Sign in to follow this  
tpgiovanni

Enhaced Atmosphere x Clouds

Hi guys!!

I have the recent hotfix installed for P3dv5 and I have the following issue when EA is enable:

nuvens.png

My configs: Core i7 9th gen, 16gb ram and RTX 2070 MAX Q. Its an Alienware.

Does anybody know anything??With Xplane 11 and xEnviro I have the same problem.

Thanks

Try using a weather program for P3D there are a couple of products available which helps to reduce these.

If not search these forums for a tweak found by users who edited the volumetricclouds.cfg to improve these squares.

Regards,

S.

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Try using a weather program for P3D there are a couple of products available which helps to reduce these.

If not search these forums for a tweak found by users who edited the volumetricclouds.cfg to improve these squares.

Regards,

S.

I am using one..does not matter on or off. I think that could be something regarding my video card, because the processor is working fine, all of them. With 747 PMDG and default scenaries I can get good fps. Just the clouds are like this..I don't even know how to describe this effect!!

10 minutes ago, tpgiovanni said:

I am using one..does not matter on or off. I think that could be something regarding my video card, because the processor is working fine, all of them. With 747 PMDG and default scenaries I can get good fps. Just the clouds are like this..I don't even know how to describe this effect!!

What are you using for weather? 

29 minutes ago, simbol said:

What are you using for weather? 

For P3dv5 I am using FSRealWX 3.0. But as I said, on or off, same issue!!

I can confirm this with FSGRW too. P3D changed something regarding the cloud parameters. Damian confirmed this. Clouds look different, worse in my opinion and very pixelated. 

Look here how blocky they became. The resolution, also they may not have changed this, LOOKS worse. I hope Damian can make them look better with ASP3D own cloud parameters. 

I do not see the need why LM did make it worse instead of better. Performance with the prior P3D V5.1 version was not an issue (at my end).

A other dev, who has experiences with truesky (maybe indirect) but with volumetric clouds, said truesky is very limited in its possibilities. Also the color changing of the sunsets and dawn can, so his statement, NOT be changed which is absolutely not understandable.

That would mean we are sticked with this "mars-mission-looking-sim"?

I did some testing myself with the cloud grid pattern as LM gave us some parameters to tweak (grid-x and grid-z). This has MAJOR impact on performance tuning these parameters to "lower" grid patterns. It will indeed increase the looks, but roughly half your fps when increasing the numbers only by 10 to 20% (tested with VR in mind in single pass VR mode).

Also the cloud layer has an issue. It looks flat and the clouds, rendered at horizon, are looking as they raise way too much in the sky. Panning around it seems like you are in the middle of an funnel and the upper funnel boundary is the horizon with the cloud layer. Within VR it looks much worse compared with 2D. But also on 2D this is very noticeable. At sunsets and dawn the sun shines below the layer and does raise this effect.  This is also visible on my first picture below. If you look good at the far drawn clouds in the layer, you see much blue sky below the cloud and above the earth. Layer is fully flat (should not be), earth is slightly round, as it should be. This kills the immersion and I don´t know if LM can change this. The layer must match almost the earth at horizon which is logical as the earth and cloudlayer are not flat and will visually spoken "match/come together" at horizon.

I posted this layer thing on their forums too. Half a year ago twice, now again. No feedback and no commitment from them that this will be changed one day.

If they could just take care of these 6 points (in that order I would suggest) below:

1. Reduce orange/red sky at dawn/dusk
  2. Place the misplaced flat layer right so the horizon will "almost" match the earth visually
  3. Reduce pixelated clouds, make them more fluffy/smooth
  4. Avoid simobjects shining through clouds (FOG is ok now. Clouds are NOT covering the simobjects)
  5. Reduce the grid! Especially looking down, what pilots do often, this looks horrible
  6. Reduce the light which reaches the "ground" at OVC conditions. With OVC condition I have strong light at ground which looks not right at all.....strong shadows with "very strong shadow boundaries" at OVC does not fit 

Maybe @simbol can reach them these suggestions as I think, reading the forums, this is common sense (maybe not the order, but the subjects I think are).

Thanks a lot! Marcus

3e060lq.pngHpFUIY4.pngDZSClS4.png

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I posted a similar list yesterday on the private beta forums.

As I said before, I keep asking them everytime I get a chance to do so, they know..

I also praised the positive changes, and I invite people to please do the same.

S.

21 minutes ago, simbol said:

I posted a similar list yesterday on the private beta forums.

As I said before, I keep asking them everytime I get a chance to do so, they know..

I also praised the positive changes, and I invite people to please do the same.

S.

Thanks! I posted this list on their forum too. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png