Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

No perceivable elevation data change after the update

My most anticipated update is the elevation data / terrain mesh. So I downloaded the update (9GB program update + 4GB from the market), and took several flights to some famous mountain areas. To my biggest disappointment, I can see no change. It’s still the flat, rounded, and smooth mountains everywhere. Have I missed something or done something wrong? Have you notice some elevation data / terrain mesh enhancement after the update? Or is your experience the same as me? I am eagerly looking forward to your opinion. 

I think the elevation data was only updated for certain areas. The red areas in the first post of this thread:

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

16 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I think the elevation data was only updated for certain areas. The red areas in the first post of this thread:

There is an updated elevation map that shows most areas have been updated to 32m and 16m, and it can go as high as 50cm! But the mountains that I see are nowhere near 30m. I'd like to know the impression of elevation data change from the others.

Elevation data has definitely changed... in some notable cases with visual problems..

My first flights were around Southern Vancouver Island..

Next time will look at Mt Rainier..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

3 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

My most anticipated update is the elevation data / terrain mesh. So I downloaded the update (9GB program update + 4GB from the market), and took several flights to some famous mountain areas. To my biggest disappointment, I can see no change. It’s still the flat, rounded, and smooth mountains everywhere. Have I missed something or done something wrong? Have you notice some elevation data / terrain mesh enhancement after the update? Or is your experience the same as me? I am eagerly looking forward to your opinion. 

Well considering a good high quality mesh (FSX/P3d) will run around 2GB per area/state, in the US, I don't see how sub 9GB total for the World Update patch and Mesh is going to improve the entire area of N America much, mesh wise...!

Toposim Payware mesh is about 1.7gb just for the state of Maine for instance!

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

I wonder if the graphics settings also affect the elevation mesh resolution that's actually applied.  I'd expect increased resolution to increase GPU load, so it would make sense if one of the settings affects it.  If I remember correctly, FSX had a 'tessellation' setting for this; there is no equivalent in MSFS, but perhaps Terrain LOD affects it, i.e. if this is below the max you may not see the full resolution of the data.  Anyone know?

7 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Well considering a good high quality mesh (FSX/P3d) will run around 2GB per area/state, in the US, I don't see how sub 9GB total for the World Update patch and Mesh is going to improve the entire area of N America much, mesh wise...!

My understanding is that terrain mesh - along with ground textures, autogen placement data, vector data (roads, rivers, coastlines, etc.), and photogrammetry - are loaded from the server on the fly.  I think the download contains things like autogen models (not the placements, just the textures/3D models), custom models for airports and POIs, and airport/nav data.

Edited by loge

2 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

I'd like to know the impression of elevation data change from the others.

Looks pretty good to me... Rainier after latest update

eVICDvE.jpg

Bert

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Because with those products you are downloading it to your computer. With MSFS you are streaming it as you go.

James

5 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

There is an updated elevation map that shows most areas have been updated to 32m and 16m, and it can go as high as 50cm! But the mountains that I see are nowhere near 30m. I'd like to know the impression of elevation data change from the others.

Updated to 32m and 16m from what?  What was the resolution prior to upgrade?  I have asked several times in several forums, no answer yet.  In other words, the upgrade increment could be so small that it is really not noticeable.. 

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

As I understand it , the most detailed scenery is now in Arizona around the old fighter plane graveyard. I would love to hack into the Asobo/Bing server and put detailed scenery into the few select places that I love.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

FS Global Ultimate mesh for P3D is 70gb. It covers the whole world with mostly 30m mesh, and the moutains look much better than MSFS after the update.