Sign in to follow this  
newbert

Returning to Flight Simming - Need Advice

19 hours ago, TextRich said:

Thank you for the link TextRich!   It turns out that my PC already is set up as advised in the link, so that eases my mind.  (I'm kind of anal about my PC.....).

So, that leaves only one more question:  From where should I download FS2020? (Link, please...)  I see it as a digital download at Best Buy's website, but I'm sure that there must be other sources.

Thanks again to everyone.  And I hope that you all had a Happy Thanksgiving today!  8-)

Bert  

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Bert.  You can go to the MSFS official site and order online from there.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

3 hours ago, TextRich said:

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Bert.  You can go to the MSFS official site and order online from there.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Last question, I promise!  (I think) 

I now see that MSFS is also available on Steam (for which I already have an account).  Is there any particular problem with using Steam's version?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, newbert said:

Last question, I promise!  (I think) 

I now see that MSFS is also available on Steam (for which I already have an account).  Is there any particular problem with using Steam's version?

Thanks again!

I also have Steam (still a FSX:SE user here) but to my understanding the Steam version of MSFS has an installer within an installer.  It made a lot of new simmers angry the first few days when they had to wait hours for the sim to download, and when it wouldn't work they couldn't get the 2-hours-or-less refund because the Steam wrapper was considered playing time even though the sim itself had not been working.  If at all possible I prefer to get it straight from the source so I suggest the Microsoft Store link I sent you.  This isn't to say that the Steam version shouldn't exist - it is an additional distribution option.  Some young gamers may not have a credit card but they have Steam gift cards, for instance.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

11 hours ago, TextRich said:

I also have Steam (still a FSX:SE user here) but to my understanding the Steam version of MSFS has an installer within an installer.  It made a lot of new simmers angry the first few days when they had to wait hours for the sim to download, and when it wouldn't work they couldn't get the 2-hours-or-less refund because the Steam wrapper was considered playing time even though the sim itself had not been working.  If at all possible I prefer to get it straight from the source so I suggest the Microsoft Store link I sent you.  This isn't to say that the Steam version shouldn't exist - it is an additional distribution option.  Some young gamers may not have a credit card but they have Steam gift cards, for instance.

OK, then.  Very useful info.  Thanks!

Well - I tried ordering from the Microsoft Store (Honest - I really did for the past 45 minutes) AND I GIVE UP!  Never have I had to jump thru so many intrusive hoops just to make an online purchase.

First, after asking to establish a new MS Account password (TWICE), I finally got to the "Purchase" screen and updated my CC info.  It took 2 tries to do that as well.

Then when I clicked on "Install/Play", it started the entire process over again.

Now, I can't even be sure whether or not MS charged me for the puchase (although I never saw any confirmation or sales tax screen)........

So, I'm pretty Steamed right now.....Maybe I should have ordered from Steam after all! (Pun intended).

I hope that the sim works better than the purchasing process does!

EDIT:  Well MS DID charge my CC.  (I got an e-mail notification with a link to my order).  So, to make a long story short, I finally got the download started.  (Don't ask me ho, though.)  Fingers Crossed.

Still one of the most unnecessarily convoluted purchase processes I've ever seen!  I just hope that it's all worthwhile in the end!

Edited by newbert
Additional Info
  • Upvote 1

Got it all up and running, along with new TM stick.  Now, I've got to find some good, basic, easy-to-follow tutorials!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, newbert said:

Got it all up and running, along with new TM stick.  Now, I've got to find some good, basic, easy-to-follow tutorials!

Congratulations!  The in-sim tutorials under the Learning Center on the left side of the main menu is great.

Edited by TextRich

Clear Skies, newbert! 🍻

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)