Sign in to follow this  
Gadget FPV

New to X-Plane...

Hi All,

So after simming on P3D for a few years, I finally bit the bullet on XP-11 and downloaded it today... Been playing around with the demo, and am loving it... Definitly cheaper than buying a super computer to run P3DV5 without crashing...  I love the huge repository of free addons...

I have a question, included in the download are some Aerosoft Airports, EGLL, EDDF and so on... How do these differ with the payware Aerosoft equivalent, or has LR struck up a deal with Aerosoft...

Look forward to being an active member of this family...

Faisal

Faisal Niazi

Hi Faisal, welcome to X-Plane!

The deal with the Aerosoft airports is like this:

Many many years ago (I think X-Plane 10) Aerosoft "gave" these conversions of their then payware airports to Laminar Research. Laminar has held on to these, because they include some custom objects (like terminals, towers, etc.) instead of the more "generic" buildings that all other default airports have.

I myself (working part-time for LR) have upgraded some of these airports in recent years and months to incorporate all the new possibilities that current X-Plane has (ground vehicles, taxiway signs, new objects, etc.).

My last conversions were LFPO Orly and EGLL Heathrow - so what you see at those airports is a mix of "old" Aerosoft objects and new "Laminar Research" objects.

The only "Aerosoft" airports not enhanced in this way are Faro and Paderborn.

There are newer payware versions out for some of these airports (I bought EDDF myself) - these are naturally even more realistic than the versions I made...however they are also more taxing on the framerate.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3

Welcome !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, Janov said:

Hi Faisal, welcome to X-Plane!

The deal with the Aerosoft airports is like this:

Many many years ago (I think X-Plane 10) Aerosoft "gave" these conversions of their then payware airports to Laminar Research. Laminar has held on to these, because they include some custom objects (like terminals, towers, etc.) instead of the more "generic" buildings that all other default airports have.

I myself (working part-time for LR) have upgraded some of these airports in recent years and months to incorporate all the new possibilities that current X-Plane has (ground vehicles, taxiway signs, new objects, etc.).

My last conversions were LFPO Orly and EGLL Heathrow - so what you see at those airports is a mix of "old" Aerosoft objects and new "Laminar Research" objects.

The only "Aerosoft" airports not enhanced in this way are Faro and Paderborn.

There are newer payware versions out for some of these airports (I bought EDDF myself) - these are naturally even more realistic than the versions I made...however they are also more taxing on the framerate.

Cheers, Jan

Thank you for your reply... I am looking forward to this...

Faisal Niazi

4 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

I made the switch myself a couple months back.  Really enjoying it.

Thanks for reply... Still got P3D V4 & V5 on my machine, but I have a feeling, V5 will just take up SSD real estate, so probably going to kill it...

Faisal Niazi