Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Does Just Flight DC-10 work on Prepar3D v5?

The doc is updated with a few big changes which make getting the DC-10 working in P3D, including all sounds (panels, altitude callouts, etc.) working with a single FSUIPC extension file.  You no longer need to edit ANY of the gauge XML files as long as you have a registered (paid) version of FSUIPC.

See the updated doc (<- Here or at the same link in the earlier post).  There's changes to the sound config that you must update and links to download what you need to get FSUIPC to do the hard work of mapping the sounds.  This will get all the sounds working including some that were not mapped in the default DC-10 install.  I'm working on links to better altitude callouts as the ones included with this package are inconsistent in volume and voices.  Stay tuned for that.

I have also included a link to GSX configurations for all the passenger and freighter variants!  I will flush out the docs a little bit more but for those of you familiar with copying around GSX files, extract the ZIP linked in the doc below into your %APPDATA%\virtuali\GSX\SimObjects folder and off you go.  Below are some pictures of catering, multi-jetway boarding, and freighter loading in P3Dv5.

eham_catering_e9.jpg

kmsp_boarding_g4.jpg

kmem_fedex_loading.jpg

Edited by MammyJammy
formatting and images
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the manual to get this old beauty working in P3D.

I use this in v4.5 for the moment as i've not switched yet to v5 and wondered if you could help me with the following:

-I seem to lack some reflection profiles for this bird.I found 1 set,but the DC-10-30F is missing and be it,that's the one i'm using the most 😄 Also the regular DC-10-30 is missing thereflection on the center fuselage.

-I read on the simouthouse forum that there seem to be a panel merge for the ISG gauges flaoting around somewhere,but i'm unable to find it.Could anyone point me in the right direction for this?

Thanks in advance!

Brgds,

Steven

Steven Ghion

Belgian Virtual Tigers

tiger1m.jpg

6 hours ago, BelgianTiger_2 said:

-I read on the simouthouse forum that there seem to be a panel merge for the ISG gauges flaoting around somewhere,but i'm unable to find it.Could anyone point me in the right direction for this?

I run the ISG MD gauges as popups in P3Dv4.5, and there are some threads about it over at the JustFlight forums.  It would be the old JF forums as they have re-worked their forums about a year ago. -- Many of the DC-10 threads are hidden in the "F-Lite" subforum:

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=10&SID=8222422c1fa132273f1cf8c46cd540707523148&title=flite

Now if you're talking about ISG gauges into the VC, I never got that far with it.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Another update brings some BIG features to the DC-10 improvements I've been working on.  Here's a list of changes described in the most recent doc update.  It really makes for a dramatically better JustFlight DC-10 HD.

UPDATED DOCUMENT AVAILABLE HERE (Last updated 2020-Dec-21)

1. No more editing gauge files.  All the changes to support sounds are included in a single FSUIPC Lua file.  A registered copy of FSUIPC is now required (if you don't have a copy, go get one.  Seriously.  Quit waiting.  It's an awesome tool.
  2. PANEL STATES!  Yes, you read that right:  With a custom FSUIPC file, it supports cold-and-dark, on APU, and ready to taxi states.  It includes a menu (pictured below) for your use - Just hit Ctrl-Shift-F12.  Note:  There's some quirks I'm still working out with the myriad of panel variables in this thing and making sure the base P3D offsets are also handled properly (such as engine states).  Post here if you notice something odd.
  3. GSX Configs with door checks customized to the different passenger and freighter variants.
  4. Updated PFPX fuel variables for more accurate range and burn with flight planning.  Weights and capacities are also provided that are matched to the different specs of the passenger and freighter variants.
  5. Improved GPWS (altitude) call-outs.  With the sounds working (every single one), the ones that come with the DC-10 will drive you bonkers as they are inconsistent and filled with background noise.

panel_states_menu.jpg

3 hours ago, Mace said:

Now if you're talking about ISG gauges into the VC, I never got that far with it.

On my not-so-distant list of things to tackle.  A full MD-10 will be difficult given some of what's 3D modeled into the VC, but a nav display and an improved FMC shouldn't be too bad.  We'll call it an MDC-10.  Other things I want to tackle are detecting the state of certain switches to make the behavior more authentic (such as starting an engine only with the APU configured correctly).

10 hours ago, BelgianTiger_2 said:

-I seem to lack some reflection profiles for this bird.I found 1 set,but the DC-10-30F is missing and be it,that's the one i'm using the most 😄 Also the regular DC-10-30 is missing thereflection on the center fuselage.

I've never bothered with ReShade or TomatoShade or any other shader tweaks with reflection profiles, so I can't answer your question.  I will say however that while the JF DC-10 HD might not be a full PBR model, it does look pretty good in the sunshine in P3Dv5.  The rivet details especially.

Enjoy.  Meanwhile I need to put together a post of a test flight I took in this thing...

• Upvote 1

Well, I said above, I'd love to have a quality DC-10 in v4/5.  You're certainly tempting me to buy the Just Flight offering (even at ~$40) and port it.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Interesting note, if you have your FSUIPC6 installed outside via xml method, the lua script does not load (or, it loads, but doesn't play any sounds).  Or at least my pc-fu was too weak, and I couldn't get it to work.

I had to install FSUIPC6 in the P3Dv5\Modules folder to get the script to load.  Then everything worked like a charm.

It's ok.  It gave me an excuse to update my FSUIPC6 version, which was a version from April 2020.  Which makes me wonder if that was the problem all along...

Rhett

@MammyJammy -- I found an SGA DC-10-10 air file amongst my piles of stuff.

I'm not sure if I got that at flightsim.com and I really can't remember what the story on that was.  It has been 2-3 years since I modded this aircraft and I have forgotten a lot of what I did and learned back then.

A user at simouthouse named BendyFlyer came up with some mods as well, which corrected things like fuel tank capacities etc. which are not correct in the release-to-market JustFlight DC-10 HD.  I'm sure these are still available at simouthouse.

I also have a really crude basic checklist which...I think I made, for this model (so obviously pretty far from a real checklist).  It's text format so I could post it here if anyone wants.

Next I am going to port over the TSS soundset from v4 to v5.  But it is late, save that for another night.

My sim was missing something.  Thanks for rekindling my interest in the mods for the JustFlight DC-10 HD.

Rhett

@Mace If you have a link to the DC-10-10 file, send it my way and I will get it included into the document.  If you don't have a link send me the name of the zip file and I will search around for it.  Also, I have the fuel configs for the -30 and -40 variants in the document (p. 25), with proper CGs and quantities.  It will show correctly on the FE panel with all four tanks too.  I'll check into the -10s as well...I just managed to find the Boeing handling manual for the DC/MD-10 and it has all the appropriate specs in it.  I will add any other updates to the aircraft.cfg file for operating and empty weights as well for all the variants.

Also I'll look into the oddities with the Lua file when FSUIPC is installed outside.  I am using FSUIPC installed into the modules folder but connected to P3D via add-on.xml.  I think the Lua file just needs to be in the same directory as the DLL and the .ini file (which configures the auto-load) but I'm not sure.  I also noticed an oddity with some of the sounds when I switched over to the event model for sound play-back.  I may revert to my earlier implementation for sounds and leave the panel states as-is.

12 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Well, I said above, I'd love to have a quality DC-10 in v4/5.  You're certainly tempting me to buy the Just Flight offering (even at ~$40) and port it.

These changes make it a better aircraft, but if you are going to purchase it make sure you know what it is and is not.  It is not a super-fidelity simulation like a PMDG, FSLabs, or Majestic.  The VC is good but not great with plenty of non-operational switches.  The FMC is pretty basic and uses flight plans from P3D (which you can generate with PFPX).  The systems simulations are non-existent as underneath it relies on the basic FSX/P3D functions.  Some system improvements is my next volley along with changing out the FMC for the ISG version in the VC.  Long story short, go in with the right expectations.

On the other hand, performance is fantastic and my frames stay smooth.  More so however, it is a very different flying experience which makes for a nice change of pace from the current-gen tubeliners.  Instead of full FADEC, an LNAV/VNAV autopilot with CAT-III landing, you get a basic autothrottle and GPS/INS with no moving map and twin VOR nav radios.  It takes a lot more work to navigate departures and arrivals and you get to learn (or re-learn) how to fly the VOR needles.  Two of the more fun approaches I've flown are the northerly STAR arrival into MMMX using twin VORs, and the Cheung Chau transition to the IGS13 visual approach into Kai Tak.  Both arrivals are quite a bit more intense in the DC-10.

