Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Weather sync still not there ...

Yesterday while it was cloudy and raining at LPCS, started a flight using Real Weather and the pictogram in the weather menu did suggest the conditions, but in the sim it was blue skies, standard atmosphere...

Loaded the sim a few times, tried the same, always the very same result.

There really is / are problems with global weather in MFS... and that's not good, because having closed development to 3pds, they are the only players and so far it's really mediocre other than the graphics which look great...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Live weather feature is broken for me too. It was working most of the times in the previous update. Now is back to on and off.

This really sucks because I really need the live weather feature to enjoy this sim.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I really don't understand why the live weather is such a big issue to fix. Besides the lacking of crucial features i still need to restart the sim if I go back to main menu after a flight. Otherwise its clear skies. 

Live weather was and remained a big issue. Its only causing people to purchase 3rd party addons again to make core features work correctly. 

Asobo, please ! We don't want POI's, hand crafted airports etc... we want a functional SIMULATOR. 

Edited by roi1862
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Live weather has been hit and miss for me for a few weeks now, this is frustrating as I only fly online with real weather 

Shame 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

I really don't understand why the live weather is such a big issue to fix.

Indeed

The weather engine CLEARLY works when given the right info - or at least, is capable of a very close rendition of reported conditions

With zero programming experience, I reckon I could write a batch script to give me the METAR for anywhere on earth in 30 mins

What is the problem?

With the greatest respect to those in REX/ActiveSky who served a great purpose in fixing broken weather in previous sims, I can't believe we need to spend money AGAIN in this area for 3rd parties to fix this

Edited by EGLD
  • Like 2

Yes, an area where ASOBO still has a lot of work to do...

- Making it stable with just the present features being modeled, namely finding a better / more consistent / better synced merge between ( aloft ) model data and METAR / SPECI data;

- Tweaking the "visibility" settings;

- Adding features that will allow for further weather types being modelled, like soaring weather ( thermals, convergence, wave... );

But since it is a server-side work, I understand that they can't open it to 3pds, specially if they have a contract with Meteoblue to feed the weather model data. That's acceptable, although I regret being able to use my preferred weather injectors, but MFS has considerably changed the premisses regarding weather modelling.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Their ineptitude with this critical feature is mind boggling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

21 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Their ineptitude with this critical feature is mind boggling.

They mention it's a 10 yr project, so we have to give them time...

This is a huge step from previous MS FS simulator versions, and even if they have a "big" team, it's really complex to cover the whole World like we always wanted it to be covered, without some quirks here & there...

Weather is certainly a feature they have to focus on - specially because they closed the door to external development with access to the necessary feeds... All that can be done is rather limited, like using only METAR-based depiction...

Main Simulation Rig:

Same think here...weather in Quebec, Canada is not accurate...it's 3 month old sim so we need to give time to fix it...it is tru that he close the door external development to company like hifi?...because in my opinion it is the best weather add-on...

Phil Tremblay

You do have to hope they do finally fix this weather problem. Especially since they have decided not to open up the sim to 3rd party weather addons. (Stated as not planned on the latest roadmap images)

At least with something like ActiveSky you could actually see it inject the weather and you could also tell it to refresh and actually make sure it's doing something. 

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

Well I have been a stickler about this.  It's hit or miss for me so I have supplemented with REX WF and use it when I needed better than live.  When using either weather source I routinely not only restart the sim from the OS level, I most often reboot my system. 

This morning however, a day after the update, for me and my sim location at KMTN, MSFS live weather from ATIS is this:

20212KT  10SM  SCT007  SCT040  SCT122  8/10  A30.36

Live real world METAR for KMTN is this (copy/paste from Fltplan.com):
KMTN  251154Z    19007KT  10SM  SCT210 BKN250  08/03  30.36

I have colored what matches in green.  I have colored what is well within the ballpark in blue.  At least after two sim sessions I appear to be witnessing improvement.

Now the first recognition to keep in mind is that MSFS ATIS has flaws.  ATIS is reporting cloud layers that are just not present in the simulator at the time, sometimes even on clear days.  ATIS is constantly reporting a dewpoint that is most often higher than the reported temp.  In this case a temp of 8 and a dewpoint of 10.  Before yesterday's update I was getting a dewpoint from ATIS of 13, always.  On the other hand, the winds reported by ATIS before yesterday's update were not even close.  Late yesterday during a flight, and this morning, the ATIS reported winds are at least from the same general direction and at least a representative speed.  202 @ 12 (ATIS) and 190 @ 07 (Metar) will call for the same runway.  Rwy 15 in this case at KMTN.

Here are two images from this morning.  The first from MSFS's own live weather at KMTN at the time of both the metar and MSFS ATIS.  The second image is from my home, some 32nm to the ESE.

image.png.2769f432e798429d05c14302d03db1e9.png

image.png.967c638d1344b47e7c8f95d8f467cee1.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere