Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

Clouds are very pixelated and grainy - Asobo listen please

I wonder why nobody talk about it here....

The clouds after patch 6 are unacceptable, they looked very nice and on high standards from released day.., currently most of the clouds formations look very grainy and pixelated, especially when you fly through them and overal around you... and most on the fluffy one..

the quality has droped very drastically, making it impossible to enjoy the view and cut immersion of fly ....

I try like others everything, settings , change "film grain" to 0 ...etc, etc nothing can bring looked like before

I talk on ULTRA Setings only - have everything on Ultra

The problem exist and is very common...

take a look here also, includes photos...   https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cloud-textures-pixelated-and-grainy/179116

So Asobo you said on last Q&A that you dont made any changes to the clouds...... but however, something is broken and it need to be fix...

Edited by janda
  • Like 4

Yep, and the further they are the uglier they look, like the "grain" is not really changing size with distance.

I just don't get why they can't see it

Edited by bendead
  • Like 2

The linked image has grainy sky too, not just clouds.  Its as if its painted on textured canvas.

22 minutes ago, frankla said:

The linked image has grainy sky too, not just clouds.  Its as if its painted on textured canvas.

Those are clearly images taken with the camera close up to the monitor, so the individual pixels are being shown. That's why it's not just the clouds which look grainy.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I will post a picture of it tomorrow, because I tried but HDR screenshot are just wrong

But it seems not only because of the cloud alone, it seems to be a mix of light and multiple layer of cloud.

On external view, just by moving around the quality of the same cloud can change a lot

I used to see them then  changed the sharpen from 1 to 0 in UserCfg.opt  file and marked the file as "read only" so it won't change back every time the flight sim starts.

I don't see pixels anymore.

The video quality is not great though.

Edited by BijanStudio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

Thank you for that tip. 

Pardon my ignorance but where do I find the user.cfg file. My purchase was through the Microsoft Store. Not sure if that helps. 

thanks again!

5 minutes ago, nosaj_armstrong said:

Thank you for that tip. 

Pardon my ignorance but where do I find the user.cfg file. My purchase was through the Microsoft Store. Not sure if that helps. 

thanks again!

xCYQ5jq.png

• Upvote 2

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

5 hours ago, janda said:

The clouds after patch 6 are unacceptable, they looked very nice and on high standards from released day.., currently most of the clouds formations look very grainy and pixelated, especially when you fly through them and overal around you... and most on the fluffy one..

the quality has droped very drastically, making it impossible to enjoy the view and cut immersion of fly ....

I try like others everything, settings , change "film grain" to 0 ...etc, etc nothing can bring looked like before

take a look here also, includes photos...   https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cloud-textures-pixelated-and-grainy/179116

So Asobo you said on last Q&A that you dont made any changes to the clouds...... but however, something is broken and it need to be fix...

I see it too.  Release day the graphical settings were much better than they are today.  I hope I'm wrong now but I personally believe they are lowering the graphical settings for Xbox.  Many may be in denial of it but we know computers are capable of much higher settings than a console.  Something has to get dropped or tweaked unless they release separate versions of the sim (one for computers and one for xbox).

• Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

8 hours ago, janda said:

Did you miss the announcement that said the grainy clouds would not be fixed until they introduce DX12?

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I get really annoyed by the grain on the edges of the clouds. it's clearly visible and have clouds set to Ultra.

Clouds in P3D with REX looked much better...

It's sad that in 2020 an entirely new simulator DOESN'T use DX12. but instead uses the dated DX11....

Edited by Concorde79

In one of the developer Q&A videos they explained it's due to the way they calculate/sample the volumetric clouds. Sebastian (I think) said they could improve it, but that would increase the rendering time for the clouds, so it's a tradeoff. I suppose they could add an option to make this accessible to the user, at least in a config file... 

However, these pixel-scale variations get emphasised by applying a sharpen post-processing filter - which, incidentally, is activated by default in MSFS. As @BijanStudio pointed out, you should at least give it a try and disable the sharpen filter in the UserCfg.opt file. In my case this made the graininess a lot less noticeable, and I prefer the overall look of the image. But your mileage may vary.

The sharpen filter tends to pronounce edges in rendered graphics that wouldn't be there in a real photo anyway, so I always feel it makes everything look artificial and too crisp in places where it shouldn't be. 

While you're at it, disable the Fringe option in the config file too. It removes the hideous chromatic aberration you see in the hangar - the coloured edges that make everything look like you filmed it with a super cheap lens. 

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

To be honest, coming from P3D and XP11, the MSFS clouds are amazing and some pixelization is just a slight imperfection. The convective ones perhaps grow and dissolve a little bit too fast, but a giant technology and realism leap has been made here. Only respect to the developers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2