Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

HP Reverb G2 with SteamVR for P3D

Received the G2 today but couldn't figure out why SteamVR wasn't working (headset not detected). 

Fix was simple: along with installing SteamVR, must also install "windows mixed reality for steamVR".

Coming from Rift cv1, the G2 display is great, P3Dv4/5/DCS colors are accurate and no screen door effect.  Can read gauges nice'n clear as long as in the sweet spot.  

• Like 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Since I plan to upgrade from my Rift-S to the HP Reverb G2, could you please compare FPS and smoothness between Rift and Reverb G2?

Thank you,

Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

g2 uses 2 x 2160 x 2160 lcd panels (4320x2160) so there are lot of pixels.  add some supersampling and it can tax the hw.  at native resolution, performance is as expected (like driving a 4k monitor) and image quality is still excellent.  

vr in single pass in wmr+steamvr looks odd so presently running at stereo mode which can almost halves the frame rate.  

will try to optimize the p3dv4/5 settings to see if performance can be improved for my aging system.  but no regret graduating from cv1 to g2.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

What are you getting for FPS?  I have a similar computer system and presently use the Rift CV1.

Danny

Single Pass was always the way to go with P3D to get any decent performance..

They still haven't optimized Full Stereo Mode in V5?

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

That's interesting. I didn't have a choice in my pre-order, or I might not have gotten the controllers. I don't think they're as bad as some people are saying as far as position tracking (though this is my first VR set, so it could just be that I don't know how good it can be). But for what I'm doing with it - primarily flight sim, of course - I think something like a Leap Motion setup would be better because it's very awkward (i.e, I don't bother with it) to grab a controller every time I want to push a button in the cockpit. 

I have a large “outlier” ipd of 73 mm. I ordered the g2 because the store told me it would probably be fine due to the large sweet spot. I did not receive the headset yet. I returned other headsets before,  mostly because the aircraft displays were hardly readible in those, which could be part because of my large ipd and the low resolution. Ans some were just too heavy ir unconfortable to wear.

So I was very happy that the “comfortable” reverb g2 with the higher resolution was coming. Unfortunately the ipd range is only 68 mm max.

I am not convinced the ipd will work for me, first i have to see it to believe it. Otherwise I will have to return it. Fingers crossed.

Since I am in the top 5 percent of the ipd bandwidth, plus there are relatively not many flight simmers, it means that there are not many people in the world that can share their experience about this issue with me, I realize that.

I will let you know later if it worked for me or not. If not, i guess people like me can’t use vr, unless the design will change to include larger ipd’s.

Edited by Neo44

12 hours ago, Neo44 said:

I have a large “outlier” ipd of 73 mm. .

My ipd is also larger than 68mm but the g2 still works fine for me. 

The only thing is the gasket is for a narrower head and the large standoff distance between the eye and lens which reduces fov. There are mods to allow closer eye placement so eye lashes are barely coming in contact with the lens for a larger fov. 

At this point the performance is similar to the cv1, g2 set with ss=140%.  25-30 FPS on p3d jets, which is perfectly fine with me. Vr is single pass and it’s working now.  I can get >45fps easy with DCS f14 with fairly high settings and it’s a blast. 

Gazing at objects at the corner of the field of view through the visual sweet spot is not super clear so it means adjusting the head to center the objects to get a better look. But when the objects are in the sweet spot, image quality is like what i see on the flat 4k display, but rendered in 3d. 

The blacks are black and night flying really looks good. No banding like the cv1 at night.  

Anyway, now looking forward experiencing fs20 in vr. 

Edited by kdfw__

KDFW,

How did you get the G2 to work in single pass in P3D?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Single pass works fine on p3d4 and 5. If it works using steamVR on one hmd, it should work with g2. 

I'm curious to hear more examples of framerates in different scenarios please, inside and outside VR with the G2, so we can all compare.

For example, my specs are in my signature and with v5.1 + HF on a 1080P monitor with ORBX True Earth UK North, flying circuits in Dino's single-seat A4 around Lossiemouth with stock weather and approximately medium settings I get 75-110 FPS (typically 80-90). With the same scenario, 90Hz, single-pass and 50% resolution with Motion Smoothing Enabled (the last two set in SteamVR video settings bespoke for Prepar3D) I get 10-20 FPS (typically 15) in the G2, which is just about flyable 😬

I guess locations, aircraft, settings and specs aside (dubious idea?!), FWIW, I'm most interested to hear like-for-like comparisons inside-and-outside the G2 😉👍

Edited by Airtrooper

i7-8086k OC @ 5GHz, 64Gb RAM,
GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Incidentally, does anyone know of a way to alter StreamVR video settings for an app (i.e. P3D) without having to have said app already running in VR?

In other words, annoyingly, SteamVR only recognises Prepar3D when it is running VR and not beforehand.

i7-8086k OC @ 5GHz, 64Gb RAM,
GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro