Sign in to follow this  
trisho0

PMDG 747-400 question

Your enthusiasm does you credit, Patricio. I understand completely why you want to fly the PMDG 747, rather than something smaller and more basic (as has been suggested in this thread). I am nowhere near an expert virtual pilot, but the quality and level of detail in PMDG products is a big attraction for me. I much prefer flying them to smaller planes, even though I am not able to land them at some of the highly detailed airfields that I have installed.

I am sure that your dedication will pay dividends, and you will be nailing those 747 flights in the very near future :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Your enthusiasm does you credit, Patricio. I understand completely why you want to fly the PMDG 747, rather than something smaller and more basic (as has been suggested in this thread). I am nowhere near an expert virtual pilot, but the quality and level of detail in PMDG products is a big attraction for me. I much prefer flying them to smaller planes, even though I am not able to land them at some of the highly detailed airfields that I have installed.

I am sure that your dedication will pay dividends, and you will be nailing those 747 flights in the very near future :wink:

Many thanks for your comments. What Departure/Arrival you can't land?

Patricio

Patricio Valdes

I mean those airfields that are too small for even my 737NGX, like ORBx Alderney, Shoreham and Welshpool.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I mean those airfields that are too small for even my 737NGX, like ORBx Alderney, Shoreham and Welshpool.

OK, give me a flight plan from which you can not land easily, ICAO/ICAO I want to give a try as a challenge for me (lol).

Patricio

Patricio Valdes

I only do short haul low level VFR flights in my planes (737NGX, and yes.....even the 777F and 747) around the UK and Netherlands (plus Dublin in the Republic of Ireland). I have no problem landing anywhere, although descending from 6000 feet after flying DIRECT TO between waypoints is not quite as difficult as a fully realistic trans continental flight at 35000 feet!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I only do short haul low level VFR flights in my planes (737NGX, and yes.....even the 777F and 747) around the UK and Netherlands (plus Dublin in the Republic of Ireland). I have no problem landing anywhere, although descending from 6000 feet after flying DIRECT TO between waypoints is not quite as difficult as a fully realistic trans continental flight at 35000 feet!!

Yes, I also was doing short trips somewhere around 50nm to 200nm with 747-400 but I flew and posted in this thread my first long haul SCEL-SAEZ. I am satisfied with my very last video flight, especially learned a lot from here Fuel programming and Take-Off procedures.

Patricio

• Upvote 1

Patricio Valdes

I found https://www.virtualairlines.eu/index.php/FuelPlanner to obtain fuel info for the PMDG 747-400

Aircraft:    Boeing 747-400
To:    LEBL Barcelona, Barcelona Spain
Distance:    297Nm
Block fuel:    17331lb    Block time    0:48    
Reserve fuel:    21839lb    Reserve time    1:00    
Empty weight:    412000lb
Pax/cargo weight:    66560lb
Zero fuel weight:    478560lb
Total fuel:    39170lb    Time to empty    01:48    
Take-off weight:    517730lb
Estimated landing weight:    500399lb

Do I need only to enter Zero fuel weight:    478560 lb in FMC?

Also, what is the minimum recommended distance between airports for the 747? 

Patricio

Patricio Valdes

6 hours ago, trisho0 said:

I just flew LFLL-LEBL with 747-400 and I think I did it fine. Any comments?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1skQmR3SCecDBFLr-y-nWZJ2a7j96YIPJ/view?usp=sharing

Patricio

You do get into the air eventually but to me and how I learned to fly the 747, a lot of your procedures are in the wrong order.

I suggest that if you can, you buy FS2Crew's 747 package, which will provide a co-pilot to assist you (but not take over). The flows are based on real-life procedures and you will soon learn.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Before he pays any money out, he really should take F737NGs advice, and do the 747 tutorial flights that are included in the package. PMDG tutorials are great for "step by step" instructions. It may seem rather slow and tedious at first, but I personally think that they are a great way of learning the basics. Much better than trying to follow video tutorials.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Interesting little side issue.......I reinstalled my version of the PMDG 747v3 this morning, and I noted that there were some updates available. I decided not to install these at first, but when I loaded the plane, all of the panels were dark, the undercarriage was missing, and the aircraft was silent. Installing the updates resolved the problem, but it begs the question.....are we not allowed to use older versions anymore?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

you don't need to align the ins after it's already aligned. If you load the plane with the engines running, the align procedure's already done for you.

I am not intended to become a real Pilot due to my age (lol). So, if I get the 747 a completed flight then that's set. My last 2 videos (night time) showed that. I was be able to take-off, cruise, Approach and landing.

What procedures are in the wrong order?

Patricio

Patricio Valdes

44 minutes ago, eslader said:

you don't need to align the ins after it's already aligned. If you load the plane with the engines running, the align procedure's already done for you.

Thanks to point that.

Patricio

Patricio Valdes