Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

PMDG Queen of the Skies: v5.1? Who Knows?

After perusing PMDG's website, I considered buying subject product. But does everything that works in v5.0 still work the same in v5.1? Is this product good to go for v5.1 with the hotfix? Is it asking too much for devs to specify what versions it will work with, like maybe say... "v5.0 inc. 5.1, also 5.1 with hotfix." Does no one remember 5.0 products that had to have a patch for 5.1? I am assuming that PMDG is promising that it will work with all versions of 5.0, and I don't have to be concerned about the no refund policy. Right? But what about the "v4.4+" language? So, this works in everything from v3.4 on up to 5.1?

Confusing.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-27 120723.jpg

Edited by Tim_Capps

This was the latest from PMDG as of last Friday.

Prepar3D Got Updated: Here is what you need to know
The fine folks at Lockheed Martin have finally dropped Prepar3D v5.1 and many of you have already updated. We have been testing our products internally using the various beta versions of 5.1 and at this juncture we don't see any reason to issue compatibility updates urgently. There are a few things we will tweak on each product line, mostly texture/reflection related, but first we want to be certain that the changes we are addressing are intentional on the part of LM and not accidental items that will then be reversed or corrected in a subsequent update, thus obviating any changes we make to tweak these items.

Stay tuned for news on that, as always...

NAX669.png

This is my point. I don't even know where that's from. I just saw the product page and the details. "at this juncture we don't see any reason to issue compatibility updates urgently. There are a few things we will tweak..." So, I guess if you read their blog or whatever, you learn that yeah, it will work... expect some issues we don't consider important enough to address urgently, but probably will at some point, so "stay tuned for new on that."

Does no one recall having to wait for a patch for Leonardo's Fly the Maddog for 5.1, or is that another one of my confabulations? I don't think representing a product as "P3D 5" is quite good enough these days. Or am I just wrong to think about this before I pay $139 to discover issues that I may think are worth addressing "urgently," even if PMDG doesn't?

I realize LM throws curveballs at devs. All I'm saying is that they should be scrupulously accurate in their product descriptions.

• Upvote 1

This is the fine print from the 737 base back. A literal reading of this assures me that it has been tested with "v5 and subsequent hotfixes." Since "compatibility information" has not been updated, it is certain that the 737, at least, is perfect in 5.1, right? I would probably snap this up if I were confident of that.

image.png.df0cf639aba7ccab591aba4984349d90.png

45 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

This is my point. I don't even know where that's from.

This came directly from PMDG's forum announcement by Robert Randazzo. This is where you want to get any official information concerning PMDG. https://forum.pmdg.com/

NAX669.png

Thanks Michael. I did hunt that down. It made for interesting reading. There's quite a bit of interesting reading these days :-) After I finish setting up Windows and installing the latest P3D, I might take a good look at their 737. I'm assuming it doesn't have issues.

10 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

Thanks Michael. I did hunt that down. It made for interesting reading. There's quite a bit of interesting reading these days 🙂 After I finish setting up Windows and installing the latest P3D, I might take a good look at their 737. I'm assuming it doesn't have issues.

I haven't done a full flight since I installed the hot fix but just playing around it seemed like there were no real issues.

NAX669.png

Just finished a nice short hop, YSSYYMML. 5.1 HF1 and PMDG 737 NGUx both performed splendidly and to spec. 

BTW the first thing I noticed about 5.1 HF 1 is when you switch views there is no “lag”. Screens appear instantly and without painting. 

YMMV

-Braun

FSL has to release 'updates' to work with P3D hotfixes because they version lock the installers. FYI

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

None of the lateral navigation issues I've seen discussed over there? I would really like to have a 737-600.

23 hours ago, mwilk said:

This was the latest from PMDG as of last Friday.

Prepar3D Got Updated: Here is what you need to know
The fine folks at Lockheed Martin have finally dropped Prepar3D v5.1 and many of you have already updated. We have been testing our products internally using the various beta versions of 5.1 and at this juncture we don't see any reason to issue compatibility updates urgently. There are a few things we will tweak on each product line, mostly texture/reflection related, but first we want to be certain that the changes we are addressing are intentional on the part of LM and not accidental items that will then be reversed or corrected in a subsequent update, thus obviating any changes we make to tweak these items.

Stay tuned for news on that, as always...

How does "dropping" something equate to " releasing"? To me to drop it means abandoning it.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

10 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

me to drop it means abandoning it.

I found the context of the statement easy to understand.

David Porrett

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

How does "dropping" something equate to " releasing"? To me to drop it means abandoning it.

You're correct in that context. "Dropping" has also taken on another meaning in the States. It can also mean releasing something like a new CD or software. I can understand how that could be confusing.

NAX669.png

9 hours ago, DavidP said:

I found the context of the statement easy to understand.

David,

I was really just stirring😃.

I have seen this use from the USA before, so yes, on a second reading I understood but it still doesn't make sense to my English mind.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.