Sign in to follow this  
asgnp

Benchmark results, 5950X vs 8700K

7 hours ago, vincentrouleau said:

From your numbers, we can conclude that smt on Rysen does impact framerate. So now i would like to compare a 8700k 12thread versus a 5900x 12 core or 5950x 16 core. I know i can saturate my 8700k with textures to high res and max lod. My question is, can you reach 100% cpu utilisation on your 5950x with smt off ? With smt on(32 threads)?

No. Didn’t get anywhere close to being saturated.

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the report, I'm also evaluating to switch from 8700K to a Ryzen 5950X. Due to my experience in the past I'm really hesitating with the combinatin Flighsim and AMD, but the reports about the 5950X seem really promising.

Are you running the 5950X at it's default clockspeeds or did you overclock it to constantly deliver the boost clock of 4,9 GHz?

Edited by skylane182

best regards, Mathias

On 11/28/2020 at 5:01 AM, 331BK said:

thank you, my 5950x is already here. I'm waiting for the CPU cooler then I can also give feedback but with the 6800xt as graphics card.

Hi. Did you end up getting your CPU and graphics card?

I’m looking into the same combo and am curious how this improves the P3D experience in v5?

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

13 hours ago, skylane182 said:

Due to my experience in the past I'm really hesitating with the combinatin Flighsim and AMD

My exact concern.  Running a 7700K now @ 4.8.  Was set on a 10900K previously until I couldn’t get one, and now Ryzen 5000 is here.  I’m not really sold on what Rocket Lake will bring, so not sure I want to wait another ~3 months to see another 8C/16T, 14 nm rehash.  But my last AMD CPU experience (and GPU for that matter) was a total train wreck and not even really usable for simming.

3080 in hand, now just need to decide on a CPU.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Morning all,

Specs:

5950X at 4.8/4.7 (CCX1/2), 32GB RAM @ 3733mhz CL15, 1866 fclk, 1TB nvme, and a overpriced RTX 3090.

I just swapped from intel 10900k to AMD 5950X as I wanted to see if the extra cores would help. Turning off SMT (Hyperthreading) I can manage 4.8 on CCX 1, and 4.7 on the other. To be honest FPS wise possibly a little better, but it’s hard to quantify, however the smoothness is (objectively I get less stutters) way up. 

Heat is the biggest issue to control IMHO, voltages of 1.3v and up it gets difficult to sustain long all core loads - Benchmarking etc. I use the Artic Freezer 420 AIO for ref, this just about keeps it in check. (Note: AMD chips have a lower TJ max before they start throttling- 90c I think)

Going from 4-6 core chips you should net some nice gains, but, you need to OC the ryzen chip to get the sustained clocks that are required. (I want to explore AMDs PBO though)

It took me a while to understand the platform because  I’ve always had Intel, that aside, I don’t regret swapping. 

Edited by jay281
Typos
  • Like 2

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

#metoo 

moved from a 9990XE and radeon vii to 5950x and a 6900 xt

the difference is massive for me and I only use stock with pbo enabled.

for me it was worth the money especialy because I planed to only purchase a 3090 and now for the same money I recieved a whole new system.

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

For those running both an AMD CPU (5X00 and up) and GPU (6X00 and up), don't forget to turn on Smart Access Memory -- see https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory. A free minor boost in performance without overclocking. And, yes I know Intel is working on their version of this.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I have to test it again but I think  p3d doesn't like SAM.

when I enabled it, p3dv5 didn't start, with the message there is not enough ram available.

but I have to check if it really was SAM.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

5 minutes ago, 331BK said:

I have to test it again but I think  p3d doesn't like SAM.

when I enabled it, p3dv5 didn't start, with the message there is not enough ram available.

but I have to check if it really was SAM.

Could you test again? If this doesn’t work I might have to review my shopping list. Thanks!

tested it again. 

Sorry wrong information from my side. Seems it was something different. 

I had the issue shortly after I installed my new system with fresh win10 and as my system has 32GB of RAM and 16 GB VRAM i was pretty sure it`s not possible to have not enough memory. 

The only thing that helped was a total reinstall from p3d v5.1 

But i tested it now 2 times ( with restart in between) at EGLL with Orbx TE GB and FSL A321. 

No issues and a I have crazy 27 - 32 FPS with AIG Traffic, and very high settings in P3D so I'm a happy camper.

With my old system I could only reach 13 FPS in the same situation. And that was a 14 Core beast which also was able to push 5 ghz boost speed. 

sfo_a320.png

3 hours ago, 331BK said:

tested it again. 

Sorry wrong information from my side. Seems it was something different. 

I had the issue shortly after I installed my new system with fresh win10 and as my system has 32GB of RAM and 16 GB VRAM i was pretty sure it`s not possible to have not enough memory. 

The only thing that helped was a total reinstall from p3d v5.1 

But i tested it now 2 times ( with restart in between) at EGLL with Orbx TE GB and FSL A321. 

No issues and a I have crazy 27 - 32 FPS with AIG Traffic, and very high settings in P3D so I'm a happy camper.

With my old system I could only reach 13 FPS in the same situation. And that was a 14 Core beast which also was able to push 5 ghz boost speed. 

This sounds very encouraging. Thanks a lot for that update.

Results for some of the mainstream games seem to indicate anything from no improvement to 10% improvement are on the cards, so it depends a lot on the application. I use P3D exclusively except for checking on MSFS once a month (still a hot mess in my opinion), so curious if SAM makes a difference in P3D and if so, how much?

good question i have to test this out. 

as i´m still playing arround with PBO and Dynamic OC currently .

sfo_a320.png

Looks like P3d 5.2 changed multhithreading behaviours. @asgnp, would you mind doing your test (with/without OMT) again if you have installed 5.2. i would like to see the changes on your system. I know that it will be a year still until am can grad a new GPU, but since The VRAM issue as been mitigated now, i am less in need to upgrade to a 16gig vram card. Aslo, still a year until MSFS becomes my main platform. So now, wondering if it is worth going 8700k-> 5900x.

Regards

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

i think it has to be said Nvidia/intel fan boys ( me very much included) AMD have being doing great things the last couple of years !

Edited by sonny147

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !