Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Stunning!

I really hope that I live to see the day when humans set foot on Mars. In fact, I hope that it happens relatively soon, so that I can look forward to seeing further expeditions!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I really hope that I live to see the day when humans set foot on Mars. In fact, I hope that it happens relatively soon, so that I can look forward to seeing further expeditions!

Can't remember how old you are Chris but Elon reckons by 2024 we stand a good chance of making the second transfer window. That will be an unmanned version of Starship. 

For a manned, or should I say "humanned" trip, the estimate is "to follow later". How much later is uncertain. NASA propose 2030 but don't be surprised if Elon gets there first.

If 2024 becomes a reality, what a year that will be. NASA putting the first man and women on the moon with help from Blue Origin, SpaceX or Dynetics, and same year Elon sends his Buck Rogers rocket to Mars.

Makes a science and science fiction fan like me quiver with excitement. 😆 

Go NASA!

Go Elon!

Go Dynetics!

Go Blue Origin!

Go everybody! 😆 

Edited by martin-w

Reminds me of things I've seen here on earth.  I think we see evidence of water and wind at some time.  Absolutely magnificent.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Reminds me of things I've seen here on earth.  I think we see evidence of water and wind at some time.  Absolutely magnificent.

Noel

Yep, current scientific opinion is that there were large bodies of water on Mars. In fact water is still there, in the form of ice at the northern polar cap and at the south Pole beneath the CO2 cap. 21 million kilometres cubed! Enough to cover the whole planet 35 metres deep. Bound to be loads more beneath the surface too.

This vid makes me a bit philosophical.
I mean, this planet Mars has been there for billions of years. There's a certain beauty to it, but no living being has ever seen that beauty. So then why is it even there, what's the use, for who to see or experience? It's none of the above, it just IS whether anybody sees it or not. But then again, why is it there if nobody sees it or experience it? What's the use? Is it a greater use that humans cannot see, or is it useless, meant for nothing and nobody, or as i said it just IS?

Lol, i'm afraid i'm going in circles here.

• Like 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Noel

There's still lots of wind.  The atmosphere is thick enough and they have observed dust devils, for example.

And water too, just locked up as martin-w mentions.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Wildblue said:

There's a certain beauty to it, but no living being has ever seen that beauty.

No human being.  :wink: The universe doesn't exist for our entertainment. Who is to say that other sentient beings were not present in "our" Solar system before?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)