Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

East Coast Tour From NY to Washington

I tried this tour straight after updating the sim last night. It is supposed to highlight some of the latest updates Asobo has put into the USA scenery.

I flew the Caravan on AP, tracking the flight plan route. It has you flying south down the Hudson River, past Manhattan to Washington. One thing that stood out was the bridges along the Hudson - almost all of them look really, really bad - as in like [word not allowed] bad. It's like they have a wall under them. One of the first ones you fly over on this tour had what seemed to be artifacts scattered around in the water, with cars racing around in the water too. Is this a known issue with the sim or do I have a problem with my setup?

Assuming it is not just me, I just think it would be very odd for Asobo to choose this route to showcase their latest work when it has such poor quality, broken bridges in your face all the way down the river into Manhattan and NYC. Hoping it is not my system..... has anyone else tried this tour and seen ugly bridges?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Did you also update in the content manager manualy this:World Update II: United States?

Just now, Nedo68 said:

Did you also update in the content manager manualy this:World Update II: United States?

Yes. When I initially selected to do the tour it gave me a message that I have to run this update first. I then proceeded to do the update. One thing I did not do is restart the sim after this. Everything else looks great though - just the horrible bridges.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Ok - I found this on YouTube: 

Take a look at time 11:30 and again at 18:00 - you will see what I mean. So it is not just my system (relief). However I am gob-smacked that Asobo would think this is something that would highlight their work. It is terrible! Why choose to show off some of your worse work in the sim? I love flying in this sim and huge respect for Asobo but this is up there with the ugliest scenery I have come across in the sim yet and ironically it is what Asobo chooses to highlight as being good? I don't get it. 

Oh well, I don't fly this area much anyway, might get shot down by the USAF. 🙂

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Greg,

I get exactly the same bridge issues...somehow weird...

Edited by ega
  • Like 1

Edmundo Azevedo

you focus too much on those bridges only, i see stuff i would call very good.

9 minutes ago, wim123 said:

you focus too much on those bridges only, i see stuff i would call very good.

No question that the rest is very good - better than very good in fact. Just seems peculiar for Asobo to showcase their updates by having you overfly some very broken/ugly looking bridges. Just glad it is not just me.

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 1

GregH

It's not too far in the future that one guy will create a bunch of generic bridges and replace all the ones currently in the sim.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

5 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

It's not too far in the future that one guy will create a bunch of generic bridges and replace all the ones currently in the sim.

You are no doubt right on this.... and maybe even specifically rebuild these particular bridges as they are fairly iconic ones. I have one for Sydney Harbour is Aussie and it really looks good.

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Yes same for me too. Cars driving about in the river. Partly submerged bridge and a wall underneath the main span. I thought it was something wrong with installation until now. 

Congratulations to those who have completed this tour, I have tried three times and each time I have experienced a CTD which has been unusual for me. The first two were shortly after leaving New York but most annoyingly, the last one was as I was nearing the end (with Bing Live Data off this time).

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

1 hour ago, RaptyrOne said:

I tried this tour straight after updating the sim last night. It is supposed to highlight some of the latest updates Asobo has put into the USA scenery.

I flew the Caravan on AP, tracking the flight plan route. It has you flying south down the Hudson River, past Manhattan to Washington. One thing that stood out was the bridges along the Hudson - almost all of them look really, really bad - as in like [word not allowed] bad. It's like they have a wall under them. One of the first ones you fly over on this tour had what seemed to be artifacts scattered around in the water, with cars racing around in the water too. Is this a known issue with the sim or do I have a problem with my setup?

Assuming it is not just me, I just think it would be very odd for Asobo to choose this route to showcase their latest work when it has such poor quality, broken bridges in your face all the way down the river into Manhattan and NYC. Hoping it is not my system..... has anyone else tried this tour and seen ugly bridges?

The bridges were the same for me they looked awful, also when I zoomed in on the city it looked like it had been nuked, it looked okay before the zoom.

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

image.png.6b9af4e170610812446d4bc5dadb3821.png

Yes. Here is a clear image taken yesterday after the update showing the Ben Franklin bridge from Camden, NJ, across the Delaware River to Philadelphia.  The Ben Franklin Bridge is shown early in the 56:00 minute of RaptyrOne's video.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge from Annapolis to the Maryland eastern shore was specifically modeled in the update.  Too bad they didn't do more.  I agree with RaptyrOne about the East Coast Tour.  They should have at least modeled the Tappan Zee and George Washington bridges as well as the three major Philadelphia bridges before posting that tour.

image.png.49e712db25b7cf5b17480000451e2b05.png 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The bridges in custom scenery areas are hand assembled while bridges outside those areas are assembled by photogrammetry. The photogrammetry sees the bridges as something above ground or water level and assembles a strangely shaped building extending from the ground or water lever to the top height indicated by the photogrammetry data. A few days ago I flew over an area that had picnic tables and each was interpreted as a short building. So, until someone designs some custom bridges in these areas, I think we're stuck with the best photogrammetry can do. In any case, I think it produces some stunning scenery. 

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

This has been mentioned time and time again.  The "walled" bridges are the effect of Photogrammetry.  

Photogrammetry acts like a terrain mesh and then a photographic layer is added on top.  That is why the bridges are walled.  The Photogrammetry that MS uses is inferior to that used by Google Earth.

To "improve" the bridges, you need to one by one remove them and replace them with another model.   If you turn off Photogrammetry and fly the tour again, you'll see that all the "walled" bridges have been replaced by generic autogen bridges which tend to hug the water level.

Google Earth does a much better job with their bridges, and that is what many freeware developers are using to solve local bridge issues in their area. 

For example, there is a freeware in flightsim.to which not only redoes KLGA, but also updates several bridges in the New York Metro area.  You might want to look there.

Until MS updates their Photogrammetry this will continue to be a problem. 

Edited by wthomas33065