Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

I think MSFS installs two community folders.

From file explorer I am searching for 'communty' from this folder C:\Users\IBUYPOWER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

...which gets me 2 results of folders named community. Both were created by MSFS, neither of them were created by me. I had placed objects in the normal community folder with the short path. But when I did that, then MSFS had by itself placed similar objects in the long path community folder.

I had to clear *both* folders of items to cure the CTD's I had after the last update. That did cure the problems completely. One or more of the addon's is probably a problem.

I should have cleared both community folders *before* the last update, but I did not know about the second one.

Next time I will clear *both* community folders before an update,  because apparently I think MSFS installs two community folders, not just the obvious one.

LOGLB8i.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

9 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Next time I will clear *both* community folders before an update,  because apparently I think MSFS installs two community folders, not just the obvious one.

I believe the "short one" contains links to the longer one..

If you check the size of the parent folders, you will see that only the longer one has all the data stored in it.

Suggest adding and deleting user files to the "long one" only.

Bert

Judging by the name of the first folder I would say it was an incorrect path from an installer as it is essentially the same path 2x but got nested into it somehow.

Steve 'Slayer' McNitt
Quality Assurance
spacer.png

OK, thanks. If I had fewer addons in the community folder, then adding them back after updates and then testing would take a shorter time. I plan to add half of them back at a time and keep narrowing it down from there.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

19 minutes ago, Fielder said:

OK, thanks. If I had fewer addons in the community folder, then adding them back after updates and then testing would take a shorter time. I plan to add half of them back at a time and keep narrowing it down from there.

Have you looked into the freeware MSFS Addon Linker program?

I use it for exactly that purpose, and it makes life a lot easier..

Bert

Have a friend who's been suffering chronic CTD's. I wonder if having two community folders and him placing mods in the "wrong" one could be the source of the problem. I will link this post to him but would appreciate any comments confirming that this could be the issue.

Cheers!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro