Sign in to follow this  
Afterburner

Positive Experience going from Level-D 767 to PMDG 777

Hello,

I have recently switched from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4. I had been using Level-D 767 in FSX and later P3Dv3 for many years, but sadly, that add-on is no longer compatible with P3Dv4. Its quality and flight dynamics was one of the best I had ever experienced.

Having moved to P3Dv4, I started missing the 767, so I had to find an airplane that was similar. My choice fell on PMDG 777, since one is the successor of the other (so I thought - logically - that they must be similar).

After conducting a few flights, I have to say that knowing the systems of 767, I felt quite familiar inside the cockpit of 777. The FMCs of both planes are almost identical, which saved me countless of hours studying the ins and outs of that computer. The overhead panel of 777 also feels like in 767, but with fewer buttons, which makes the 777 feel more automated in a good sense. The visual quality of the virtual cockpit of the 777 is obviously miles ahead compared to LVLD 767.

However, one thing that bugged me initially was the siren that I couldn't shut off after disengaging the autopilot. In 767, you just moved the white disengage bar, and the warning sound was very short, but then it was quiet. In 777, I couldn't figure out how to turn off that word not allowed thing, so I had to press the pause button and do the research. Can someone tell me how to disengage the autopilot using the mouseclicks in a regular way (the manual states to press Z two times or so, but I want to be able to push buttons directly in the virtual cockpit). That was the only annoying aspect. But other than that, if you flew the LVLD 767 and miss it, the PMDG 777 is a very good substitute with more passengers and higher range.

Oh, and I had to get used to setting the number of passengers and fuel using the FMC. I first attempted to do it via the P3D menu, and I realized that it didn't change the values and that you ought to do it via FMC.

Overall, good job!

• Upvote 1