Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

$50 Hamburger run to Cape May, NJ, in the DA40.

Taking the economical Diamond DA40 up for the first time for what I term a $50 Hamburger run. I know, I know! It's a $100 Hamburger run, but there are two of us aboard. Ten gallons of 100LL Avgas at $4.09 self serve, some flight time, and $14.00 each for food including tip. Add it up, ÷ 2. It gets there! Longer runs will certainly be back in the colloquial $100 range.

Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20Screens
Up off KMTN Martin State Airport with a nice view of downtown Baltimore, Maryland, and the Baltimore inner harbor.

A bit of a fisheye look at Baltimore’s M&T Bank NFL football and Camden Yards MLB baseball stadiums.

After a turn north, this is a swing into southeast Pennsylvania with a look at Dutch Amish country outside Lancaster.

After circling north around Philadelphia, now heading south over southern New Jersey.  That series of manmade lakes out off the left wing is the community of Medford Lakes. Now a community of mostly log cabin homes, it first became a weekend getaway area for luminaries from NYC, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Delaware., during the late 1920's.  Thus the log cabin heritage.  Local ordinances require maintaining a consistent percentage of log construction, even if building an addition or guest house.  I lived in Medford Lakes for 13 years from the mid 1980’s to the late 1990’s. The origin of those small lakes was to provide cooling for early lead and iron mills where cannonballs were produced as early as during the American Revolutionary War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medford_Lakes,_New_Jersey

A view to the east from over the NJ Turnpike (not in view).  What you see leading east is the Atlantic City Turnpike. In the distance you can barely make out the skyline of Atlantic City.  

The winding ribbon of reflection is the Maurice River of southern NJ as it flows into the Delaware bay between Wilmington, Delaware, and Cape May, NJ.

On final late in the day to KWWD, Cape May County airport, Cape May, NJ.

KWWD is nicely represented in MSFS.  May not be real accurate, but perfect for a new visitor.

Flight%20Deck%20b-XL.jpg
The hamburger destination today is the Flight Deck Diner on the airport grounds. There is a military history theme at the airport.  Hangar #1 contains the Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum, whose collection focuses on World War II.  The museum is named after the former Naval Air Station Wildwood, which was nearby.

flight%20deck-XL.jpg
The Flight Deck Diner shares in that military history theme.

Flight%20Deck%20c-XL.jpg
The menu has a good deal of variety including a separate breakfast menu, and easily allows a $10-$15 burger meal, and even morning pancake runs.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 4

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank unfortunately your images did not post

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Eagerly awaiting these pics as I flew to Cape may as part of my flight training awhile ago

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Believe I got it corrected.  Inadvertently renamed a folder at my photo repository.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, SKEWR said:

Eagerly awaiting these pics as I flew to Cape may as part of my flight training awhile ago

Where did you fly from?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Nice set Frank.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

Where did you fly from?

I came from the North. One of my cross countries from MMU down to AIY then over to WWD. I seem to recall a nuclear power plant down there as a landmark. (But it was awhile ago)

I also am pretty sure I flew down from CDW to WWD. (That time adding TTN to the trip back)

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma