Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Does Just Flight DC-10 work on Prepar3D v5?

On 1/13/2021 at 10:12 PM, Mets737 said:

Wow im super impressed with how it looks!! Will you be releasing this a package to download? WIll I need anything before hand to get all of it to work?

Keep up the great work!

I wouldn't exactly call it a package to download.  Since this is a mod to a commercial package, it's mostly a doc showing how you can edit the config files you need to.  I will not re-distribute anything from the base package.  There are some additional files you'll need (some my own, some from others), and the links are in the doc in earlier posts in this thread.  It's involved, but makes the DC-10 much improved.  These mods require a paid version of FSUIPC and for an RNAV/FMC enabled DC-10, you'll need the Integrated Simavionics (ISG) gauges by Ernie Alston.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, coastaldriver said:

I intend to revisit the AIR files for this one and see what can be done using the SGA air files as a template. Once the air files are correct the rest should follow more easily. Positive that it will all work out so maybe a few more weeks. 

I note the engine and other details in the previous posts - I will chase down data now for these turbines to redo the tables etc in the airfiles. 

Anybody here have experience with FSBuild files?  I'm working on the configs for the ISG gauges and what the FMC is really missing is performance files for this bird.  It's non-trivial to do though.  So...Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  😀

7 hours ago, R Smith said:

Thanks for the reply sorted thanks, i had it like this.. <Path><E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10>\Effects</Path> instead of <Path>E:\Aircraft\JF_DC10\Effects</Path> had to ger rid of the extra < & > .

Glad you got it working.  Make sure you follow the directions in the doc carefully.  Some of these files are picky to say the least.

And of course, an update:

I have the ND, FMC, LNAV, and VNAV all working and integrated into the VC!  It involves hi-jacking some original functions, for example you no longer have an N1 hold.  I'm still working on getting it all functioning correctly and after a few days of fighting to get everything in the VC, I'm now going through some test flights.  The ISG package is extremely customizable, and getting all the variables correct for the DC-10 variants is taking a bit of time.  @Mace, I'm learning as I go.  The VNAV mode is quirky, so I'm trying to observe what it does to get the config variables correct.  The config has a big influence on how both LNAV and VNAV work.  LNAV is working great and with a flight plan entered correctly will follow SIDs, STARs, and correct for FP updates (such as shortcutting around a waypoint).  I just flew a test flight transitioning from LNAV onto the ILS of 26R at CYVR in near-zero visibility.  Busted out below the clouds about 1,000 ft AGL and hand flew short-final.  Lots of fun and it worked well in transitioning modes.

I'll get an update to the doc out later this week along with an update to the ZIP linked within it that has the required additional files.  There's some textures and some new FSUIPC scripts you'll need.  I'm still trying to get one function that required editing an XML gauge into its own Lua file to make the changes easier.

Full flight deck:  You'll notice a functioning ND, LNAV, and VNAV in this shot.  I'm climbing out of SFO on the SNTNA2 departure, north to PDX.
flight_deck.jpg

MCP:  LNAV and VNAV are on the main panel and the buttons function.
mcp_lnav_vnav.jpg

ND:  The mode and range knobs are fully functional.  This is the correct ND for a hybrid DC-10 which in my research used the ND more similar to the MD-80 than the MD-11.  And also because the ISG MD-11 ND doesn't work with a mode knob.  So yeah.
nd_knobs.jpg

I'm loving this, about time this bird got the love it deserves, I've still got the stock avionics on mine for now and I've been improving my Gpws with wav files "borrowed" from one of my study level aircraft.

So happy its back to normal, I'm going to have ago at your hybrid cockpit at some point.

Richard Smith

Also it might be a good idea creating your own thread for this, I can imagine alot of people wanting to do this.

Richard Smith

I'm not spamming i promise, BUT I've found a weird bug that people need to know about.

If your center tank is empty the cockpit sounds will stop working correctly, basically they become intermittent, this also renders the GPWS randomized in what call outs it will gives you.

However after some testing I've found it's a simple fix, don't let your center tank become completely empty, even 1% of fuel remaining is enough to fix it.

Richard Smith

Hello again. 😄

I've just noticed the download link for the updated panel states link is broken on the guide:

"5. Download the updated panel state configuration for the DC - 10 . This configuration is more verbose than those provided with the JustFlight DC - 10 HD and will work with the FSUIPC customization file to allow you to choose a panel state when the aircraft loads, properly setting the engines and other default P3D variables when a panel state is loaded, a common problem with FSX/P3D aircraft. Once downloaded, copy into the Gauges sub - folder of your JustFlight DC - 10 HD installation. The default configuration in this file is ready to taxi, but will be updated when you choose a new panel state from the pop - up menu."

(Updated Panel State configuration file for the DC - 10) <-------this link doesn't work for this file.

