Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Mathijs Kok’s vision on Fs ( also on P3D )

1 hour ago, fakeflyer737 said:

100% 

I FSL Leonardo and PMDG had addons out for MSFS I'd be uninstalling P3D in a heart beat...but the time is coming and it's coming quick. 

PMDG already said they are minimum a year away from releasing the NG3. I have MSFS. Don't use it. I am P3D until FSL and PMDG are on MSFS. That at least a year away.

• Like 1

Richie Walsh

I saw this on the MSFS Developer update, which seemed like a bit of a jab at PMDG and FSL on that...

November 25th, 2020 Development Update - Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Just to mention it, we are super excited to see what Aerosoft, Hans, Stefan and the rest of the team are doing with the CRJ. It’s so rewarding to see a team embrace the SDK and create a complex aircraft with it. It’s just great quality and we are so excited to see this come together!

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

If I ran a company like Aerosoft that made and sold products for several different simulators, I would love ALL sims, at least publicly.  He /used/ to say that exact phrase, too.

Now, he's gone away from that.  Why alienate any fraction of potential sales?  I'd want every sale and every bit of goodwill I could get.   I wouldn't care what their software was.  That would be the smart play, and he could have his European distributor thing with MSFS as well!   Seems all loss and no gain to alienate anyone.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Well, just today I spent close to $500 on addons for P3D and XP11.

I pre-ordered MSFS premium the minute they let it out. Want to know how much I've spent in addons for that sim? Zero, nada, cero.

Mr. Kok may be right, but I don't know how good his bet will turn out.

I do like the simulator, but I'm not ready to invest in it, yet.  I have a healthy fleet of GA and tubeliners and lots of scenery for both P3D and XP11, and while  MSFS graphics are definitely in another league, I find it rough around the edges in many of *my personal* areas of interest, that I seldom launch it. As a matter of fact, the last two times I've used it it's been as a scenery generator for Aerowinx PSX. One of the reasons is performance: I have a 9900k OC'ed to 5.0 and a 2080ti, and at 4k there is no way to enjoy the sim in dense areas or major airports... it's a slideshow. 

It reminds me of FSX. It was launched in 2007 and I think I stuck with FS2004 until late 2010-2011. It will mature, hardware will evolve... but so will XP and P3D.

I agree with many of you: P3D and XP still have LOTS of life left in them.

Edited by evaamo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Enrique Vaamonde

A lot of astute comments.

I don’t know whether MSFS is the future of flight simulation, but I do know to take the words of someone who has pushed his chips all in that is with a grain of salt. And while he may have valid criticisms of LM with regards to updates, I find those criticisms ring hollow in comparison to a product whose SDK is by all accounts (explicit and implied) wholly inadequate.

On that point, I believe the earlier comment regarding disposable income AND that this hobby may go the way of model trains in relevant. At the end of the day flight simulation is a relatively niche hobby - the stunning visuals of MSFS are enough to draw an initial crowd, but the reality is over time, unless one is avidly interested in aviation, it will become boring. I think it’s naive to assume that it will create a whole new enthusiast market; people who were interested in aviation to the extent that they will spend hours in front of a monitor planning and executing a make believe flight, and spending thousands of dollars to enhance that make believe environment have largely already invested in one of the existing platforms. MSFS  cannibalizes that market. Its long term value in terms of third party developers lies not with the increased market size of the XBox crowd but its ability to run complex add-ons with acceptable performance - that’s the market that will spend the money for add-on after add-on (and has the disposable income to do so). Perhaps eventually it will, but I must confess some skepticism - the promotional videos leading up to MSFS’s release led to expectations (which were encouraged and not tempered) of a product that is quite different from the product that was actually released. By the same token, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, Bryn said:

I saw this on the MSFS Developer update, which seemed like a bit of a jab at PMDG and FSL on that...

November 25th, 2020 Development Update - Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Just to mention it, we are super excited to see what Aerosoft, Hans, Stefan and the rest of the team are doing with the CRJ. It’s so rewarding to see a team embrace the SDK and create a complex aircraft with it. It’s just great quality and we are so excited to see this come together!

100% jab at PMDG. If Asobo only knew that CRJ from Aerosoft is like Triple A baseball level at best while PMDG/FSL are in the major league. Of course Aerosoft can work with the current version of the SDK, they are building a interior product that does not even come close to the system depth of the big boys. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Eric 

3 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

IS MSFS different? Not in my mind.

Agreed.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

19 minutes ago, IUBrian said:

A lot of astute comments.

I don’t know whether MSFS is the future of flight simulation, but I do know to take the words of someone who has pushed his chips all in that is with a grain of salt. And while he may have valid criticisms of LM with regards to updates, I find those criticisms ring hollow in comparison to a product whose SDK is by all accounts (explicit and implied) wholly inadequate.

On that point, I believe the earlier comment regarding disposable income AND that this hobby may go the way of model trains in relevant. At the end of the day flight simulation is a relatively niche hobby - the stunning visuals of MSFS are enough to draw an initial crowd, but the reality is over time, unless one is avidly interested in aviation, it will become boring. I think it’s naive to assume that it will create a whole new enthusiast market; people who were interested in aviation to the extent that they will spend hours in front of a monitor planning and executing a make believe flight, and spending thousands of dollars to enhance that make believe environment have largely already invested in one of the existing platforms. MSFS  cannibalizes that market. Its long term value in terms of third party developers lies not with the increased market size of the XBox crowd but its ability to run complex add-ons with acceptable performance - that’s the market that will spend the money for add-on after add-on (and has the disposable income to do so). Perhaps eventually it will, but I must confess some skepticism - the promotional videos leading up to MSFS’s release led to expectations (which were encouraged and not tempered) of a product that is quite different from the product that was actually released. By the same token, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. 

100% approved. So true!

I will add, knowing the "aversion" that Mr. Kok has towards aircraft that he considers too complicated with very controversial arguments, knowing also that he seems to be involved in the development of an SDK with the MS/Asobo team, I will not be surprised to see an SDK arriving soon that might not satisfy the teams of those (you know who they are) who have the ambition to make aircraft at the top in terms of systems.

In the meantime, my p3Dv5.1hf with PMDG, FsLabs, A2A, Majestic Q400, soon Leonardo, ORBX, GSX, CP and so, runs like a Swiss clock. Yeah! 😎

Richard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

When he/Aerosoft actually develop something respectable, I'll listen/read.  

Edited by Dreamflight767
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

7 hours ago, F737NG said:

My comment from Sunday still stands...

As a business, Aerosoft can choose any direction that they wish.
In response they should be aware that I won't be buying any more add-ons for MSFS anytime soon, preferring instead to expand my P3D collection.
A few people on this forum think likewise.

I’m with you. Take care.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

45 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

P3D paid his bills for many years at what I see as minimal SDK/PDK feature usage. 

I just responded along the same lines to some other poster over the Aerosoft forums. 

I'm getting the sensation that in a matter of 12 months we've turned from customers into a "pestilent niche" bunch. I think Mr. Kok should think thoroughly each and every reply he posts in that thread, as he may agitating a hornet's nest.

Enrique Vaamonde

I do like the fact he reacted. Although I think he simply had to respond because many user where "making noise" over there and over here. I myself wrote him an open letter because I see how most of the employees at Aerosoft, incl. Mister Kok himself, do react on questions and issues regarding Addons for P3D V5!

It where simply to many reactions to "hide", as he calls it. And even here at AVSIM many did react at him by opening threads and using content with his name in it.

Staying quiet after this, does make Aerosoft more attackable. 

But I do read between the lines. His words are very well chosen. He does try to get the corner but I think Mister Kok his own prior posts, on several threads and issues over at Aerosoft and some open statements from him regarding MSFS, where indirectly and even directly affecting the LM platform and surely its developers. Maybe they do harm him/Aerosoft also more then he likes, who knows.

@Rob_Ainscoughdid react on his post with some examples about the controversial sides of Mister Koks statements. And on top I like to add, he does not only write controversial, Mister Kok acts controversial. IF he likes P3D, why harming them by using these negative statements? And IF he is "only the publisher", why is it necessary to be so negative about P3D indirectly or even directly?

My opinion: It was not necessary at all! It is never positive to make marketing for a product by making negative marketing for another product. It is the most cheapest thing you can do.  They often is done because the lack of honest and true unique selling points OR not having enough of them to take the plunge with 100% confidence. 

There is simply not ONE SINGLE reason to be negative about a long existing product/platform after sales went down due a new product got launched! If there is, please point me at it. 

MSFS has surely his own positives compared to P3D. But also his negatives. It´s all about the view and requirements. And Aerosoft has smelled money, but based on MSFS visuals. The SDK is the evidence that MSFS is far from being comparable with P3D. It will probably never get there as long as P3D is enhancing his own SDK. MSFS SDK will grow for sure. But the speed and depth will be dependent on what? Probably on what the customers like! 

And then writing you Like P3D honestly....is honestly more than very unbelievable.

Never spit in the well you drunk.........😉 

He does like getting positive feedback. Otherwise he would never get so open and present. He is confident and proud being in lead at such a company and he writes about this.

But the last couple of months he also got some very negative attention.  

I personally think that if he would just NOT have mentioned P3D and still being focused on MSFS, would have bin better for Aerosoft. He has simply reacted to early, to fast and to opened minded at LM. This was completely unnecessary.

As he wrote himself: "We are going there where the customers are".

Exactly. Nothing wrong with that. But throwing the towel, OBVIOUSLY and open minded stated, at LM P3D was simply overdone and in fact harming all those who are using it or making money with it, also via Aerosoft as a publisher.

I honestly don´t think the recent LLBG and EDDM didn´t sell that bad. And MKStudios EHFK, AILRP, PMDG upcoming triple 777 and 777X will all be used massively within P3D. Even if they all would asked a certain update fee!

It is all about the money...is not the only count. It counts if you have the USP which your customers seek for. MSFS has some, but not on every aspect.

That´s why traffic here at AVSIM has gone up at the P3D section, and probably traffic in the Air also. 😉

Marcus 

Link open letter to Mathijs Kok (which he got also at Aerosoft and via PM)

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/589972-an-open-letter-with-my-concerns-about-aerosoft-and-apology/

Link to post GSalden at Aerosoft

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/157318-a-glass-of-wine-and-mildly-vindictive-ponderings/&do=findComment&comment=1003613

Edited by mpo910
Link reaction Gerard (GSalden) added as it also clarifies und undermines my statement. Link to my posted open letter added
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Also posted my reply 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

To me it`s like Aerosft saying if don`t use MSFS don`t bother coming to our webstore, point taken i will not in future i can buy what i want else ware.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

See how long it lasts on Aerosoft's forum.  They consider their forum an arm of their marketing department, so any negative "press" there has a tendency to vanish.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB