Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

This logbook is a mystery...

Today I flew my C172 in VFR from my departure airport to the coast. Following the coast was easy to reach my destination airport, I just entered a DIRECT in the GPS to know the distance to my destination, it was 45 NM and I can estimate I flew 20 NM to reach the coast. I landed fine, then checked my logbook: it states I flew 21 minutes !?!

I didn't measure the time but my feeling is that I flew approximately 1 hour, maybe a little less. Even if I only take into account the "known" distance I checked, 45 NM from the DIRECT to my destination, it would mean that my C172 flies at 128 kts ground speed. This is probably true as there was almost no wind, but what about the part of the flight I flew before reaching the coast? What about the 360° turn I did to better see one of city along the coast?

This logbook is definitely wrong, completely wrong. I have been simming for almost 40 years (since Sublogic FS 1.0 in 1982) and I never cared about the logbook. I don't know why I feel it so important in MSFS...

Your comments are welcome, especially if you experienced the same problem.

• Like 1

As much as I like MSFS, the logbook is completely broken. It works "sometimes", not more or less. There are a number of threads on this on the official forum detailing possible causes and solutions, but none of them - and I tried quite a number of them myself - works reliably.

According ot the recent priority list, Asobo started to work on this, but no date given.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I gave up on on the logbook early on, which is indeed fatally broken. I went back to my old trusted Excel sheet.

Dan Scott

On 11/21/2020 at 7:25 AM, Rocky said:

This logbook is definitely wrong, completely wrong. I have been simming for almost 40 years (since Sublogic FS 1.0 in 1982) and I never cared about the logbook. I don't know why I feel it so important in MSFS...

LOL I hear you man ! I never cared for a logbook ever since MSFS 5.1 CD so yeah little bit over 20 years.

Now that we were given one we expect it to work and when it doesn't it is very annoying, i have been flying lately with P2A and it MSFS logbook logs my flights, however every flight destination is logged as [ICAO] Vicinity, which to me applies that I crash every  time LMAO, even though i actually ask default MSFS ATC for taxi to gate and shut engines OFF etc.. but yeah, I never ever cared about logbook.. now that I have it, it angers me that it is so broken you are not alone!

But it passes ... just roll with it .... 😄

Logbook is pretty much useless in its current state. One of those things where you wonder “if it can’t be done properly, rather don’t do it at all”. Just some of the random issues:

Flight time is often not recorded correctly, usually under stated

Landings (count) is not recorded correctly

Take off (count) is not recorded correctly

Arrival airport is not recorded correctly, often stating “in vicinity of an airport that you did not even land at

When doing a multi sector flight without exiting the flight completely between legs - logbook has a total meltdown

No option to manually edit entries

So basically, absolutely nothing works, and not just occasionally, it’s almost all the time. Logbook is and has always been one of the most broken and poorly implemented parts of the sim. Not Asobo’s finest work, not by a nautical mile.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

The logbook is broken most of the time.  I think it worked better before one of the early updates, and then they made it worse.

My wife bought a refurb PS4 on sale recently and we picked up Gran Turismo Sport on sale for $9.  It's amazing - everything in the UI works the way it should, nothing is half broken.  There is even a complete manual for everything in one of the menus, imagine that!

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

There are threads on the official forum where you can vote to give logbook issues a higher priority

Logbook not updating after patch - Self-Service / Bugs & Issues - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Will Asobo investigate Logbook issues? - Community / Dev Q&A: Post Questions Here! - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Another possibility is a Zendesk report. You may consider supporting these efforts  (I did).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

If the logbook is so important for most of us, maybe it would be worth writing an external app that does it better and stores all the information in a database. I should be able to do this 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

The logbook is broken most of the time.  I think it worked better before one of the early updates, and then they made it worse.

My wife bought a refurb PS4 on sale recently and we picked up Gran Turismo Sport on sale for $9.  It's amazing - everything in the UI works the way it should, nothing is half broken.  There is even a complete manual for everything in one of the menus, imagine that!

Maybe the logbook will work fine on the Xbox version of MSFS 😄

48 minutes ago, Rocky said:

If the logbook is so important for most of us, maybe it would be worth writing an external app that does it better and stores all the information in a database. I should be able to do this 🙂

How about we keep up the pressure on Asobo to fix it instead. I'd hate to go back to my FSX/P3D days where I had to run half a dozen other apps concurrently with the sim to get basic functionality.

• Like 3

After several flight with the latest update, it seems the logbook is now working very well. Among other improvements, this is a good news and I am very happy about this update. Thank you Asobo 🙂

Yes, the flights are all in (so far) but several departures are still marked 0, although I start C&D from a proper ramp.

Kind regards, Michael