Richard Smith

Thanks for the heads-up.  I have a bug fix that might resolve your center tank audio issue (I think it is related to a misconfig in my Lua script and a better way to trigger the sounds) so when I update it I’ll validate all the links in the doc.

VNAV continues to boggle my mind with the ISG gauges.  I may revert to LNAV and the ND in an updated doc until I can get VNAV figured out.  The LNAV works fantastic and will allow for RNAV departures and approaches, important for those of you on VATSIM.

Stay tuned...Should have a weekend update.

Awesome thanks, I've been flying this bird exclusively since these fixes have been applied, my pmdg and aerosoft fleet are gathering dust.

Richard Smith

kmsp_494.jpg

Updated JustFlight DC-10 Customization Guide!

From that link you'll find a new version with a host of changes.  The sound playback script has been re-written and some bugs in the panel states have been fixed up.  This version also includes the directions to get the ISG gauges (Integrated Simavionics by Ernie Alston) working correctly in the VC.  That step isn't for the faint of heart, but will bring full LNAV capabilities to the DC-10, including support for SIDs, STARs, and Navigraph updates to the FMC.

For those of you following this thread, the table of contents has been updated to highlight sections that have changed.  Also, let me know what feedback you have.  I'm still working through some bumps in it, as well as trying to streamline how this is all done.  For the most part, the DC-10 is now working really well, and the way the ISG gauges are configured the LNAV tracking is great, and will also show flight director cues on the attitude indicator.

Current known Issues:

1. VNAV for the ISG package continues to be wizard-like voodoo to me.  I have not included the configs for VNAV in this package.
  2. There's an issue with the ND 2D popup.  Still need to figure that out (it's not the window ident).
  3. The backlighting for the FMC is incorrect.  I actually have this resolved but it involves unpacking and repacking the entire gauge CAB file.  Trying to find a better way to deal with that one.  I have an experiment I'm still working on.  Stay tuned.
  4. There's a bug with the "On APU" panel state and the door configuration for the freighter models.  I know how to fix it, but I have to do some scriptin' and encryptin' to make both passenger and freighter door configs work side-by-side.

@Mace Thanks again for the ISG help.  I've included the mods to your .cfg files in this package.  Much appreciated.

Feedback appreciated - Lemme know how she's flying for y'all. 

CAVU everyone!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

YAY!, now i've just got to figure out how to install ISG, there's no manual or read me any where!

Richard Smith

Does the revised install guide work without the ISG package (i.e. I don't own it, not too interested in it)?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

14 minutes ago, R Smith said:

YAY!, now i've just got to figure out how to install ISG, there's no manual or read me any where!

The install is pretty straight-forward if you put it in the P3D base directory.  It will create a sub-directory called ISG, and install one or two files into Gauges.  When I ran the install it put some in the default path for FSX (which I don't have installed) so I had to manually copy the files to the Gauges dir.  Remember to install the base, the 187 update that comes with it (for 64-bit), and the 189 beta that is required for the mods to the DC-10.

If you install outside the P3D root, which I have done, it's more involved.  You have to add a config to reference the gauges and need to create a symbolic link from the P3D directory to the ISG install such that the FMC picks up data such as aircraft configs and Navigraph.

I'll also be adding directions on how to update the ISG Navigraph data and export PFPX flight plans.  Both are pretty easy.

4 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

Does the revised install guide work without the ISG package (i.e. I don't own it, not too interested in it)?

Absolutely.  The ISG mods are in a section of the doc unto themselves.  You can still get sound, panel states, a better flight model, and other stuff without the ISG package.  The default FMC will fly a default flight plan loaded into P3D and you can manually tune an ILS.  Complicated arrival procedures require you to "fly the needles" with the twin VOR/DMEs which is very different than following the ND magenta line.  More challenging requiring you to stay ahead of the aircraft much more, but still fun.

The problem  i have is i don't know how to install the updates,  its just a .gau file in a zip, I don't know what  I'm supposed to do with it.

Richard Smith

21 minutes ago, R Smith said:

The problem  i have is i don't know how to install the updates,  its just a .gau file in a zip, I don't know what  I'm supposed to do with it.

Ah, understood.  Well the install for the patches is easy:  Simply copy the isg1.gau file over the existing one in your /Gauges folder.  The 189 beta has an installer which should install them directly, but you may want to double-check that it installed correctly (check the file size/modified date of the isg1.gau after installing).

Ok i think i've got it installed right, why can't he make a frikking read me?! 🤣

Also your new Lua script works MUCH better than the previous, the DC10 is really coming along nicely.

Richard Smith

Got this installed today looks brilliant, got a couple of small things though, when i turn the range and mode knobs on the ND it also moves the heading and course settings too.

Also turning up the center pedestal lights is making the night lighting for the lettering on the FMC from the original texture to overlap the new ones at the same time.

Is this normal as its a work in progress or have i got something wrong?

Thanks

Richard Smith