Sign in to follow this  
Dylanear

Almost no conifers or palm trees, almost all deciduous?

In coastal desert or tropical areas, coastal Southern California, Pacific Islands there's fluffy deciduous trees where there should be palm trees. Palm trees exist, I've seen a few here and there, just rarely. 

In mountainous areas or far northern areas most trees are conifers, but I don't think I've EVER flown over a predominately conifer forest or at least one that looked like one in MSFS, fluffy round deciduous trees everywhere.

Anyone modded the "biomes" file? 

Sure would like to see TerraFlora for MSFS, the trees just aren't accurately placed or diverse enough by default.

• Like 1

Yeah the Australian bush is full of crazy tall forests and our Icelandic friends are always making jokes about the "Black Forests of iceland" which apparently only exist in the game and not the real world.

Localisation of the genomes needs work.

• Upvote 2

No palm trees in the Cook Islands. I can vouch for the fact that both there and on Tarawa (Kiribati) the airport is surrounded by coconut trees (with the hazard of a coconut falling off a 50 ft high tree). 

Have have the programmers been genetic engineering and developed a tropical deciduous tree?

• Upvote 1

This is puzzling, because I'm sure in one of the Q&As Asobo said something about having "hundreds of tree species" or such like (don't remember the exact number).  I guess it's an issue with the underlying geographical data quality rather than a fundamental limitation of the tree model.  Hopefully that means it can be improved in due course.

It is in a beta status, like the whole simulator, so why do you wonder about it... add it to the enormous list of stuff that is "implemented" but in such a basic or broken condition, that we either need patches or again some 3rd party addon doing it right. So tired of this...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, loge said:

This is puzzling, because I'm sure in one of the Q&As Asobo said something about having "hundreds of tree species" or such like (don't remember the exact number).  I guess it's an issue with the underlying geographical data quality rather than a fundamental limitation of the tree model.  Hopefully that means it can be improved in due course.

Asobo has only made 7 species of tree for the entire world which is disappointing.  I hope they add some more in future.

here is a list what's available in the sim now:

Species name="acacia" 
Species name="deciduous"     
Species name="scrub"  
Species name="shrub"         
Species name="cactuc"
Species name="conifer"
Species name="palmtree"

9 hours ago, Dylanear said:

In coastal desert or tropical areas, coastal Southern California, Pacific Islands there's fluffy deciduous trees where there should be palm trees. Palm trees exist, I've seen a few here and there, just rarely. 

In mountainous areas or far northern areas most trees are conifers, but I don't think I've EVER flown over a predominately conifer forest or at least one that looked like one in MSFS, fluffy round deciduous trees everywhere.

Anyone modded the "biomes" file? 

Sure would like to see TerraFlora for MSFS, the trees just aren't accurately placed or diverse enough by default.

I have been working on this and fixed some of the issues in my seasons mod, where certain areas were missing palm tree and vise versa. For example LA have lots of palm trees as well as Hawaii but there is almost non.

Added palm tree in Los Angeles: (fall season)

K95p1HS.png

EjAyOIw.jpg

TvuuJoU.png

Hawaii:

rtLdfRh.png

Edited by BijanStudio
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

It is in a beta status, like the whole simulator, so why do you wonder about it... add it to the enormous list of stuff that is "implemented" but in such a basic or broken condition, that we either need patches or again some 3rd party addon doing it right. So tired of this...

I’ve been simming since the 1980s, and get the frustration, but this is a representation of the entire world, and the 80/20 rule applies. 80% of things are spectacular, but 80% of the negative focus is on the 20% that needs work. Tarawa? Really?

I’m an instrument rated pilot and I can tell you that for $120US, this sim is amazing. I’ve logged hours on FAA approved simulators that couldn’t hold a candle to this one (and cost more to use for an hour than this one to buy).

I think back to what FS8 and FS9 were like when they first came out, and worrying about the correct species of tree just seems a bit over the top, but that’s just me.

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I think back to what FS8 and FS9 were like when they first came out, and worrying about the correct species of tree just seems a bit over the top, but that’s just me.

Comments like the one you responded to make me equally tired.  You are presented w/ an unprecedented masterpiece for a lousy $119, complete w/ regular major updates coming out at a relatively frantic pace, and you get this kind of reception when everything isn't perfect.  Go back to the garbage it competes with is my suggestion to anyone who is 'so tired of this'!

Gorgeousness beyond compare, Nice FR.  The tree species will likely expand I'm sure as time goes on.

Nice.png

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

28 minutes ago, BijanStudio said:

Asobo has only made 7 species of tree for the entire world which is disappointing.  I hope they add some more in future.

here is a list what's available in the sim now:

Species name="acacia" 
Species name="deciduous"     
Species name="scrub"  
Species name="shrub"         
Species name="cactuc"
Species name="conifer"
Species name="palmtree"

I have been working on this and fixed some of the issues in my seasons mod, where certain areas were missing palm tree and vise versa. For example LA have lots of palm trees as well as Hawaii but there is almost non.

Added palm tree in Los Angeles: (fall season)

K95p1HS.png

EjAyOIw.jpg

TvuuJoU.png

Hawaii:

rtLdfRh.png

after all its a "flight sim" not a tree sim!!!!!

10 hours ago, Dylanear said:

MSFS placer 3 trees in my garden in the perfect place. So I think the UK pass's 

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

14 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

Oh I am very sorry, I didn't know that.

• Like 2

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

17 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

Are you sure about that...?

Seems like Aboso released MSFS as more of a scenery simulator than a fight sim ATM...

So why would you be surprised about people complaining about the trees? 

• Like 2

Chris Camp

To be honest the devs need to add a lot more types and fine tune the trees in the sim by location, and by doing so, the tree types will define what type of year they change color and the leaves fall (if at all).  This is the true and proper way to solve not just the trees but season colors.

3 minutes ago, Greazer said:

To be honest the devs need to add a lot more types and fine tune the trees in the sim by location, and by doing so, the tree types will define what type of year they change color and the leaves fall (if at all).  This is the true and proper way to solve not just the trees but season colors.

Sure we hope they do and my guess is they will, and they know this more than anyone else.   The problem is they have a whole lot to do beyond addressing every detail possible. They have to budget their dev time with perhaps a current drive to ready MSFS for Xbox, and the port to DX-12.   The sim already, despite it's limited tree species and other shortcomings, is so spectacular already it's just a matter of time to watch it continue to unfold and develop.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X