Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Does Just Flight DC-10 work on Prepar3D v5?

CLS/Justflight DC-10 HD works fine in V5.

Cheers

• Like 1

Cees van der Linden

19 hours ago, celin101 said:

CLS/Justflight DC-10 HD works fine in V5.

Can you confirm if TCAS, fuel dumping and panel click sounds do work in P3D5, please?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

27 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Can you confirm if TCAS, fuel dumping and panel click sounds do work in P3D5, please?

No they do not.

I am working on getting it functional with the updated sound gauge from DDawson.  It’s a bit of a bear so far.  I can get the sounds working but the re-config of the LVars causes the switches to reset.  As an example, I have the seatbelt and no smoking chimes active, but when you turn them on they reset back to off when the sound is done playing.  Any tips on updating them or XML gauge configs, I’ll take ‘em.

On a side note I do have a working install packaged as an add-on.xml installed outside the P3D root.  I will post that here too once I get the sounds straightened as both require adjustments to the panel.cfg.  Surprisingly straight-forward outside of a few gauge config paths.

Edited by MammyJammy
Speliling.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

No they do not.

I am working on getting it functional with the updated sound gauge from DDawson.  It’s a bit of a bear so far.  I can get the sounds working but the re-config of the LVars causes the switches to reset.  As an example, I have the seatbelt and no smoking chimes active, but when you turn them on they reset back to off when the sound is done playing.  Any tips on updating them or XML gauge configs, I’ll take ‘em.

On a side note I do have a working install packaged as an add-on.xml installed outside the P3D root.  I will post that here too once I get the sounds straightened as both require adjustments to the panel.cfg.  Surprisingly straight-forward outside of a few gauge config paths.

That would be great if you can post the mods need to get this working in v5.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Good news/bad news update on the panel sounds...

The good news:

I have the panel sounds working!  Turns out the sound gauges in the Gauges/64 folder included with the DC-10 HD work just fine.  The problem is that each XML gauge isn't using the DLL properly.  The "old" style of feeding sounds into the gauges was to push a numeric value into an LVar which would tell the system which sound to play.  The "new" style, following the pattern of DDawson's x64 sound gauge, requires a value that decides what to do with the sound to be set to a specifc LVar that is mapped to a particular sound.  tl;dr:  Sounds work different.

Which gets to the bad news:

It requires updates to the XML gauges themselves...186 in total.  There are 34 sounds used across those gauges, most of which are a small handful of switch and rotary knob sounds.  The DC-10 uses a single LVar to manage all sounds, which needs to be updated to be distinct for each sound within each gauge that needs it.  This requires unpacking the CAB file, updating 186 XML files (gotta love that FE panel, eh?), and re-packing it all back together, all while using an updated sound config that maps the sounds to new LVars properly.  Not the world's most straight-forward task and it will require you have the P3Dv5 SDK installed.

I'm still working to get it all running well.  I have an issue currently with the panel state config loading properly, which I'll dig through next.  I am hoping in the next week or two to have at least the directions on how to install as an add-on.xml and how to make the necessary mods to have it fully operational in P3Dv5.  Note:  It flies just fine sans the sounds if you install directly into P3Dv5, so none of this prevents you from flying it today.  It just isn't a modular add-on and the panel sounds don't work.

Here's what I'm working:

1. Install as an add-on.xml
  2. Updating panel.cfg files to support configs/sounds and proper panel state on load
  3. Updating DLL and GAU files for 64-bit
  4. Updating sound configuration files to properly map sounds
  5. Updating XML gauges for sounds
  6. Paint kit updates for removing old shadows and highlights

Numbers 2 and 5 are my in-progress items, with #5 being the ugliest.

• Upvote 2

Who wants to fly the JustFlight DC-10 HD in P3Dv5 this weekend?!  😀

msp_departure_30.jpg

Here's a LONG document that will get your panel sounds working with a JustFlight DC-10 HD that is installed using the add-on.xml method.  Please note, this isn't for the faint of heart...There are a lot of files to update and you will be on your own if you do.  If editing aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg, XML files, and command line statements isn't in your wheelhouse, look elsewhere.  The end result however is a nice change of pace from the study-level glass flight decks - An old round gauge beast with a flight engineer panel.

A Better JustFlight DC-10 HD in 64-bit Prepar3D Versions

Read the doc carefully - While I will appreciate feedback, do not expect any support from me (or JustFlight for that matter, should you alter the install).  I will continue to make changes to this document for those that are interested and keep it at the same link.  For example, there's some paint kit modifications that will help with exterior models in P3Dv5, and I'd like to get some info in the doc on upgrading the FMC and/or the panel configs to create an MD-10, if anybody would want to help with that.  Man, if this thing could support SIDs, STARs, and Navigraph...

Enjoy.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

Who wants to fly the JustFlight DC-10 HD in P3Dv5 this weekend?!  😀

Meeee!!! I have a very long weekend (Monday and Tuesday are public holidays here) so I'll give it a try. However, I bought the DC-10 through Steam, and I have P3D4.5 instead. But your document looks like a very fine place to start, following the addon.xml method. Thanks a lot!! 

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

10 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

A Better JustFlight DC-10 HD in 64-bit Prepar3D Versions

Read the doc carefully - While I will appreciate feedback, do not expect any support from me (or JustFlight for that matter, should you alter the install).

