Sign in to follow this  
Daytona125

Merry Christmas from Microsoft??

I’m hearing we might be getting V.R. December 26. Supposed to be working for all headsets. Can’t wait.... https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76464/microsoft-flight-sim-getting-full-vr-support-in-december-update/index.html

Edited by Daytona125

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

From the most recent official development update

https://www.flightsimulator.com/november-25th-2020-development-update/

Sim Update 2 including VR is planned for Dec. 22 already - just in time for X-mas.

Kind reagrds, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

@pmb Michael, Using MSFS is a virtual experience, but what do VR headsets do, make it real?!

I have no concept what it would do.

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

45 minutes ago, sauviat said:

@pmb Michael, Using MSFS is a virtual experience, but what do VR headsets do, make it real?!

Martin

Opinions on this differ. I have been using my HP Reverb with AeroflyFS2 and now with MSFS in the VR Beta (and with less success in P3D and XP). I find it a completely new level of immersion, you just get the impression you are not sitting on a desk but really in a plane. You can turn your head to see the runway on the base leg, raise the head to look upon it on approach and so on without having to flip any buttons. Without going into detail because of the beta restrictions, I find Asobo has done a stunning implementation of VR.

This said there are a few caveats yet.

1st you have to handle the controls blindly which isn't an issue for yoke and pedals but e.g. longing for the flaps lever needs a bit of acquaintance. Alternatively you can handle these with the mouse or controllers, of course 

2nd you can't go crazy with the settings. While I have nearly all MSFS settings maxed on my 3440x1440 2D screen this isn't possibly with the VR goggles. But while I had difficulty to read some instruments in AeroflyFS2 using my former headset (an ASUS H101) the Reverb has enough resolution to display them very clearly.

3rd you may get motion sick. Some people get others don't, you can only find it out by trying it. To a degree, this also depends on fluidity, thus it's sometimes better to sacrifice a little bit of eye candy for fluidity.

This said, I am most of the time flying in VR after being allowed to the MSFS beta, and I much enjoy this. Despite I have a hardware panel with all the switches, levers and (FIP) gauges in competition with the headset.

But as I said, opinions differ. VR enthusiasts still are a minority, albeit a noisy one.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

@pmb this would a long learning curve somewhat. For the real world of using a VR headset, would this be possible wearing glasses, or more importantly varifocals as this may limit as to what is sharp or blurred?

Martin

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

5 minutes ago, sauviat said:

@pmb this would a long learning curve somewhat. For the real world of using a VR headset, would this be possible wearing glasses, or more importantly varifocals as this may limit as to what is sharp or blurred?

Martin

I wore my glasses under the Asus headset. However, with the Reverb there isn't enough space for that. There are specialized optometrists (look for VR optometrist or the like) where you can order insets to be fixed in the headset.

I did this and it works flawlessly. The more critical moment is if you have to switch back and forth between VR and real world which happens sometimes, e.g., if you want to open an external program on the 2D screen or have to do something else in the real world. But during flight it's all okay.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

@pmb Thanks Michael, plenty to think about then!

Martin

• Like 1

Martin Parr

I would highly suggest to look for someone in your vicinity to try it before buying one. 10 min in a shop are not a good idea either, even more, as finding proper settings takes some time (if the assistents are even able to do so).

I got my first headset lend from my son for a few days to see if it's for me or not.

Kind regards, Michael 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pmb said:

Sim Update 2 including VR is planned for Dec. 22 already - just in time for X-mas.

I don't use VR yet, might try it if the costs are not prohibitive. Right now, more worried about what they will break in the sim to make this happen. Every update breaks stuff. 😞

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Love the concept of VR, but I suspect my varifocals would have problems with it.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

@pmb thanks for the info. How's if your HP reverb headset? I was considering oculus rift S, but here in Germany it was super hard to get one back in April when I was considering one and even now when I looked recently . At best I am looking forward for a headset that can work with both X-Plane and MSFS

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

2 hours ago, sauviat said:

I have an Oculus Rift S and have no problem wearing it with my glasses that are 13.5 cm wide. They should also be able to fit in the HP Reverb 2 as far as I've read online. I don't have varifocal glasses, but I have a pair of reading glasses and they are definitely not good for the Rift S - everything is noticably out of focus in VR compared to my "regular" glasses. So I would suspect that varifocal glasses would be a problem especially with flight sims where the instruments are in the lower part of your vision.

Edited by JacquesBrel

@JacquesBrel This is where varifocals are god, as you see close items from the bottom of the lenses. As it so happens I've had both my cataracts done a couple of years ago and that's what allowed me to have varifocals and, this past week I had my eyes checked because I have a haemorrhage behind one eye. I am now getting a pair of digital varifocals which allows you to look in any direction without moving your head! I am going to ask my optician about VR headsets.

Martin

Martin Parr

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

@pmb thanks for the info. How's if your HP reverb headset?

At best I am looking forward for a headset that can work with both X-Plane and MSFS

I like the Reverb. I don't have much to compare but against the Acer AH101 which I had before it's a big improvement in resolution. The Acer had a visible screendor (which I am sensitive against) and to read some instruments (GPS, MFD) you had to bend nearly to the panel (screen in RL). Both issues are gone with the Reverb, instruments are clearly readable and screendor is really marginal only (if you search for it you find it on a extended light areas like heaven, but not during normal use).

FOV is sufficient for my taste. There is a limited sharp area which some people find disturbing but I can't confirm this from my side. Also, some users claim the controllers are nasty, but I never use them anyway, so I can't comment on this.

My only main objection is the cable. The Reverb (G1) comes with a combined Video- and USB cable which is so stiff and heavy that it's really disturbing. 

In any case, do NOT buy the G1 those days but wait for the G2. It costs roughly the same as mine did once and comes (from head, just google) with a slightly extended FOV plus sharp area AND an improved cable. I'll see if I can get a replacement G2 cable later, if they will be compatible (probably not as they want to sell the G2).

While MSFS will work with all major headsets Asobo claims it to be optimized for the Reverb G2, whatever that means. Of course, X-Plane does work with the Reverb as well.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sauviat said:

Martin

If you can get used to it, and you can, you will never go back to a flat screen. I've been using V.R. for 3 years and I fly in V.R. 95 percent of the time and there is nothing like it. Only problem is you need really big hardware to run it smooth, especially in MSFS2020 I hear. Lack of V.R. is really one of the biggest reasons I have my other sims installed still.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,