Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Nice video by Austin about SpaceX

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Austin Meyer`s videos are great and very informative.
But I don`t like Musk, the Amazon leader and the others. Soon we will have a Musk Internet, Amazon Internet, Amazon cities.

Not to forget about brain implants from Musk, so we can listen to music from our brain without using the smartphone (official statement - what a sick man). Imagine, Amazon or Tesla commercials beamed to our brain.

Those people did not invent anything, the truth is we financed them by using Amazon, Ebay and the other stuff. It`s like idiots buy anything and we see more and more the results coming from it.

24 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Those people did not invent anything

I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you wrote - except for the first sentence.

I will be first in line for that brain implant - right before I board the ship to Mars. I will drive to the implant clinic in my Tesla, however, so I don´t need any commercials for that beamed into my brain, but I will gladly accept others for travel on the hyperloop or whatever other cool thing Mr. Musk comes up with.

Cheers, Jan

controls are a bit..... wierd... ok, a lot wierd, but its fun-ish for the half hour or so it takes to work out the controls then complete the missions.

Hopefully this means Mars is coming back to XP.

AutoATC Developer

Cant figure out why Austin would spend precious time on a "game app" instead of focusing on XP shortcomings. Does not make any sense whatsoever!

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

Does not make any sense whatsoever!

It does not to you - but makes a lot of sense to me. Austin is always interested in new technology, his interests wander and he would wither if he just worked on X-Plane the whole time. A lot of his ideas and fads do transfer into X-Plane eventually (we used to be able to fly on Mars for a long time, not sure when they took that away).

In fact, X-Plane is where it is today because of Austin´s wandering interests. He included all those features and things that make X-Plane versatile and appeal to a lot of different styles of "play" - one could argue that he isn´t the greatest when it comes to really finishing features...and a lot of his ideas in X-Plane (like carrier ops or glider flying, for example) are stalled at the 85% mark. Implemented enough to kinda work, but not really polished.

Plus, mobile apps are really were the money is for Laminar Research. Kinda like what the Xbox crowd is for MSFS.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Janov said:

It does not to you - and that is why,

lol....Im a software developer myself that's why it doesn't make sense to me. Being a pilot yourself, I don't expect for you to understand my point_of_view. I tend to finish what I started then move on to the next project. And yes, I am playing MSFT. The point is,  XP has so many shortcomings (for years and years without being addressed) that this makes one tend to explore other options.

What is the BIG DEAL people using other sim platforms? Why are you always so sarcastic and so defensive? I've been playing XP for years (since XP9) but I'm not married to it, I will fly whatever fits my needs.

• Like 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

3 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

lol....Im a software developer myself that's why it doesn't make sense to me. Being a pilot yourself, I don't expect for you to understand my point_of_view.

I guess that my have something to do with it - I amended my post because I realize that it wasn´t written very balanced and fair. It is true that Austin tends to "skip" to the next project before his current one is really finished.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Janov said:

if he just worked on X-Plane the whole time

I saw xplane default scenery for the first time in some 4 years yesterday.... (testing some borken lnav stuff from someone elses flightplan east coast US I didn't have custom for)

I was literally shocked at how bad it is, it might be better for all of us if they don't let him that near XP12, he's done a great job of the things he's good at, visuals is something he's probably even worse at than I am, at least I value them enough to let someone else handle it, him doing so is definitely for the best.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

On 11/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, CarlosF said:

Cant figure out why Austin would spend precious time on a "game app" instead of focusing on XP shortcomings. Does not make any sense whatsoever!

Since his main area is flight and systems modeling, there may not be much for him to work on right now. Fixed wing and rotary wing flight models are in good shape; not perfect but better than the competition. AFAIK, he doesn't work on the areas that need the most improvement like scenery, weather, and programmed ATC. 

Austin may actually be blocked from doing any drastic new work on flight models because XP12 will need full backwards compatibility for existing aircraft models and their associated plugins. If MSFS hadn't arrived on the scene, there might have been an opportunity to make flight model and engine modeling changes that would break backwards compatibility, like we've seen in earlier XP product cycles. That would be a boon for 3rd party aircraft developers. They could sell us new XP12-compatible versions.

I think that's probably off the table now. XP12 will need the existing aircraft fleet as one of the selling points that distinguishes the sim. That may leave Austin without much he can do to improve the part of the sim he works on.

P.S. all of this just speculation, of course. I have no idea what's going on inside Laminar right now.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 11/24/2020 at 7:43 PM, CarlosF said:

lol....Im a software developer myself that's why it doesn't make sense to m

I see lots of things that need doing in X-Plane, but I don't think many of them are something Austin actually needs to work on. To me, it seems Austin will jump in every now and then and implement or tweak something related to flight dynamics, but for the most part he seems to leave it to the rest of his team and he gets on with his own projects in his own eccentric way, and if we're lucky we get something out of it eventually 🙂. From the many video streams that LR have done, they have told us that each member of the team generally choses an area they work on in the sim and if all others agree, they concentrate on that.

• Upvote 3

That sounds plausible. Also he makes different interesting stuff. X Avion application for tablets is a real interesting one.

Still, for X-Plane users it would have been best if he`d focused on X-Plane 12, but he is taking care of financial aspects as it seems like, its OK for me.

Found  here an interesting old video of XP:

YouTube

This video looks like from the good old 90s. Btw, the built in commercials are very funny, just look at the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

What a genius, a perfect way to distract from all of XP's bugs, issues and lack of progress, just make a video on SpaceX, wow!

c'mon Greazer... give me a break man... are you really that heart-broken about X-Plane ?... Whazzzup ? She'll come back one day... I am sure she will ! I mean, Miss Hype 4 XP... 

Actually I would bet a 12 will make it...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 11/25/2020 at 6:37 PM, Paraffin said:

Austin may actually be blocked from doing any drastic new work on flight models because XP12 will need full backwards compatibility for existing aircraft models and their associated plugins. If MSFS hadn't arrived on the scene, there might have been an opportunity to make flight model and engine modeling changes that would break backwards compatibility, like we've seen in earlier XP product cycles. That would be a boon for 3rd party aircraft developers. They could sell us new XP12-compatible versions.

But why is there an "experimental flight model" switch in the settings menu (and PlaneMaker)? 🤔

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days