Sign in to follow this  
Frank STY

How's your RTX3090 in P3D

Hi friends,

I have RTX3090 installed in my machine. And I find some interesting things. The fps in some big and complex airports is higher than that in the sky. After taking off the fps may only at around 30 in sky with ASP3D. And GPU usage is only about 40-50%. I think, however, the fps in complex scenery should be lower than that in simple one. So the fps should be higher in sky. But why would that happen?

Yeah, that's weird. Have you tried clearing your shader cache and starting with a clean p3d.cfg?

Sounds like you are CPU limited.  If the main thread(s) on the CPU have the core(s) they run on maxxed out, you can see frame rates drop with GPU at far less than 100%. 

If you are headed towards a heavy traffic area (e.g. NYC metro, LA basin) with lots of AI within your "reality bubble" (~80nm) then handling hundreds of those AI planes could explain it.  Or, if you're over a very dense area of autogen with your LOD cranked up, as you climb higher, more AG comes into view and drives CPU load way up.

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

47 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Sounds like you are CPU limited.  If the main thread(s) on the CPU have the core(s) they run on maxxed out, you can see frame rates drop with GPU at far less than 100%. 

If you are headed towards a heavy traffic area (e.g. NYC metro, LA basin) with lots of AI within your "reality bubble" (~80nm) then handling hundreds of those AI planes could explain it.  Or, if you're over a very dense area of autogen with your LOD cranked up, as you climb higher, more AG comes into view and drives CPU load way up.

Hi Scott,

I didn't enable the AI traffic in P3D so there should be only one flight in air. Maybe I got CPU limited since I use i9-9900K. Even though I got CPU limited, I think it shouldn't be such lower only 30 fps in air. Before installing RTX3090 I use RTX2080super and it could be 50-60fps in air with same aircraft.

Edited by Frank STY

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Yeah, that's weird. Have you tried clearing your shader cache and starting with a clean p3d.cfg?

I will try this later and see if it will be better.

1 hour ago, Frank STY said:

Hi Scott,

I didn't enable the AI traffic in P3D so there should be only one flight in air. Maybe I got CPU limited since I use i9-9900K. Even though I got CPU limited, I think it shouldn't be such lower only 30 fps in air. Before installing RTX3090 I use RTX2080super and it could be 50-60fps in air with same aircraft.

Autogen Draw distance is also CPU bound. So if you just at an airport and not moving fast and far.....no autogen has to be drawn. The Cyrcle around you is already rendered and stays as it is or needs only small adjustments as you are only moving around the airport with very low speed. 

As soon as you take off.....the autogen rendering kicks in and will consum CPU power......if that is at his limits....it will decrease FPS compared to standing at the airport.

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I am pretty much maxed out and flying in and out of KEWR on the NGXU, If I see anything less than 35 FPS its basically a surprise. I am in love with my 3090.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

Autogen Draw distance is also CPU bound. So if you just at an airport and not moving fast and far.....no autogen has to be drawn. The Cyrcle around you is already rendered and stays as it is or needs only small adjustments as you are only moving around the airport with very low speed. 

As soon as you take off.....the autogen rendering kicks in and will consum CPU power......if that is at his limits....it will decrease FPS compared to standing at the airport.

Marcus

With the 3090 I am now running everything at max except for AG density which are both at very dense. 4K at 2x SSAA. Uimited 30 hertz

Before with my 2080 Ti I had : LOD High, AG radius Medium , AG density trees very dense and buildings dense, shadows : clouds abd terrain cast —> objects, vegetation and buildings receive , cloud shadows : quality low and and range high. Unlimited 25 hertz.

The FPS with cpu bound settings went up here on both pc’s with the 3090s.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

With the 3090 I am now running everything at max except for AG density which are both at very dense. 4K at 2x SSAA. Uimited 30 hertz

Before with my 2080 Ti I had : LOD High, AG radius Medium , AG density trees very dense and buildings dense, shadows : clouds abd terrain cast —> objects, vegetation and buildings receive , cloud shadows : quality low and and range high. Unlimited 25 hertz.

The FPS with cpu bound settings went up here on both pc’s with the 3090s.

So with the 3090 no more AG popping in patches?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

52 minutes ago, Shomron said:

So with the 3090 no more AG popping in patches?

