Sign in to follow this  
767lover

monitor choice, please help

I am looking for a new 32inch 4k HDR monitor for future compatibility as my current PC hardware does not support 4k rendering yet. I like it to be an IPS monitor due to better colors and viewing angles.

Can someone recommend me a good monitor. I found this monitor to be the most affordable with the required specs and would not go over this price wise.

https://www.amazon.de/LG-FreeSync-Ergonomischer-verstell-schwenkbar/dp/B088BMZ41V/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=lg+4k+ips+32&qid=1606556093&s=ce-de&sr=1-2

How is HDR rendered in flightsim, what graphics card is needed for it, thanks!

8 minutes ago, 767lover said:

With my HDR 400 monitor the game is washed out if I enable it in game.  

The best results for me are HDR turned ON in the windows screen settings but turned OFF in game. For me that looks better than both settings ON or both settings OFF>

I suspect this is because my screen is only HDR400 but the game is optimised for HDR10 .  A HDR10 monitor will probably work better in game.

NOTE that Win10 support of HDR in general is pretty bad.  Apps like chrome often flicker, video recordings are washed out and a lot of weird stuff happens at random. I tend to turn HDR on when I want to play a HDR game or watch a HDR movie or HDR YouTube clip and then turn it off again. Note that Netflix does not allow HDR streaming in its windows app.

The other issues is some monitors do not support both Gsync/freesync and HDR at the same time, something to watch for.

By the way HDR is pretty amazing in games and apps that support it, it is just frustrating to use with the poor Win10 support.

1.Forget hdr. In general hdr for gaming monitors always suck. Hdr400 is useless anyway. 600 should be minimim but anyway the picture will become so dark that you will turn it off.

2. do you really need 4K? It costs a lot of performance.

3.do you own an amd or nvidia cars?  
4. curved or not curved

i bought 1month ago the new asus pg329q. 32 uncurved 1ms fastIps gsync 2k monitor. It’s a beast

https://m.alternate.de/ASUS/ROG-Swift-PG329Q-Gaming-Monitor/html/product/1679595

if you like extreme curved the Samsung Odyssey g series is the benchmark. But the extreme curve rate of 1000 is a nogo for me.

Lukas Dalton

Opt for a widescreen monitor, it's perfect for flight sim.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

You should also watch for a G-Sync Monitor

if you use mostly flightsim or games at all

and i mean not only compatible because this

isn't working the right way.

Should be one with G-Sync Hardware in it

but this kind of Monitors aren't cheep..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, pmplayer said:

You should also watch for a G-Sync Monitor

if you use mostly flightsim or games at all

and i mean not only compatible because this

isn't working the right way.

Should be one with G-Sync Hardware in it

but this kind of Monitors aren't cheep..

cheers 😉

Gsync compatible is fine as long it’s listed on the Nvidia Homepage under compatible monitors

Lukas Dalton

LG ultra gear. I can’t recommend it enough. Has g-sync. HDR (albeit only HDR400, but it works well). More vertical space. 3840x1600. 38 inches. Super fast response times. No flickering. Really good monitor. 

• Like 1

Also be aware that the monitor linked in the first post is 60 Hz. For flight simming you might not need more, but higher Hz a good thing to have if you play other games.

With regards to G-Sync or Freesync, I would recommend a G-Sync compatible (Freesync Premium or similar) monitor. Because you can't use an AMD GPU with G-Sync monitors, but you can use both types with the newer Freesync monitors.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 hour ago, Republic3D said:

Also be aware that the monitor linked in the first post is 60 Hz. For flight simming you might not need more, but higher Hz a good thing to have if you play other games.

With regards to G-Sync or Freesync, I would recommend a G-Sync compatible (Freesync Premium or similar) monitor. Because you can't use an AMD GPU with G-Sync monitors, but you can use both types with the newer Freesync monitors.

Only when listed on Nvidia Homepage. Not all freesync monitors are compatible with Nvidia cards 

Lukas Dalton

I just ordered a 34 inch LG ultra gear curved 1440 monitor. It met all my specifications. Wide screen, fast response time, ips, good reviews,  bright. Only negative is that IPS monitors have lower contrast. Seemed like the right size to me.  Sort of the same size as 2 24 inch monitors but higher res. Getting it Tuesday. Slightly expensive also. 

2 hours ago, DaWu said:

Only when listed on Nvidia Homepage. Not all freesync monitors are compatible with Nvidia cards 

My freesync monitor isn't listed but works just fine with gsync.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I've got an LG OLED 48" 4k, 120 Hz (not that it's useful anyway) and it is really nice.With an i7 6700k and the 2070 Super I can run MSFS in 4k with the options mostly high except the fancy stuff (blur, camera correction, etc.) and have yet to experience a scenario where the thing wouldn't be flyable (around 30 FPS).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 767lover said:

I am looking for a new 32inch 4k HDR monitor for future compatibility as my current PC hardware does not support 4k rendering yet. I like it to be an IPS monitor due to better colors and viewing angles.

Can someone recommend me a good monitor. I found this monitor to be the most affordable with the required specs and would not go over this price wise.

https://www.amazon.de/LG-FreeSync-Ergonomischer-verstell-schwenkbar/dp/B088BMZ41V/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=lg+4k+ips+32&qid=1606556093&s=ce-de&sr=1-2

Try the monitor forum - lots of good info 🙂

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I went ultrawide (I think 36") curved monitor with 1440p. In my opinion, it is great. Certainly not a high end one, but good enough!

3 hours ago, Ixoye said:

My freesync monitor isn't listed but works just fine with gsync.

Yeah it works in terms of displaying an image. But you dont have true gsync. Slow games are less affected than fast fps ofc

Lukas Dalton