19 minutes ago, MammyJammy said:

@Mace If you have a link to the DC-10-10 file, send it my way and I will get it included into the document.  If you don't have a link send me the name of the zip file and I will search around for it. 

It's possible I got the -10 air file on simouthouse, or on JF forum as a hosted/linked file -- but anyway, I did find this link:

http://www.sgair.de/dc10-oo.html

...but use at your own discretion, the site seems a bit dubious to me.  I do not know if the "base package" on that site includes the -10 air file, but it might.

As an alternative I can e-mail you the file I do have.  I can't recall if it is accurate as to the fuel tank capacities.

Rhett

37 minutes ago, MammyJammy said:

@Mace If you have a link to the DC-10-10 file, send it my way and I will get it included into the document.  If you don't have a link send me the name of the zip file and I will search around for it.  Also, I have the fuel configs for the -30 and -40 variants in the document (p. 25), with proper CGs and quantities.  It will show correctly on the FE panel with all four tanks too.  I'll check into the -10s as well...I just managed to find the Boeing handling manual for the DC/MD-10 and it has all the appropriate specs in it.  I will add any other updates to the aircraft.cfg file for operating and empty weights as well for all the variants.

Here is a link to the old JF forum, where they discuss fuel capacities and a lot more...this is probably the most useful of those DC-10 threads:

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32377&PN=1&title=dc10-hd-fixes-and-mods

I now see I left user Kris high-n-dry by not responding to him there.  😀    That was about the time JustFlight ended the old forum and started their current one.

Edited by Mace
cain't spel

Rhett

Hey MammyJammy,

Just a note on cockpit immersive sounds.

Doug Dawson's sound gauge allows you to pass events via a custom xml script.

Makes it really easy to map sounds to aircraft retrospectively where there were either none or few or it is x32 ->x64.

While not as a perfect solution as having the aircraft being properly made compatable for x64 it is a nice easy method to implement.

Cudos have to go to the author to "CockpitSounds V2" who demonstrated the method waaay back in FSX days. CockpitSounds V2 can be found in the AVSIM library.

Cheers R

For Example:

Panel:

gauge10=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound,  0,0,0,,\CockpitSounds\CockpitSounds_C208B.ini
gauge11=CockpitSounds!KeyEvent_RAD_SND_C208B,  0,0,1

Default Events:

<Update Frequency="18"/>

<Keys>
    <On Event="TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY">
      1 (&gt;L:DSD_Battery_Switch_SD,number)
    </On>

Custom Events:

<!-- Defrost or Forward Cabin Push/Pull knob (perilla in Spanish means Knob) -->
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>
        (L:Perilla1,number) (L:Perilla1_TMP,number) !=
      if{
        1 (&gt;L:DSD_LeverSw2_SD,number)
        (L:Perilla1,number) (&gt;L:Perilla1_TMP,number)
        }
      </Value>
    </Select>
  </Element>

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 12/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, Mace said:

It's possible I got the -10 air file on simouthouse, or on JF forum as a hosted/linked file -- but anyway, I did find this link:

http://www.sgair.de/dc10-oo.html

Hi Mace - I managed to find a download package with the SGA -10 air file in it and have included it in an updated verison of the doc.  It's a link to Flightsim.com.  My guess is most of the SGA files on AVSIM got lost during the library issue many years ago.  Either way, update is included with a link and the changes necessary to get it working.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, Mace said:

Here is a link to the old JF forum, where they discuss fuel capacities and a lot more...this is probably the most useful of those DC-10 threads:

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32377&PN=1&title=dc10-hd-fixes-and-mods

Heh...I linked to that thread and the KrisJ post from the original version of the document.  I've taken it a step further in my latest revisions and have included the fuel configs for the -10 as well, including the optional aux tank that was available as a later option on the -10s.  The CGs are probably a little off, but the quantities and gauges on the FE panel will be correct.  I've also included a link to the DC/MD-10 handling manual and specifications document...Super helpful for this stuff.  I've also added all the changes necessary to get the gross and operating empty weights correct specific to each variant.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, Rogen said:

Hey MammyJammy,

Just a note on cockpit immersive sounds.

