Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Does Just Flight DC-10 work on Prepar3D v5?

And here is the DC-10-30 config file:

; McDonnell-Douglas DC-10-30F
ApprFlapsMin=15
ApprFlapsMid=35
ApprFlapsMax=50
BestHoldIas=180
ClbAltRest=10000
ClbSpdRest=250
ClimbIas=300
ClimbRate=2000
ClimbIasMax=300
ClimbIasMin=200
CostIndex=200
CruiseIasMax=340
CruiseIasMin=290
DescentIasMax=290
DescentIasMin=180
DescentRate=2000
EngThrust=53000
FPA=3.5
LdgFlaps=50
MaxCruise=33000
MaxVnavDescRate=3500
MaxVnavClimbRate=2000
MinVnavIas=135
MinVNavRadioAlt=500
ModelID=DC-10-30F
ParkingFile=isg_Parking.txt
MFDTextAntiAlias=0
TOFlaps=15
TOFlapsRange=5,15,22,35,50
TransAlt=18000

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

@Mace you beat me to my next ask by an hour!  I'll test these config files with the current setup I have working and get them documented.  Thanks again for the help!  It really sped me up on this.  Virtual high-five.

Quick update:  I've been able to get the ISG gauges functioning in the DC-10, thanks to your panel config.  I've also been able to get them working outside the P3D root folder, including NAV data (with a Navigraph update I pushed) and flight plans generated by PFPX, which supports the Simavionics route formats.  I will get these steps included so you all can set up Navigraph updates and PFPX exports.  It's actually pretty simple.

I ALSO have the FMC working in the VC!  I need to polish it up a little and @Mace I see where you got hung up with the CLS/JF textures and [VCockpit] config which made the FMC in the VC near-impossible to use.  It's a bigger pain in the buns than 2D panels, I've been able to modify the texture config and the base texture to make it look OK, but it still needs some polish.  I will get a semi quick-and-dirty version done later tonight that doesn't include compatibility with the pedestal illumination for now, and I'll get that corrected later in the week.  I'll also get the textures color-correct so it blends in far more seamlessly.  Screenshot below showing the FMC with the latest AIRAC cycle loading.

I'll get an updated doc uploaded tonight or tomorrow with all this included, as well as the bug fix for the sounds and panel states I mentioned earlier.  I could still use some info on FSUIPC6.dll/ini locations and an FSUIPC6.log for somebody who has it installed with those items outside the /Modules folder.

fmc_in_vc.jpg

For the ND display, I plan to do a bit of a hack DC/MD-10 hybrid with an ND display in place of the HSI and the control panel for it somewhere on either the main panel or the forward pedestal.  TBD on that.  I will also get the LNAV/VNAV onto the MCP somewhere...TBD on that as well.  I did however find evidence that these "franken-MDs" existed in the wild.  Check out the flight deck photo here:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/88/12/118812b3868f3ebdf9595161a3a9e54b.jpg

• Like 1

Note on the two cfg files, the -10 file may have been based on the CLS .air file, where a default climb of 1500 fpm was needed to avoid problems in certain modes.  I have not tested much with the SGA -10 air file, maybe 1500 fpm can be increased.   Notice how in -30 file I have 2000 fpm, which seemed to work for the -30's.

As for the LNAV/VNAV buttons, I just set them off in a crude little window so that I could at least use them.

I think I mentioned this in my post the other day, but I also got rid of all of the 2D panels except for door control, but a person could easily add those 2D panels back in if they wanted.  I just found myself not using them.

I'm really excited to see that you were able to get around the texture issue with the FMC!

Rhett

5 hours ago, Mace said:

As for the LNAV/VNAV buttons, I just set them off in a crude little window so that I could at least use them.

Still working on getting the three "necessary" gauges into the VC (FMC, ND, EFIS control panel).  Making progress, but I noticed an odd thing that may be simply how the ISG Smiths FMC works, or how it plays with the JF DC-10.  @Mace - How did you engage LNAV for waypoint-to-waypoint with the autopilot?  I can get it to fly to the headings set by the flight plan but only using heading select mode.  However it does not help it get on course.  Did you ever have LNAV actually working where it would follow course and if so, what combo of GPS and VOR/LOC hold were you using as set by the MCP of the DC-10?

