Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

MSFS and Comcasts new Data Cap Announcement...?

Comcast to impose home internet data cap of 1.2TB in more than a dozen US states next year

After customers hit the threshold, they’ll be charged $10 per 50GB up to $100

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/11/23/21591420/comcast-cap-data-1-2tb-home-users-internet-xfinity

wonder how much this will affect streamming this sim with a lot of flying?

Time to take away the kids, Ipads, cell phones, and PS4..! 

Dad needs GB's for his sim!!!

Chris Camp

4 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Comcast to impose home internet data cap of 1.2TB in more than a dozen US states next year

After customers hit the threshold, they’ll be charged $10 per 50GB up to $100

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/11/23/21591420/comcast-cap-data-1-2tb-home-users-internet-xfinity

wonder how much this will affect streamming this sim with a lot of flying?

Time to take away the kids, Ipads, cell phones, and PS4..! 

Dad needs GB's for his sim!!!

I currently have the 1.2 TB cap, but honestly MSFS doesn’t seem to use that much.. I never have exceeded even 600gb total for everything, even working from home for the past 8 months.  but if you have kids and lots of streaming vids going on then you might be in a way different situation.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

My monthly data usage for MSFS does not even hit 100GB neverlone 1TB .

Even streaming 4K to multiple devices would be unlikely to hit the 300GB a week you need to use 1.2TB in a month unless you have a huge family and they all have 4K TVs .

To use 1.2TB you would need to be running a server form home or alternatively downloading torrents for the sake of collecting movies and shows yu will never actually have time to watch.

I'm from Germany, thus not (yet?) affected. I (+ my wife) used 500 GB during the last 30 days, the biggest chunk no doubt downloads of Flightsim addons (including a reinstall of all ORBX scenery into P3D5). MSFS usage is given with 26 GB (~1h usage per the most days), thus negligible.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This has been in affect since around Mid year 2020 already. It use to be 1TB data cap. Before that it was unlimited.

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Robbers. They do this because they can. I swear, literally, this infuriates me to no end. What next? Caps on O2 use? Or maybe too many electrons being used while watching TV?

I may go full hermit and move to a hilltop somewhere and shout at the sky.

• Like 5

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

23 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

What next? Caps on O2 use?

Well after the Nestlé chairman said access to water should not be a public right

And Enron traders laughing at a power outage they made on purpose on the west coast Yeah, grandma Millie, man, Yeah, now she wants her f------g money back for all the power you've charged right up, jammed right up her a------ for f------g $250 a megawatt hour.

I would not be surprise to see something like that, privatized O2, if they can make a dime

Edited by bendead
  • Like 2

I've had this cap with them for quite some time and it hasn't been an issue. I have three other gamers in the house as well. My usage is usually around 600-700GB a month but the last two have been closer to 800-1000GB due to that darn online schooling that two kids are doing due to covid.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I have Frontier and have No data Caps......

Frontier® Internet

No Data Caps or Overage Charges
No Annual Commitments
Edited by Ed_S_Pilot
added info

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

In the bay area, California we have had 1.2TB for a while. We cut out cable TV and became an all streaming household over a year ago and we have two teenage kids. Before Covid, we got close but did not quite hit the limit. Since Covid my wife and I both work from home full time and the kids have online school full time and then we all stream shows and play computer games so we hit the 1.2TB limit. They recently raised the limit to 1.4TB but we also hit that limit and will most likely hit our limit this month by Thanksgiving.

I am trying to set up data monitoring on our network because I don't trust Comcast's monitoring. Its in their best interest to over report our usage so that they can charge more per month or entice us into paying $30 more a month for their unlimited plan.

I’m in the Los Angeles area with spectrum so far no data limits yet :

Image removed as image is no longer available.

16 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Robbers. They do this because they can. I swear, literally, this infuriates me to no end. What next? Caps on O2 use? Or maybe too many electrons being used while watching TV?

I may go full hermit and move to a hilltop somewhere and shout at the sky.

Maybe Elon Musk can save us soon with his satellite streaming service with unlimited bandwidth!

Chris Camp

We’ve had caps in the Atlanta area for years now. Started as 300MB years ago and then went to 1TB, and over the summer they raised it to 1.2TB.

I pay the $30/mo with my own modem for unlimited data. If you take their gateway, and their advantage plan, for $25 you get the gateway and unlimited data.