Doug Dawson's sound gauge allows you to pass events via a custom xml script.

Makes it really easy to map sounds to aircraft retrospectively where there were either none or few or it is x32 ->x64.

While not as a perfect solution as having the aircraft being properly made compatable for x64 it is a nice easy method to implement.

Thanks Rogen - The sound gauge in the JF DC-10 is likely an old version of Doug Dawson's gauge.  It works very similarly and requires a similar sound config.  The only thing is it works backwards compared to the new version, as well as the one that comes with the x64 compiled JF DC-10.  In the old gauge different values were sent to a particular LVar to play a sound, with the value representing the sound.  In the new version the values are passed to discrete LVars for each sound, which allows the value to indicate how the sound should be played.  The config that ships w/ the JF DC-10 doesn't work with this updated gauge, so the config changes are described in the linked doc.  All my FSUIPC script does is "catch" these old-style calls, and re-route them to the new style.  I'll look into the other option you suggest, however with the FSUIPC piece working well, it's further down my list than say the ISG gauges in the VC.

New doc uploaded.

Here's a great hour-long video that follows a Lufthansa DC-10 flight from Frankfurt to Beijing.  English version below, but there is also a German version too.  It's a great detailed watch of the flight, similar to some of the newer JustPlanes videos with lots of flight deck footage and info about the flight.  I've used this to frame up a test flight to check fuel burn and other items described in the doc I've put together.

And here's what my replicated flight looked like.  P3Dv5.1 HF 1, EA enabled.

We departed from gate B24 at EDDF.  This paint and the reflections are out-of-the-box JustFlight DC-10.  While not full PBR, I do think the detail looks good in the sun (despite the blue on the tail being slightly too dark).
LH_eddf_gate_boarding.jpg

We depart on a hazy and cloudy afternoon near max fuel and several thousand pounds shy of MTOW.
LH_eddf_departure.jpg

We make most of our cruise across Russia and Mongolia at night.
LH_eddf_cruise_flight_deck.jpg

We arrive to ZBAA from the NW, following the STAR which swings us south of Beijing proper before turning NE for an approach to 01 on the East side of the field.  We're on the ILS, localizer and glideslope captured.
LH_eddf_appr_final.jpg

And since I was already on this side of the globe, I decided to add a throw-back tag leg and took a 3-hour detour south to the old Kai Tak.  We arrive via the CH VOR (Cheung Chau transition), flying a visual to the famous IGS 13 approach.  We fly from here westbound, then make a visual sweeping right turn to almost directly above the new VHHH airport, before intercepting the 088 radial and flying the checkerboard visual.
LH_vhhx_cheung_chau_arrival.jpg

And after a right turn just above the building tops, we touch down long on runway 13, rolling out safely.
LH_vhhx_rollout.jpg

• Like 2

Just to confirm, this is the correct version of the DC-10 for these v4/v5 mods?

https://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=21039&cat=0&page=1

Looks like it's 33% off.  Does anyone know if there's a Northwest (silver/new colors) and Northwest/KLM livery out there, preferably freeware?  Thanks.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

3 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Just to confirm, this is the correct version of the DC-10 for these v4/v5 mods?

https://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=21039&cat=0&page=1

Looks like it's 33% off.  Does anyone know if there's a Northwest (silver/new colors) and Northwest/KLM livery out there, preferably freeware?  Thanks.

That looks like the right version, but I haven't purchased anything through PC Aviator - I got my copy @ SimMarket.  There was an update to it back in 2017 to make it partially P3Dv4 compliant.  If PC Aviator is pretty good about updates from publishers, my guess would be it's the right one - It's the HD bundle and all the listed features/paints are identical.  I can't be sure since I didn't get mine from there, but it certainly appears to be the right one.  The filename for the download of my version from SimMarket is "Install_DC10HD_TP_200.exe".

As for the repaints, both are out there (assuming you mean the blended NWA/KLM livery) on Flightsim.com (again, I searched the avsim library to no avail):

NWA NC:
https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fsec=0&fname=n226nwdc10.zip

NWA/KLM Blended:
https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fsec=0&fname=nwklmdc10.zip

You can also search for "Just Flight DC-10" and you'll get a ton of repaints for it on flightsim.com.  Most of the paints in the Avsim library look like they were for the old non-HD version.