Sign in to follow this  
Fredco

V5 - What do/don't you miss?

2 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I already have the v5.0 HF2, but I'm still thinking of getting v4.5 HF3 because of its stability. I like the look of v5.1 HF1, but I also want a bugless & crashless, set & forget experience with minimal amount of tweaks, and therefore a stable simulator.

V5.1.1. is stable for me... and I am happy to have left the "cartoonish" look of V4 behind me.  No reason to start up V4.5.2. which I still have installed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

19 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Mate, I must say majority of those issues you have mentioned above is due to the fact you have a thousand addons in your sim.

And that my friend is a recipe for disaster.

mike

Yes? Honest NONE of them are related to my addons . That are all P3D visual things. Not even big issues but necessary enhancements with EA Truesky. Each single one of them.

Loading times are super. 1 minute and 20 seconds after starting P3D to get in the main screen and less then 15 seconds to get in the cockpit. 

So I really don't understand your reply. Sorry.....

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Don`t miss 4.5 uninstalled some time ago, v5 the more that use it and give feedback the better, like any sim moving forward is the answer and takes time.

FSX was unusable for some at the beginning and no PC could run it maxed out. and it had issues. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

V5.1.1. is stable for me... and I am happy to have left the "cartoonish" look of V4 behind me.  No reason to start up V4.5.2. which I still have installed.

Bert, do you have EA checked or unchecked?

thanks 

mike

Just now, mikeymike said:

Bert, do you have EA checked or unchecked?

thanks 

mike

Checked.

• Like 1

Bert

Really the only bad thing I have found with 5.1 is the EA clouds...funkyness for the lack of a better word. Sometimes good other times a pixelated mess.

11 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Really the only bad thing I have found with 5.1 is the EA clouds...funkyness for the lack of a better word. Sometimes good other times a pixelated mess.

Yes they need to enhance them more. But I am also curious what HiFi can do with the new parameter settings possible now. I played with them too and some settings do really change the look a lot.

My concerns are more about the mars color and flat cloud layer which raises the clouds to much towards horizon. Way to high.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

My 4.5 install started to not load up correctly so it was either a new install and start again or bite the bullet and upgrade to 5.

I was very hesitant to upgrade as it’s ‘ mission critical’ for me to have a working sim at the moment with shortly returning to real flying and a new aircraft after nine months stuck on the ground.

It’s taken a few days of playing around and I still have some issues that need resolving but on the whole I really like it . 
It’s the smoothest I’ve ever seen the platform and with the orbx TE califonias installed and EA on it looks truely realistic.

Personally I find it a very worthwhile upgrade from 4.5 to 5.1 and Ive no desire to load up MSFS and it’s plethora of (inop) buttons any time soon.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

I keep both P3D v4.5.3 and v5 (currently still v5.0.2, waiting for FSL and the Milviz wx radar before updating to v5.1.1).  There are a few acft that haven't come across to P3Dv5 yet (PMDG 777 and DC-6, Milviz DHC-3T for example), some sceneries that aren't compatible (some of the ORBX freeware collection, for example), and some utilities/enhancements (like Trueglass and PTA) that don't work with v5/DX12.

Biggest thing, though, is that P3Dv4 is mature and stable now that it's in its final form.  So if/when the v5 update stream causes some issues with certain acft/gauges/sceneries etc I can always fire up v4.5 and have at it there while we wait for a fix.  SSDs are cheap these days--keeping a parallel installation of v4.5 is a great fallback during the occasions we have to struggle with the by-products of progress in v5.  I'm always surprised to hear people talk about moving to v5 as if that includes a requirement to leave v4.5 behind--it really doesn't at all.

I am going to install v5.1HF1 and keep v4.5HF2 at least until I've installed everything and am happy with the end result. Do I NEED to get another SSD before I install? It's not the $$ just that my current P3D SSD is a 1TB NVMe with 690GB free. Is there a guide somewhere on how to structure the folders, or just bite the bullet and buy another one?

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Just now, bbuckley said:

I am going to install v5.1HF1 and keep v4.5HF2 at least until I've installed everything and am happy with the end result. Do I NEED to get another SSD before I install? It's not the $$ just that my current P3D SSD is a 1TB NVMe with 690GB free. Is there a guide somewhere on how to structure the folders, or just bite the bullet and buy another one?

No...no need to if there's room--although remember that you should keep 10-20% free space on the SSD (overprovisioning) or it'll slow way down. 

I like to keep parallel installations on separate drives--that makes managing them a little easier for me.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

9 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Do I NEED to get another SSD before I install? It's not the $$ just that my current P3D SSD is a 1TB NVMe with 690GB free.

No, absolutely no need...

The default naming is  X: Program Files \ Lockheed Martin \ Prepar3d v4 and Prepar3d v5

• Like 1

Bert

6 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, absolutely no need...

The default naming is  X: Program Files \ Lockheed Martin \ Prepar3d v4 and Prepar3d v5

I think I'm more unsure about other programs and addons.  I was going to install everything v5 into the 00 - P3DV5 folder. I'd like to move all the other folders into a P3DV4 folder but I think that will break a lot of links. Here's a link to pic of SSD structure.

E: SSD

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

1 hour ago, bbuckley said:

I think I'm more unsure about other programs and addons.  I was going to install everything v5 into the 00 - P3DV5 folder. I'd like to move all the other folders into a P3DV4 folder but I think that will break a lot of links

Why bother.. mixing up V4 and V5 will get you in trouble..

You've got lots of space 😉

• Like 1

Bert

19 hours ago, Rafal said:

I'm on 5.0 (not going to 5.1 HF1 yet) after jumping from 4.5.
I miss nothing because all I need (FSL A32X, ASPD3 and all the scenery and tools I use) is working.

Comparison? The main advantage for me has been performance.
For instance in 4.5 in huge busy airports I saw around 20 FPS in my A32X cockpit. Now in 5.0 in the same situation I see around 40 FPS! The gain is unbelievable.
On final approach or at crusing altitudes the difference is not so big, but still very impressive. 🙂👍

What's your system? That's a pretty big jump.

18 hours ago, w6kd said:

I keep both P3D v4.5.3 and v5 (currently still v5.0.2, waiting for FSL and the Milviz wx radar before updating to v5.1.1).  There are a few acft that haven't come across to P3Dv5 yet (PMDG 777 and DC-6, Milviz DHC-3T for example), some sceneries that aren't compatible (some of the ORBX freeware collection, for example), and some utilities/enhancements (like Trueglass and PTA) that don't work with v5/DX12.

Biggest thing, though, is that P3Dv4 is mature and stable now that it's in its final form.  So if/when the v5 update stream causes some issues with certain acft/gauges/sceneries etc I can always fire up v4.5 and have at it there while we wait for a fix.  SSDs are cheap these days--keeping a parallel installation of v4.5 is a great fallback during the occasions we have to struggle with the by-products of progress in v5.  I'm always surprised to hear people talk about moving to v5 as if that includes a requirement to leave v4.5 behind--it really doesn't at all.

Thanks for this. I had forgotten about Trueglass and the 717 which is a plane I was interested in before. I'm surprised that hasn't made it to v5.

I agree that about v4 being mature and that's the biggest reason why I'm inclined to go with it. I envy people that already had their fun with v4 and are comfortable with the move to v5. 🙂