Sign in to follow this  
badgenes

Carenado PA 44 - Cold and Dark Failure to Start Engine

Not sure if I'm turning on the main too soon (reading checklist for the first time while trying this out) but as soon as I hit the starter for the left engine electrical power dies and I'm dead in the water.  Anyone know why this is happening?  Did I wait too long to start with just the lights powered or is there something else I am missing.  The included docs have only the real a/c/ checklist and I don't see anything specific to MSFS in them (yet).

No problem here starting C&D in the PA44 - I didn't sit for any time with the lights powered on though so no drain on the battery before engine start. 

OK thanks I would gather it isn't bugged then.  I'll have to try again without the delay reading the checklist, should've done that ahead of time.  Reminded me of when you would kill the battery in FS2000 (I think it was that version) and then you were screwed because that dead battery would affect all of your aircraft.  Or maybe that was Fly!...hell I don't know but which one now 😕

2 hours ago, badgenes said:

Not sure if I'm turning on the main too soon (reading checklist for the first time while trying this out) but as soon as I hit the starter for the left engine electrical power dies and I'm dead in the water.  Anyone know why this is happening?  Did I wait too long to start with just the lights powered or is there something else I am missing.  The included docs have only the real a/c/ checklist and I don't see anything specific to MSFS in them (yet).

Most basic thing is do you have the fuel switches on?

Yes.  I got to the point in the checklist to start one engine and watched the lights die.  Could not get electrical power after that so it appeared to be a dead battery but I haven't seen this in MSFS 2020 before.  TBH i don't usually C&D GA aircraft so perhaps the others do this as well in MSFS 2020.  No APU to lean on lol

To the OP, you may have your own, but here is the check list for the plane that I have been using, and it starts reliably every time with it.

http://www.niceairaviation.com/Documents/PA44Checklist_2013.pdf

I hope that helps.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Thanks for the checklist its a bit more consolidated than the Carenado.  However same steps.  I'm going to try again now since it very well may have been a dead battery due to me screwing around.  

Mags on, yessir.  I'll post back in a few once I've got it running.

flya150 as a matter of fact yes I am.  I did get it running though this time.  I took less than 30 seconds from battery on to left engine running so I think fsuipc7 must be a factor, perhaps some battery life bug?

I had a similar problem this afternoon. It responded like the battery went dead. It came back on after I exited and restarted another flight.

I've been having a similar experience. If I have FSUIPC running, I can't get the engines started. But, if I start the plane without FSUIPC running, I can get both engines running, and then I can start FSUIPC.

I use fsupic as well. I don’t have problem starting PA44 cold and dark . I set fuel selector on, cowl flaps open, master on, mags on, mixture rich, rpm full, fuel pump on. Then crank throttle 1/3 and engage starter 

Edited by sd_flyer

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Given the mixed experience but common factor of FSUIPC7 I think its safe to say there might be a connection.  Submitted to Carenado but as I don't own FSUIPC7 and only use free version perhaps one of their customer's could submit a ticket?

sd_flyer: How are you leaning mixture in PA44 without EGT to go by?  I'm adjusting and watching GS in small increments which while effective is laborious and prone to error.