Very nice!  I will compare what you did, with what I did.  It's been so long since I did it, that I cannot remember everything I did.  I know I had to adjust the Doug Dawson sound gauge .ini files to manually point to the exact path of each .wav file.

10 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

I will continue to make changes to this document for those that are interested and keep it at the same link.  For example, there's some paint kit modifications that will help with exterior models in P3Dv5, and I'd like to get some info in the doc on upgrading the FMC and/or the panel configs to create an MD-10, if anybody would want to help with that.  Man, if this thing could support SIDs, STARs, and Navigraph...

Enjoy.

I did that (made an MD-10) using Ernie Alston's payware ISG gauges.  However, I only got so far as making popup gauges.  I did not push into the realm of adding these to the VC, which for me at least, would be more difficult.   The ISG gauges do support Navigraph updates.

I was flying Fedex MD-10 ops two years ago using the JustFlight DC-10 w/ SGA air files, with interior sounds and Navigraph/SID/STARs via Ernie's gauges.  It was pretty good and fun.  I started flying other things though, and need to really bring myself up to speed on this again.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MammyJammy,

Did you use a specific tool for putting together the documentation? It looks very nice. There is a tool called Clarify-It that I used a lot to quickly put together screenshot based documentation, but it's currently in "maintenance mode". I'm not a fan of Word for this particular task.

Alistair

5 hours ago, Alistair Logie said:

Did you use a specific tool for putting together the documentation? It looks very nice.

Nothing fancy, just Word.  I've wrestled with it for enough years to get what I want out of it.

6 hours ago, Mace said:

I did that (made an MD-10) using Ernie Alston's payware ISG gauges.  However, I only got so far as making popup gauges.  I did not push into the realm of adding these to the VC, which for me at least, would be more difficult.   The ISG gauges do support Navigraph updates.

I might pick up the gauges and see if I can at least get the FMC into the VC.  The gauge definition for it is fairly straight-forward and there are no 3D modeled elements to make it tricky.  The front instrument cluster may be a bit of a different story to make it a fully-functioning MD-10, so that will be a bit further down the list.

9 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Meeee!!! I have a very long weekend (Monday and Tuesday are public holidays here) so I'll give it a try. However, I bought the DC-10 through Steam, and I have P3D4.5 instead. But your document looks like a very fine place to start, following the addon.xml method. Thanks a lot!! 

Everything in the doc should apply to any 64-bit version of P3D.  The paths will be a bit different (you'll use the Prepar3D v4 Add Ons in your My Docs vs. v5, and the SDK will be different) but everything else should apply.

I'm also messing around with an FSUIPC Lua script to "intercept" the original sound calls to avoid having to edit all the gauges (cause it's a royal pain I know).  If I can get it streamlined I'll update the doc accordingly.  In the meantime, I might get a PHNL - KMSP hop going.  It was after all the last DC-10 route Northwest ever flew.  For all you flying it remember, the wing loading on the DC-10 is much higher than more modern birds and those flaps are giant drag machines, so don't cut power too fast in your flare or she'll land heavy!

@MammyJammy 

Thank you very much for your excellent guide! I’m about halfway through editing the xml’s in the CAB file. So far so good. I have all my JF birds in one add on.xml, so I just lumped it with those. 

Will finish it tomorrow while watching the snooker on the iPad 👍

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

1 hour ago, MammyJammy said:

I'm also messing around with an FSUIPC Lua script to "intercept" the original sound calls to avoid having to edit all the gauges (cause it's a royal pain I know).  If I can get it streamlined I'll update the doc accordingly.  In the meantime, I might get a PHNL - KMSP hop going.  It was after all the last DC-10 route Northwest ever flew.  For all you flying it remember, the wing loading on the DC-10 is much higher than more modern birds and those flaps are giant drag machines, so don't cut power too fast in your flare or she'll land heavy!

There you go.  Nothing like the 90's era Northwest livery on a DC-10.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

@MammyJammy Im having problems rebuilding the CAB file. 

Using command prompt I cd to my SDK F:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v5\SDK

My GaugeExtract is in F:\P3D Addons\JF DC-10

So I run in command prompt (tried admin command prompt as well) with:

cabdir F:\P3D Addons\JF DC-10\GaugeExtract

And it gives me the following message. "Must specify a wild card, directory or cab file with destination"

Any Ideas? 100% sure my paths are correct.

VmZsC4E.jpgCtblVMi.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Oh, I just solved it. 

Had to use speech marks, due to space in the directory names. 

cabdir "F:\P3D Addons\JF DC-10\GaugeExtract" 

Worked like a charm 😎

• Like 1

Hey all - I've managed to GREATLY simplify the editing necessary to get the sounds working.  If you have a registered version of FSUIPC installed, I've written up a crisp Lua script that will "intercept" the old sounds and route to the updated style of playing sounds.  This means you will not need to edit a single XML gauge file.  I will update the doc later today with instructions and a download link to the script.  It's a pretty slick solution and will save you hours in getting this working.

Also, I've built some GSX configs for the freighter and passenger models as there is no default GSX config.  It won't have door open/close checks ('cause I have no idea how that works with GSX) but it will get the loaders and jetways into the right spots.  I will link them in the update doc too.

Stay tuned...