Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Changing from Game Pass to Purchased version Question

Hi Guys,

I currently have MSFS 2020 through a Game Pass subscription but now want to purchase the Deluxe version as you get a discount. I am wondering if I have to completely uninstall my current version then re install the purchased version from the Microsoft store?

Wondering if anyone has switched to the purchased version from the Game Pass version and how they did it?

Edited by Richdem

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Hi Richard,

For me, it went very smoothly. I simply cancelled my subscription and purchased the game in the store (with the Game Pass discount). I don't think I did anything else, there's definitely no need to uninstall/reinstall the sim. I was a bit apprehensive about the whole process myself, but in the end, I didn't even notice when my Game Pass actually expired. FS just kept launching normally.

Regards,

Tym

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tymk said:

Hi Richard,

For me, it went very smoothly. I simply cancelled my subscription and purchased the game in the store (with the Game Pass discount). I don't think I did anything else, there's definitely no need to uninstall/reinstall the sim. I was a bit apprehensive about the whole process myself, but in the end, I didn't even notice when my Game Pass actually expired. FS just kept launching normally.

Regards,

Tym

That's awesome to hear Tym,

Appreciate you replying. I will buy now

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Same back in September: cancelled the game pass subscription, purchased the standard edition from the MS store and it just worked.

No need to do anything else.

You might have to check the content manager after your purchase to get the premium/deluxe content, I guess...

• Like 2

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

7 minutes ago, Marco Manieri said:

Same back in September: cancelled the game pass subscription, purchased the standard edition from the MS store and it just worked.

No need to do anything else.

You might have to check the content manager after your purchase to get the premium/deluxe content, I guess...

I am just on a flight in my trusty old FF A320 lol and I will check once I am done. The payment went through and it shows in my order history. If all is good I will then cancel my subscription

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Ok so I’m happy to report that as soon as I launched MSFS after purchasing all the new content was available to download and it showed I now had the deluxe version. I’ll cancel my game pass subscription now. 

Thanks to all 

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

just a cautionary note.  This ONLY happens if you purchase the standard edition from the Microsoft Store with the same user ID that you log into Game Pass with.

Otherwise, MS can't track your purchases.  So if you decide to purchase the Steam version, you'll lose whatever purchases you made using Marketplace, or if you purchase from MS store with a different user.

So if you had made Marketplace purchases using the Game Pass edition, make sure you purchase the standard edition from the MS Store using the same user account, so your purchases will remain intact.

Edited by wthomas33065

I'm finally about to do this, after having 3 months free Game Pass, followed by 1 discounted month before the price rise kicked in.

So I'll be cancelling Game Pass tonight and using a code purchased through Amazon (not a Marketplace seller) to get Premium Deluxe.

Just to be absolutely clear,  does it matter which order I do it? Cancel Game Pass, then use my code in Microsoft Store, or enter code before cancelling Game Pass?

I'm just paranoid about losing my progress (I know it's saved in the cloud under my MS account). 🤥

Edited by 109Sqn

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

As far as I remember, I purchased the game first (using the discount), then cancelled the subscription. A cancelled subscription remains active until expiration (that is for one month since the last payment), but I suppose the safest option in any case is to buy before cancelling.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tymk said:

As far as I remember, I purchased the game first (using the discount), then cancelled the subscription. A cancelled subscription remains active until expiration (that is for one month since the last payment), but I suppose the safest option in any case is to buy before cancelling.

Thanks for that. So it's enter the code in MS Store, cancel subscription and keep my fingers crossed.🤞

Today's the cancellation deadline for me (i.e. 2 days before the next payment's due).

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Thanks for that. So it's enter the code in MS Store, cancel subscription and keep my fingers crossed.🤞

Today's the cancellation deadline for me (i.e. 2 days before the next payment's due).

I purchased the discounted version , first I went into the content manager to make sure the premium deluxe version was recognized then downloaded the new content and then cancelled my subscription 24 hours later. 

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

6 hours ago, Richdem said:

I purchased the discounted version , first I went into the content manager to make sure the premium deluxe version was recognized then downloaded the new content and then cancelled my subscription 24 hours later. 

I am getting ready to do the same in a few weeks. So you bought the Premium Deluxe for $95.99 USD, and downloaded verified that it worked and after a few days cancelled Game Pass, and it worked? I thought people in the past had issues with this? Just verifying as I want to do the same and save some money if I can 🙂 If not I'll just have to pay FULL price! Game Pass was fine for a few month's at $4.99, but not worth it for me at $9.99! I don't play any other games on there, just MSFS.

And I paid for Game Pass for a few months to make sure it worked fine on my system. It does, and now ready to buy it.

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

1 hour ago, in2tech said:

I am getting ready to do the same in a few weeks. So you bought the Premium Deluxe for $95.99 USD, and downloaded verified that it worked and after a few days cancelled Game Pass, and it worked? I thought people in the past had issues with this? Just verifying as I want to do the same and save some money if I can 🙂 If not I'll just have to pay FULL price! Game Pass was fine for a few month's at $4.99, but not worth it for me at $9.99! I don't play any other games on there, just MSFS.

And I paid for Game Pass for a few months to make sure it worked fine on my system. It does, and now ready to buy it.

People had problems as they bought the upgrade  through the market place in the game its self and that requires you to have game pass or the base game, your buying a brand new key 

6 hours ago, in2tech said:

I went to the Microsoft store and purchased the Premium Deluxe version for $127.99 CDN + taxes. As soon as the purchase went through I started the Sim and went into content manager. I could now see all the premium deluxe content, I downloaded all the aircraft then made a test. All was good, the next day I cancelled my Game Pass subscription immediately(choosing the option not to keep it running until the renewal date) and again checked the sim started and it did without any issues.

The funny thing is I had Game Pass Ultimate originally for $1 then I switched to the regular Game Pass for $1 and the discounted purchase price was actually cheaper having the standard Game Pass. Before I did all this I also did an online chat with Microsoft and asked them if there would be any issues and they told me no. I did a screen shot of the conversation just in case lol

• Like 2

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

I can now confirm that the method above worked for me just fine. I have been steadily installing the extra airports one by one after having a quick look around each default version first, to see how they compare.

So, the way to move from the Game Pass version to a non-Game Pass version is as follows:

1) Buy the version you want (Basic, Deluxe, Premium Deluxe), outside of Game Pass (i.e. in MS Store or by purchasing a code from a retailer such as Amazon).

2) Enter the code in MS Store.

3) Cancel your Game Pass subscription from your Profile page, which will take you to a browser page to complete that action.

4) Once your subscription has ended, you will be able to start the sim from the Xbox app as you did before

Mods: Could we add this to Tips and Tricks please?