Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Exactly what is MSFS doing better than its predecessors?

First, this isn't meant to be a rant or an "i'm heading back to P3D" post but i was just wondering...

Going through all of these "Issue/Problems" posts in the forum(s) i honestly ask myself what, and i am leaving aaaaall that eyecandy which is pretty much obviously the biggest improvement, aside.

Ok the UI got modernised...the marketplace...but whats up with the rest?

With every update we get more eyecandy (world updates) sometimes less (night lighting) and personally i have a feeling that the Devs are eagerly overcompensating every issue we have/had with the flight models etc. Whole groups of clouds are missing and so on so on...

I am really ok with the state the sim is right now. Some bugs are annoying, some are not. But month after release i am still waiting for the "Simulator" i have paid 120 bucks for.

So what do you guys think is the biggest improvement over FSX/P3d EXCEPT the graphics?

Best

Edited by ThomseN_inc
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

4 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

First, this isn't meant to be a rant or an "i'm heading back to P3D" post but i was just wondering...

Going through all of these "Issue/Problems" posts in the forum(s) i honestly ask myself what, and i am leaving aaaaall that eyecandy which is pretty much obviously the biggest improvement, aside.

Ok the UI got modernised...the marketplace...but whats up with the rest?

With every update we get more eyecandy (world updates) sometimes less (night lighting) and personally i have a feeling that the Devs are eagerly overcompensating every issue we have/had with the flight models etc. Whole groups of clouds are missing and so on so on...

I am really ok with the state the sim is right now. Some bugs are annoying, some are not. But month after release i am still waiting for the "Simulator" i have paid 120 bucks for.

So what do you guys think is the biggest improvement over FSX/P3d EXCEPT the graphics?

Best

Sigh... Is that really needed...

PS: you seem to have left out the best of the "legacy" sims... XP11

• Like 4

Convinced me to buy a copy while the community tried to convince me it would never work on my system. MS also mastered bringing out the rudest behavior in entitled sim snobs that fly mostly by advanced button pressing in 95% of their flight time. I very much like the free scenery created by Google photogrammetry conversions. People should lighten up and stop being so rude to the developers. They'll get the flight models and A/P sorted out in due time.

• Like 20
  • Upvote 1

Well, ignoring all the improvements that are primarily visual (including scenery, lighting, weather that varies realistically over distance, etc.), even if they do affect flight (VFR navigation etc.), I would say the main thing MSFS has given us is a bright future for the hobby.  The combination of the development resources that MS/Asobo has, together with a much larger market for addons, can only be a good thing for the community.  Just look at how many addons (FW and payware) have been made in the space of a few months.  Also, we have a developer who is very engaged and communicative - in-depth Q&A sessions where they are open and honest, frequent updates, etc.  We never saw that with P3D.

If it were the case that MS/Asobo had no interest in developing a realistic simulator then I would have mixed feelings, but I've heard nothing to suggest that is the case.  Most of the issues so far - and there have indeed been quite a few! - seem to stem from inadequate testing, which is something they have said several times they are working to address.  With a beta process for each patch, there is no way they would have missed the AP slow turn rate bug in the latest release, for example.  In the latest Q&A, they said they expect to have a beta process up and running in Q1/Q2 2021 - while that may seem quite a long time, I imagine it takes some thought to put together an efficient process when you're releasing every month and the set of potential testers/cases is so broad (given the huge variety of addons etc.)

• Like 3

Well currently almost everything is better except for the airliners.

Fly by wire are currently writing their own autopilot and fbw system for the A320. The soon to be released Aerosoft CRJ 700 will also have it's own autopilot completely independent from the simulator. So I think MSFS will also win on that side in a couple of months.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Sigh... Is that really needed...

PS: you seem to have left out the best of the "legacy" sims... XP11

It seems like there are people actually have an opinion on what i asked. So if you are not interested why do you even bother to comment?

• Upvote 6

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

i never got better immersive bushflying, glad i dont use the airliners, these seem pretty badly done.

but again and again its being said, ppl are way way too hasty with their conclusions here.

its going to be quite a wait for some ppl, before they can enjoy this.

me , i love it right now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cepact said:

Well currently almost everything is better except for the airliners.

WHAT???? 

Flight dynamics?  Weather?  Accuracy of ATIS/AWOS? ATC? Avionics (GPS, autopilots, nav data)?  Some miserable airports?  All I fly is GA, no airliners.  I 100% disagree.

Here is my home airport.  MSFS on the left.  FSX-SE on the right.

image.png.6db51122ff0fe6f6b6a97f52c8b222c1.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

OP, Please checkout all the pics I post each week in the screenshot forum and it will give you a clue as to why I gravitate toward MSFS and have abandoned the rest.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

and i am leaving aaaaall that eyecandy which is pretty much obviously the biggest improvement, aside.

You really can't do that because that IS the base that everything is built upon. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

5 minutes ago, RobJC said:

You really can't do that because that IS the base that everything is built upon. 

But I do because we all know how good MSFS looks. No need to discuss the visual quality here.

8 minutes ago, DJJose said:

OP, Please checkout all the pics I post each week in the screenshot forum and it will give you a clue as to why I gravitate toward MSFS and have abandoned the rest.

Again... I was not talking graphics here. MSFS looks awesome.

• Like 1

More variety with default planes, more interesting flight dynamics while in the air (though I'd point out that both taking off and landing are problematic in MSFS).
Better default sounds (especially for GA planes).

The list is unfortunately far greater of what is missing in MSFS once you remove graphics, but it's still a work in progress so I am hopeful.

Now I'm not a real pilot but I've been in a couple smallish planes, and if the controls were as twitchy in the small planes as they are in this sim, there would be a LOT more crashes in real world aviation. The planes float too much, and there appear to be some real throttling issues where certain planes coast far too long without losing enough speed (even with full flaps and gear down). The planes are also underpowered in MSFS, but once you get coasting sometimes they hold speed too long. I've coasted across an 8000+ ft runway with throttle fully cut and only lost 5 knots and I had a crosswind, problematic. So for those claiming they are real pilots and this is the closest thing to real we have so far, maybe in the air, but definitely not on the landing, landings are odd.

Maybe I am wrong and it's my setup, but then overall I seriously doubt it and I think some people are not thinking rationally they are just enjoying the great views (that is fine).

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

26 minutes ago, cepact said:

Well currently almost everything is better

except having actual updated AIRac that matches approach plates, other sims have had this for 10+ years.

Again how is this not a top priority for a fix on a next gen sim like this I'll never understand.

Izj6VUi.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

leaving aaaaall that eyecandy which is pretty much obviously the biggest improvement, aside.

Calling an accurate depiction of the entire worlds surface beautifully rendered "eye candy" is the the reaction of an anti-MSFS-ite 🙂.

Edited by desbean
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1