Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Saab 340 or QW 146

Hi Guys hope you are well.

I am currently using the Carenado Beechcraft B1900D in my video series and as this is drawing to a close I am looking for bigger aircraft for the 2nd series (European destinations). 

I have both the Carenado Saab340 and the QW146 collection in my hangar though have not really flown them much. I know the 146 is more indepth than the Saab but i can't make up my mind which one to use.  I would be very grateful for any advice on which one i should go for.

Kind regards

Daz

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Hi Daz,

I wasn’t aware of your video series until I read your post but just had a quick look at one of them and I must say it was very nicely done!

Although the Carenado Saab has perhaps a very slight edge in terms of eye candy for a video production, the QW 146 is far better from a systems viewpoint and still is visually very nice indeed. Also the somewhat higher cruising speed might allow you to fit longer routes into your videos which I notice are all less than an hour long. In addition the short field performance of the 146 is almost as good as the 340, allowing a selection of smaller airports to be used if you wish. I do however admit to being a bit biased towards the 146 anyway!!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Daz,

I don't know how long it takes for the startup on a Saab 340, but starting the QW 146 may actually take longer than one of your flights! :laugh: OK, I exaggerated a little. I recently bought the QW and I'm still getting used to it's complexity in that regard. I don't have TrackIR so me trying to get into a flow and switching/panning views around takes quite a bit of time at the moment. I recently subscribed to Navigraph so the FMC 's database is now up to date (another aspect I'm finally learning how to operate!). This is for the 146-100. I've not even looked at the RJs yet! (I too like the baby Jumbo.. :cool:)

That leads me to another thing - the QW package has 6? variants. Quite similar but different - 100/200/300 and RJ75/85/100. Technically that's a lot of aeroplanes in the one product. I don't know how many the Saab has. Either way both products should give you the opportunity to create many more videos. You may have to hire more stewardesses!! :blush:

• Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

39 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Hi Daz,

I wasn’t aware of your video series until I read your post but just had a quick look at one of them and I must say it was very nicely done!

Although the Carenado Saab has perhaps a very slight edge in terms of eye candy for a video production, the QW 146 is far better from a systems viewpoint and still is visually very nice indeed. Also the somewhat higher cruising speed might allow you to fit longer routes into your videos which I notice are all less than an hour long. In addition the short field performance of the 146 is almost as good as the 340, allowing a selection of smaller airports to be used if you wish. I do however admit to being a bit biased towards the 146 anyway!!

Bill

Hi Bill

Thankyou for the nice comment on my videos, really appreciate it :smile:. I sat down yeserday afternoon at Boston airport in the 146 in a cold and dark state and had a look at one of the tutorials that came with the plane. After about 20 mins i managed to get the engines started and got her into the air. It feels complete different from the Carenado planes I normally fly, does feel i have only touched the surface  with this plane. Most of the Carenado aircraft feel the same in the air.

• Like 1

My youtube channel

15 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Daz,

I don't know how long it takes for the startup on a Saab 340, but starting the QW 146 may actually take longer than one of your flights! :laugh: OK, I exaggerated a little. I recently bought the QW and I'm still getting used to it's complexity in that regard. I don't have TrackIR so me trying to get into a flow and switching/panning views around takes quite a bit of time at the moment. I recently subscribed to Navigraph so the FMC 's database is now up to date (another aspect I'm finally learning how to operate!). This is for the 146-100. I've not even looked at the RJs yet! (I too like the baby Jumbo.. :cool:)

That leads me to another thing - the QW package has 6? variants. Quite similar but different - 100/200/300 and RJ75/85/100. Technically that's a lot of aeroplanes in the one product. I don't know how many the Saab has. Either way both products should give you the opportunity to create many more videos. You may have to hire more stewardesses!! :blush:

You are so not wrong there! with the B1900D she is up and running in a matter of minutes, first thing i thought when i sat in the cockpit of the 146 is "crickey so many switches". I felt a bit overwhelmed to be honest. Looking at the tutorial I at least got her started and into the air. It does feel more like a real aircraft than the ones i have flown in the past ( haven't taken the 340 out yet but i am expecting it to be similar to the B1900D) I had a look on youtube for some easy to follow tutorials and not found a good one yet, people speak too fast and have practially zero knowledge setting up an FMS.

My videos could end up being 3 hours long especially as will be doing longer flight for the second series 🤣

• Like 1

My youtube channel

6 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

146 in a cold and dark state and had a look at one of the tutorials that came with the plane. After about 20 mins i managed to get the engines started and got her into the air.

I know what you mean! I remember when I first got the 146, I ended up putting it aside for about 6 weeks until I could find enough time to work through the relevant bits of the manual. It certainly has a few quirky bits compared to run of the mill Boeings and I must admit that generally now I use it from a ‘ready to fly’ rather than a ‘cold and dark’ state to avoid having to spend too much time clicking switches. 

Bill

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In total contrast to a modern Airbus: Battery on. Start APU (bleed air automatically supplied I think and AC packs also automatic). Switch on engine ignition. Switch Engine on and wait. Repeat for other engine(s) :laugh:.

Look forward to seeing some more adventures with Tappers Airlines as and when you want to make them. 🍻

EDIT: The 146: The only airliner to use 5 APU's :biggrin: :happy:

Edited by HighBypass
  • Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Which one, Carenado Saab 340 or QW 146?

Easy... Majestic Dash 8 Q400. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here