I am pretty sure the issue still persists, otherwise I will be fast in increasing this slider 🙂

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

6 hours ago, Alcides Segovia said:

I am pretty much maxed out and flying in and out of KEWR on the NGXU, If I see anything less than 35 FPS its basically a surprise. I am in love with my 3090.

KEWR and the NGXU will tax any system that's for sure...  With that being said, 35 FPS on a $1500 GPU is kind of a depressing reality 😞 .  

Am I really the only one that actually finds this kind of sad?  P3D has to be one of the only platforms out there with this kind of performance on a $1500 GPU...  It's almost 2021 and people with a 3090 are still talking about FPS in the 30's (granted it's KEWR but still) and locking at 30hz.   There is no way going from 28FPS at KEWR to 35FPS at KEWR is worth $1500+ to me....  If a 3090 can't bring P3D to it's knees with everything maxxed and actually maintain at LEAST 60FPS which is what is pretty much a baseline in every other sim in the world it's pretty ominous that anything will ever get to the point you could maintain 60FPS anywhere in the world with 100%AI and everything maxxed,  

I guess I'm just not enamored yet having to drop that much to get "adequate" performance in P3D...  My expectations were way off expecting a 3090 to absolutely "crush" anything P3D had to throw at it 😞 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

25 minutes ago, psolk said:

KEWR and the NGXU will tax any system that's for sure...  With that being said, 35 FPS on a $1500 GPU is kind of a depressing reality 😞 .  

Am I really the only one that actually finds this kind of sad?  P3D has to be one of the only platforms out there with this kind of performance on a $1500 GPU...  It's almost 2021 and people with a 3090 are still talking about FPS in the 30's (granted it's KEWR but still) and locking at 30hz.   There is no way going from 28FPS at KEWR to 35FPS at KEWR is worth $1500+ to me....  If a 3090 can't bring P3D to it's knees with everything maxxed and actually maintain at LEAST 60FPS which is what is pretty much a baseline in every other sim in the world it's pretty ominous that anything will ever get to the point you could maintain 60FPS anywhere in the world with 100%AI and everything maxxed,  

I guess I'm just not enamored yet having to drop that much to get "adequate" performance in P3D...  My expectations were way off expecting a 3090 to absolutely "crush" anything P3D had to throw at it 😞 

Which sim has 60FPS as a baseline with everything maxed? Just curious....DCS, MSFS, X-Plane or which des deliver that (but only pumped with AI, Airports etc.)?

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I find NGXu in air with 3090 got a very unstable fps and GPU usage vary from 30fps-60fps avg at about 36-40 or so. But with QW787 it would be stable at about 50fps in air.

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

Which sim has 60FPS as a baseline with everything maxed? Just curious....DCS, MSFS, X-Plane or which des deliver that (but only pumped with AI, Airports etc.)?

Marcus

My comment wasn't limited to Flight sims...  I was talking more simming/gaming in general where 60FPS has always been a baseline.  In racing sims (for example) if you couldn't maintain 60FPS you would need to start "dialing back" settings to get truly fluid gameplay.  Understood, comparing "other sims" to FS has always been unfair but I would truly love to see a point where we don't have to settle for half the performance in FS that would even be acceptable outside of FS.  It would have been great if a $1500+ GPU could have done at least that.  

PS.  Everyone has different sensitivity levels to fluidity on a screen.  Some people swear 24FPS is fluid, others swear by 30, I am one of those that unless my FPS matches the refresh rate of my monitor or higher I see stutters.  My eyes are just very sensitive to it so for me personally at least 60FPS on a 60Hz monitor has always been a baseline target.  

Edited by psolk
Added but (haha he said but)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

you can change the refresh rate of your monitor as opposed to just locking frames.  Similar end result.  But I've done that to 30hz for years and been very happy with it.  The only time it's very noticeable to me not using the native 60hz of my screen is when panning.  I also fly airliners.  If I was flying military jets 30hz wouldn't be good.  

Since i've gone from the 1080ti to 3090 I'm exploring setting my refresh rate higher due to the increased headroom.  Previously I set NCP refresh rate to 30hz in P3D.  Unless I was flying the Majestic Q400.  Then I would leave at native 60 since that airplane performs massively better than any other I have.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next