to fly and also how much you are looking to spend.

I currently use box FSX Steam Edition and Boxed edition with some ORBX and UK2000 scenery and I am very happy, if flying study level tubeliners are your thing you are better off sticking with FSX for the time being, You also have the excellent range of GA aircraft from A2A.

If GA is more of your thing then the new sim certainly can cater for you and it does look amazing, Its a great time to come back to flight sim.

• Upvote 1

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

9 hours ago, Billcoke said:

Recently, I bought a Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition, checked the web, but can't find info on how to do key mapping for P3D V4. Need help, many thanks in advance.

I don't have P3D but I have the same stick and was able to assign controls to it using FSX's default controller settings.  I use FSUIPC for anything that the default control setup can't help me with.  P3D's help section (scroll down to the last section) may assist you.  You shouldn't have to do anything special compared to other flight sim controllers.

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/scenarios/scenario_tools/controls.html

As for the OP, if you want to keep it simple and enjoy great graphics, go for MSFS.  I have both FSX and MSFS and for the time being I am using FSX more until MSFS's updates makes it as polished as FSX is for more intensive simming purposes.

Edited by TextRich
Wanted to respond to OP too.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

5 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I would further argue, that MSFS is at a stage where it is very much more enjoyable than default P3D or XPlane.  

With 2 posts under his belt and a revived interest in flight simming, I hardly think he needs your type of unsolicited and largley unsubstantiated comments regarding its stage of development.

Sigh................

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:10 PM, avistudent said:

Welcome!

I suggest you give FS2020 a try, using xbox live trial subscription to see if you computer can give you a satisfactory performance.

FS2020 is THE BEST, if you want to do some simple VFR exploring and flying around the city. 

Not other flight simulator comes close to it when it comes to visuals.

The satellite imagery and lighting are very good.

Give it a try.

Yes - I'd like to try this. but I'm not familiar with Xbox Live.  How does the trial subscription work for a PC and FS2020?.  Could you provide a link?

Thanks.

Edited by newbert
Typo

On 11/22/2020 at 8:09 AM, W2DR said:

Sigh................

OP Here.... Sorry if my simple inquiry resurfaced some old disagreements.  This is all new to me.

Welcome to the forum(s). No need to apologize for anything. Sometimes the gang here just goes a little off-the-wall when expressing strong feelings (myself included). Very seldom is any of the banter taken too seriously. Hang around here a while and one thing will be obvious real soon...we all sometimes don't hesitate to say exactly what we feel. But don't take any of it too seriously. A lot of the folks here are old farts like me and we're a bit set in our ways. Anyway, there's a LOT of smart people and a lot knowledge here so don't let the mickey-mouse stuff that sometimes occurs chase you away. We were all new to this once and sometimes need a reminder of that. Come back often and don't be afraid to ask questions (or express an opinion 🙂).

• Like 1