Sign in to follow this  
Alexander1976SV

Low fps at airports

After the sixth update, the fps at all airports does not rise above 20. On any plane at any airport.After taking off and climbing to 50-100 feet, the fps stabilizes at normal 30-35.Changed the graphics settings.Completely turned off traffic.It's useless.Help me solve this problem.

Very strange phenomenon. I am not sure it's the airports, I observed that this can happen everywhere the aircraft nears the ground but only if more than a few trees are around. Only setting that sometimes helps is setting trees to low. Which is quite strange and most likely a bug. I have no clue if this happens to many players.

It can be observed with drone view most easily: if i have 40 fps at around 1000 feet and go down, it gradually changes to maybe only 15 fps at 100 feet. Going further down I observe over 30 fps when the drone reaches the ground.

I’ve had this behavior for a while. A few feet AGL and all is smooth. Doing anything on the ground, taxiing, etc., and the smoothness just isn’t there. Not totally horrible, just not the same smoothness in air. If/when they ever release the performance adjustments, I’d really like to see improvement on the ground as well as everywhere else. 

I didn't dare to ask as I didn't take exact notes of previous fps. But I can confirm that my fps are not higher than 20 fps at airports now, and as far as I recall it was higher once (before the latest patch?).

I'll try to find screenshots including fps figures which I made before and can reproduce the same situation to back or reject this assumption.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm having the same issue with low FPS regardless of of my settings in MSFS.  I have cycled from ULTRA through LOW and seldom see anything more than 30, and usually around 18 to 20.  I have an i9900K, 32 GB RAM, and a RTX 2060 card.  I appreciate that my card might bottleneck me, but I didn't think it would hit me that bad.   

Further, my graphics in MSFS just....suck!  I don't see the pretty pictures & videos that everyone posts on line. or that are on that are on the MSFS website.  My clouds are heavily pixilated, I can literally see the moisture dots in the clouds.   By the way, the clouds look like marshmallows rather than wispy cotton balls.  Trees?  They have the image quality of Google Earth in 3D mode.  

Between low frame rates, bad trees & graphics, pixilated moisture surrounding clouds that look like boulders, and airplanes that leave a bit to be desired, I'm rather disappointed in MSFS.  

Any ideas on how to improve the graphics without busting frame rates? 

Thanks,

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS  

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I made a search through all my screenshots but none shows fps on an airport. Newer ones are taking while I use the Steam fps counter which isn't recorded on the shots. A few older ones have the gamebar fps counter active but these are only in the air.

Interesting to read what others report. BTW, I don't recall similar reports on the official forum so far (or I missed them).

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Every sim has the highest load at the airport. Optimizing the settings while taxiing at LAX with 30FPS should result in a smooth sim experience everywhere. However these topics of irrationally low performance at specific stages of flight seem to suggest that some users have additional issues. Just like „pixelated clouds“ which I personally have never experienced.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

2 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Every sim has the highest load at the airport. Optimizing the settings while taxiing at LAX with 30FPS should result in a smooth sim experience everywhere. However these topics of irrationally low performance at specific stages of flight seem to suggest that some users have additional issues. Just like „pixelated clouds“ which I personally have never experienced.

The pixelated clouds are a known issue that are on the bug list #22 not some 'anomaly'

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

51 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

The pixelated clouds are a known issue that are on the bug list #22 not some 'anomaly'

i also have never seen those.

the main problem is our pc's are different, and this xplains the huge differences in experiences.

seems to me the ppl with the best machines complain the loudest, interesting,,and i find that kinda funny.

i have to say i laff a lot about some posts here.

its way way waa too early to make a thorough conclusion about this sim.

i do enjoy it a lot  tho.

Edited by wim123

44 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

MSFS seems to be pretty inconsistent regarding some bugs that seem to need very special circumstances to occur.

At larger Airports I have of course lower fps while in-flight, but it wasn't that bad until update 6. Now I have extremely low fps everywhere near the ground, airport or not. The one setting that seems to influence this is Trees, strangely. If I have, say, 60 fps high up near Atlanta (with skyline in sight) on Low settings, I go down to maybe 100 or 200 feet AGL and fps drop significantly everywhere near trees, maybe to 40. Then I crank only Trees up to Ultra and have only 20 fps or so. GPU usage is 99 %, CPU much lower, RAM not full at all (I have 32GB). My system is strong enough to handle 35 fps even in Rio, Tokio or Manhattan in 4K in mostly Ultra settings (Render Scaling at 80, so my 2080 super can handle this). But as I said: the strange fps drop near ground happens even with Low settings. I tried several Gefore drivers but saw no difference.

Strange thing is that I have almost no micro stutters and everything runs very smooth usually. So I love flying around with the Savage Carbon, X Cub or the A320 very much - sadly I have to set Trees to low on most approaches. 🙂

Other anomalies like pixelated clouds I see once in a while. Random Lightning I NEVER had, while lots of other people complained. As I said: some bugs seem to need very special circumstances to occur.

54 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

...and the graininess can be reduced to a much less distracting level by disabling sharpening in the userconfig.opt file.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Every sim has the highest load at the airport. Optimizing the settings while taxiing at LAX with 30FPS should result in a smooth sim experience everywhere. 

This was not the question of the OP and is common knowledge. The question was if the latest update did or did not impair performance on airports while on ground.

I recall having seen higher fps at KSFO which is my default test bed, but as always, I can be wrong or have installed some poisoned addon in the mean time. I also haven't seen the usual outcry at the official forum yet, so for me it's simply an open question. I for one would acknowledge some quantitative proof for or against the claim.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

42 minutes ago, pmb said:

I also haven't seen the usual outcry at the official forum yet,

It certainly is. Several posts about bad performance and stuttering all over the place, not only airports (maybe the reports tend to be a bit "general" and not specific to airports.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

4 hours ago, pstrub said:

...and the graininess can be reduced to a much less distracting level by disabling sharpening in the userconfig.opt file.

Subjective found it was fairly minimal albeit clouds set to High (not Ultra) if that matters...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

It certainly is. Several posts about bad performance and stuttering all over the place, not only airports (maybe the reports tend to be a bit "general" and not specific to airports.

Cheers, Ed

Yep, I've seen it, but this was not specific to airports as the OP says. Still, it may have a common cause. While some others state better performance.

Something seems to have definitely changed. I have always (as far as I can tell) been GPU limited while I am Main Thread limited now. While the main thread limitation should heve been improved. Strange.

Kind regards, Michael