Here's a snap of the ND on the captain's main panel.  Ignore the bitmap overlay from the old HSI - I know how to fix it after getting the FMC onto the pedestal correctly.  I want to make sure I'm configuring this correctly before publishing a new version of the doc, so advice on LNAV would be helpful.  I'm less concerned about VNAV for the moment.

nd_on_captains_panel.jpg

Oh, and I have the performance files working too - Also outside the P3D root directly.  Practically a drop-in install.  Do you mind if I package them as files and include in the ZIP for others?

19 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

Still working on getting the three "necessary" gauges into the VC (FMC, ND, EFIS control panel).  Making progress, but I noticed an odd thing that may be simply how the ISG Smiths FMC works, or how it plays with the JF DC-10.  @Mace - How did you engage LNAV for waypoint-to-waypoint with the autopilot?  I can get it to fly to the headings set by the flight plan but only using heading select mode.  However it does not help it get on course.  Did you ever have LNAV actually working where it would follow course and if so, what combo of GPS and VOR/LOC hold were you using as set by the MCP of the DC-10?

Here's a snap of the ND on the captain's main panel.  Ignore the bitmap overlay from the old HSI - I know how to fix it after getting the FMC onto the pedestal correctly.  I want to make sure I'm configuring this correctly before publishing a new version of the doc, so advice on LNAV would be helpful.  I'm less concerned about VNAV for the moment.

nd_on_captains_panel.jpg

Oh, and I have the performance files working too - Also outside the P3D root directly.  Practically a drop-in install.  Do you mind if I package them as files and include in the ZIP for others?

You can include those performance files in the zip for sure.  I think the one is named DC1010F.cfg but it might as well be DC1010.cfg as it would be used for all -10's. 

As for LNAV and ISG, yes, it does work.  I'm not at home right now, so I can't remember offhand the mode you have to get into.  I think it was *HDG* mode but I'd have to be in the cockpit to do it.  Then you click on the LNAV button, and that's it.  It then starts automatically following the line, turning as it will at each waypoint.  Next time I'm home I'll do a flight with it and write down what I do.

It's interesting how Ernie Alston coded the LNAV.  It appears that it's basically still in heading mode, but the heading is constantly changing to create a "de-facto" LNAV.  It's pretty ingenious.   I bet he did it this way, so that it would work with any aircraft that uses default heading mode with its autopilot.

Rhett

3 hours ago, Mace said:

As for LNAV and ISG, yes, it does work.  I'm not at home right now, so I can't remember offhand the mode you have to get into.  I think it was *HDG* mode but I'd have to be in the cockpit to do it.

Give it a test and let me know.  I'm making progress but expecting two large hurdles:  First, the way the main panel is modeled makes it more difficult to get our RNAV-equipped MDC-10 working.  I'll fight with it more throughout the week.  Second is that once I know how to get LNAV working, I'll get going on the MCP and annunciator panels for it.  That could be tricky as well.

The one piece of progress I have today is the FMC/CDU.  The buttons are actually modeled in 3D in the VC so it was more difficult than I planned, but I have it and the backlighting with the integrated pedestal light knob working.  I still need to tweak some labels, but it's much better than it was a day ago.  The FMC is now fully-functional in the VC and fits in with a way more seamless look.

cdu_part_2.jpg

Edited by MammyJammy

22 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

Give it a test and let me know. 

LNAV:  Go into HDG mode on the autopilot.  Then get roughly close to the magenta line, and press the LNAV button.  That's it.  Easy as apple pie on sunday.  I haven't tested how far off the magenta line you can be to where it will pick up.

Proper LNAV following assumes you have programmed the FMC of course.

As far as VNAV, I make sure autothrottle (ATS) is on, then I go into SPD mode, 250 knots (or whatever speed), and then press the VNAV button.   I'm sure you know this, but for those reading this who do not -- Note that what you have set in the CLB page in the FMC is the airspeed at which it will climb.  The default values for these climb speeds (and cruise/descent as well) are set in your DC1030.cfg or DC1010.cfg files in the ISG\Aircraft subfolder.  You can override this in flight by going to the relevant page in the FMC (CLB page or CRZ page or DES page) and entering your own speed value.

Rhett

Getting closer...

Current VC:
full_panel.jpg

CDU/FMC on the pedestal (color-matched, fully functional):
cdu.jpg

LNAV enable/disable on the glare shield MCP:
mcp.jpg

ND on the main panel (showing the SNTNA2 departure from 28R at KSFO):
nd.jpg

I still have two things yet to figure out:  I need to get the EFIS control gauge in the VC somewhere (harder than initially planned) and I need to do some work on gauge resolution in the VC.  Both are tricky based on how the VC is constructed.  BUT...It flies as an RNAV-equipped DC-10!  The VNAV is pretty rudimentary in the ISG FMC so I've got that on the back burner for now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MammyJammy said:

Getting closer...

