Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

We need a mod to disable auto updates

As the title says. Everyone being forced to update when every release breaks more than it fixes is just creating way more frustration than we need. I hope some clever modder can figure out a way to turn off/on auto upgrades.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

+1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

I'd rather see MSFS issue optional beta update that become mandatory after all major update bugs are fixed!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I don't see why. Been like this with thousands of games on Steam. Even if there is a temporary issue, nobody is forcing you to play the game right now. Go do something else until the issue which is not making you enjoy the game is fixed.

• Like 6

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

That would open a whole new can of worms. It's tough enough for them to deal with just one version, Imagine the absolute mess having many different version would cause.

a BIG NO from me.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

That would open a whole new can of worms. It's tough enough for them to deal with just one version, Imagine the absolute mess having many different version would cause.

a BIG NO from me.

Especially since it's syncing with other simmers, and so now you not only have multiple versions to support, but you have to make sure all the versions can talk to each other so they don't blow themselves up when people on different versions end up in the same airspace.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

a BIG NO from me.

Adobo only need to deal with one version. This would change nothing for them. Especially if this is done via a mod. It may not be up to them... or you. 😉

Different people have different risk tolerances. Some early adopters will want to be on an active beta and won’t mind dealing with bugs, some on the latest release and will take the good with the bad, others will run a release behind, and some will stick with a release that works for them long term. 

Imagine a few years from now when a quarterly update breaks an important mod you’re using and the dev for that mod has moved on. Then what? You just pack it in? 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

8 minutes ago, eslader said:

Especially since it's syncing with other simmers, and so now you not only have multiple versions to support, but you have to make sure all the versions can talk to each other so they don't blow themselves up when people on different versions end up in the same airspace.

Ok we also need a mod to remove the MMO aspect. No offence, but I don’t want you guys in my world. 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Adobo only need to deal with one version. This would change nothing for them. Especially if this is done via a mod. It may not be up to them... or you. 😉

Different people have different risk tolerances. Some early adopters will want to be on an active beta and won’t mind dealing with bugs, some on the latest release and will take the good with the bad, others will run a release behind, and some will stick with a release that works for them long term. 

Imagine a few years from now when a quarterly update breaks an important mod you’re using and the dev for that mod has moved on. Then what? You just pack it in? 

You just do like we've always done. Rely on awesome people in the community to fix it, or even better, dig in the files yourself. Blocking updates is just about the worst idea i heard so far. 

• Like 1

I don't think this would be possible due to the fact that online multiplayer is an important fact of the sim. Everyone needs to be running the same version so that multiplayer works.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

As with any mod, if you don't want to use it, you wouldn't have to and that of course applies to your online multi-player buddies as well.  And I'm sure many wouldn't use this mod anyhow.   But some like me would.  I'd still be flying this weekend if I wasn't forced to upgrade to the latest release.  So if someone comes up with a mod to disable auto updates, I'll certainly be using it.

As it is, we're all on the beta fork whether we want be or not.

• Like 1

Hell yeah! They ruined my beautiful Caribbean Islands with their mesh update and the AP is still out of wack.

I hope that they issue an update ASAP and the option to delay future patches.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

51 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

As the title says. Everyone being forced to update when every release breaks more than it fixes is just creating way more frustration than we need. I hope some clever modder can figure out a way to turn off/on auto upgrades.

I think what your really asking is for the developers to do a better job with QA and be a little more stringent with the release schedule (hold till bugs are fixed) rather than pushing out fast and loose updates that have a running history of breaking core components/systems. Its just the frustration of it all. Most of us get it. We can only hope it gets better.

Cheers

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

And you dont need a mod actually.Make sure you disable your internet from the desktop to the main screen. Then reconnect. Easy.

• Like 1