Sign in to follow this  
kenthom

4.5 to 5.1 HF1, is it time?

I have been reading posts and being very patient before making the leap to v5.  4.5 is stable and generally works well with average FPS.  I still experience stutters at times.  But in all fairness I have added a lot of scenery bgl files to my 3rd party airports via SimDirect.  I like my airports to look busy.   

My specs are JetLine System i7-4790 @4 ghs, 16 ram, 64 bit, Win 10, GTX 1080ti.  I have had it awhile but it still does the job well.

Can I expect a bump in performance?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, kenthom said:

I have been reading posts and being very patient before making the leap to v5.  4.5 is stable and generally works well with average FPS.  I still experience stutters at times.  But in all fairness I have added a lot of scenery bgl files to my 3rd party airports via SimDirect.  I like my airports to look busy.   

My specs are JetLine System i7-4790 @4 ghs, 16 ram, 64 bit, Win 10, GTX 1080ti.  I have had it awhile but it still does the job well.

Can I expect a bump in performance?

Thanks.

Yes

Runs smoother than 4.5 without stuttering with more stable FPS

My specs: Ryzen 5 2600x, 16 Gb Ram, Win 10, GTX 1080, many addons

Edited by Gabriellc
  • Like 1

I agree with Gabriellc. For me, much better performance and looks and no stuttering.

However, my opinion might not represent your average P3D user. If you care greatly about weather depiction, there's not a version of Active Sky yet. There's weird artifacts if you turn on EA.

I've been very selective as to what I've installed; just Orbx Base and NA land class and my favorite aircraft. No airports, nor GSX nor any number of such things; trying to keep it clean. So, my opinion is based on a very limited set of circumstances. You could wait until all of your aircraft and airport addons are compatible.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

ActiveSky has been updated to work with the latest Hot Fix.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

I fly PMDG NGXu nearly exclusively..  I think most of my favorite airports have updated.  However, I always use AS live weather.   I am patient and can wait until the weather is sorted out.  I really look forward to not having stutters.

Whoops, just saw the AS updated.  Need to find a day to spend with my PC. 

Edited by kenthom

13 minutes ago, pan pan pan said:

I have a GTX1080, 8gb, is that enough ?

Yes 🙂

Bert

3 hours ago, mwilk said:

ActiveSky has been updated to work with the latest Hot Fix.

Good. Sounds like it's getting close to release.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I just finished one of the smoothest flights I've ever had. NGXu from Orlando to Minneapolis. 5.1 was very fluid with no stutters the whole time. As soon as I closed P3D, I uninstalled 4.5. No need to keep it any more.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Tagging along to this question.  I've had v5 Professional since the day of release but haven't installed it because of the reported problems.  Now that v5.1 and the hotfix has been released I'm ready to jump in.  Would someone verify that the REX products aren't compatible and that I should use Active Sky and Active Sky Cloud Art.  Also, I keep reading about other things such as EA, True Sky, etc..  What should I do with those to keep crashes away?  I'll be following RD Presets v5 suggestions in terms of set up.  Thanks guys (and perhaps gals).

I’m also curious to this topic. I’ve been on 4.5 and love how well it looks and runs. Not sure if I see enough benefit in updating to v5.1. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Well installed 5.1 with hotfix. First time running V5 since I bought it the first week it came out. So far very enjoyable experience. Doing a flight VHHH-ZBAA with Aerosoft A330. Only other addons installed are FSUIPC, Active Sky with latest update, GSX, ORBX Global base. And scenery for both airports. Taxi2Gate and A_A Sceneries. Very smooth with no stutters. Only complaint is the depiction of clouds. Not sure how to fix if possible. But so far its running very good.

For what it is worth, I just deleted V4.5. off my system 🙂

Bert

9 hours ago, Chuck Dreier said:

Also, I keep reading about other things such as EA, True Sky, etc..  What should I do with those to keep crashes away?

Frankly, just install it without any addon programs to start.

TrueSky is embedded on V5.1.1. and is quite nice.. certainly enough to keep you busy for a while.

• Upvote 1

Bert

I would rather wait for a month to see how stable the sim is. 48-82 hours is obviously not enough