Current VC:
full_panel.jpg

CDU/FMC on the pedestal (color-matched, fully functional):
cdu.jpg

LNAV enable/disable on the glare shield MCP:
mcp.jpg

ND on the main panel (showing the SNTNA2 departure from 28R at KSFO):
nd.jpg

I still have two things yet to figure out:  I need to get the EFIS control gauge in the VC somewhere (harder than initially planned) and I need to do some work on gauge resolution in the VC.  Both are tricky based on how the VC is constructed.  BUT...It flies as an RNAV-equipped DC-10!  The VNAV is pretty rudimentary in the ISG FMC so I've got that on the back burner for now.

Wow im super impressed with how it looks!! Will you be releasing this a package to download? WIll I need anything before hand to get all of it to work?

Keep up the great work!

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11

MammyJammy and Mace Good work!. The panel stuff is looking really good

(and Yes it is I BendFlyer from SOH how did that happen long story but some issues on another site which led me to quitting their forum etc etc - too many idiots)

Ok now - I stopped work on the DC-10 due to my involvement in another project with some SOH members which was to revitalise the FSX KBT L-188 Electra and make it P3DV5 compatible. This is nearly finished and now it is all driven from the VC and the old 2d panels dispensed to the bin for good. There was a lot of custom gauge work that had to be done as well. This old girl now fly's like an Electra would have. Still have some texture issues and some minor bleed problems on the new models to be sorted but that is where my and a few others time went - KBT willing we may release it have to wait and see). 

I intend to revisit the AIR files for this one and see what can be done using the SGA air files as a template. Once the air files are correct the rest should follow more easily. Positive that it will all work out so maybe a few more weeks. 

I note the engine and other details in the previous posts - I will chase down data now for these turbines to redo the tables etc in the airfiles. 

Edited by coastaldriver

Hi guys.

I'm very happy for this fix, I've loved this bird since FSX, however i'm quite stuck on creating the add-on.xml part

I've followed the instructions carefully and tried numerous times but it just ends up not working, when i open the completed xml the entries that i pasted from the instruction with the required install location don't show and all i get is this, see pic.. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HuSSxhKw3jxm4Eww8Adb8pYgIWs24XSI/view?usp=sharing

Can somebody please help me, all was going well until i got to here..

Thanks.

Richard Smith

1 hour ago, R Smith said:

Hi guys.

I'm very happy for this fix, I've loved this bird since FSX, however i'm quite stuck on creating the add-on.xml part

I've followed the instructions carefully and tried numerous times but it just ends up not working, when i open the completed xml the entries that i pasted from the instruction with the required install location don't show and all i get is this, see pic.. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HuSSxhKw3jxm4Eww8Adb8pYgIWs24XSI/view?usp=sharing

Can somebody please help me, all was going well until i got to here..

Thanks.

My add-on.xml for the DC-10 is located in c:\users\Rhett\Documents\Prepar3Dv5 Add-ons\JF_DC10\add-on.xml

...and it looks like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>JustFlight DC-10</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>JustFlight DC-10</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Effects</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Gauges</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Gauges</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Sound</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Sound</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Also remember to use a program like Notepad++ (it's a free download) if you need to edit an xml file.  My DC-10 add-on.xml file is encoded as UTF-8-BOM.

Also your paths may be different.  I have my DC-10 installed to E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10

Rhett

Just now, Mace said:

My add-on.xml for the DC-10 is located in c:\users\Rhett\Documents\Prepar3Dv5 Add-ons\JF_DC10\add-on.xml

...and it looks like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>JustFlight DC-10</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>JustFlight DC-10</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Effects</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Gauges</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Gauges</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Sound</Category>
    <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Sound</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Also remember to use a program like Notepad++ (it's a free download) if you need to edit an xml file.  My DC-10 add-on.xml file is encoded as UTF-8-BOM.

Also your paths may be different.  I have my DC-10 installed to E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10

Hello.

Thanks for the reply sorted thanks, i had it like this.. <Path><E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10>\Effects</Path> instead of <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Effects</Path> had to ger rid of the extra < & > .

Richard Smith

Edited by R Smith

Richard Smith