That is a ridiculous price gouge! 👾

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I gotta tell ya...this whole thing has gotten out-ot-hand. I'll quit simming before I'll get screwed like that.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

That's ludicrous...  I just bought a fully built PC with a 3070 to replace my racing rig downstairs.  $1600...  It has a 3070, an ASUS ROG 490 board, M2 drive and an i7 10700K@ 3.8   This should absolutely crush iracing considering I'm on a 1080 card with an i5 on that rig now and it maintains 84 FPS in a full race with almost everything maxxed. 

But yeah, the whole rig was $1600 with 2 day shipping and will be here Tuesday, I ordered on Black Friday.  I have another order in for a rig to be delivered 12/25 for FS with a 3090 for $2,600.  That will replace my 2080.    

• Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I like how part of the specification linked to by Martin states "Advanced Turbofan 3.0". Even Rolls Royce sell turbofans cheaper than that :dry:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, psolk said:

That's ludicrous...  I just bought a fully built PC with a 3070 to replace my racing rig downstairs.  $1600...  It has a 3070, an ASUS ROG 490 board, M2 drive and an i7 10700K@ 3.8   This should absolutely crush iracing considering I'm on a 1080 card with an i5 on that rig now and it maintains 84 FPS in a full race with almost everything maxxed. 

But yeah, the whole rig was $1600 with 2 day shipping and will be here Tuesday, I ordered on Black Friday.  I have another order in for a rig to be delivered 12/25 for FS with a 3090 for $2,600.  That will replace my 2080.    

And don't forget, that's pounds not dollars. So $2260 US for the 3090.

Not just about the conversion of course, there's UK VAT AND other taxes we end up paying.

Edited by martin-w

This is insane.  Maybe it's time for me to quit flight sims and buy a cheap laptop for email and web access.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

We always get ripped off in the UK though. Buy a BMW for 40,000 quid and you guys pay the same but dollars. 

Same for PC stuff, forget the exchange rate, it doesn't seem to apply, if its $700 we end up paying £700, regardless as to the exchange rate suggesting we should pay £526. 

36 minutes ago, martin-w said:

We always get ripped off in the UK though. Buy a BMW for 40,000 quid and you guys pay the same but dollars. 

Same for PC stuff, forget the exchange rate, it doesn't seem to apply, if its $700 we end up paying £700, regardless as to the exchange rate suggesting we should pay £526. 

Not entirely accurate. The prices you see advertised on US sites do not include State Tax which varies by state. There is also an equivalent VAT although how that applies is a little unclear. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

It caught me out when I bought a t-shirt and the price at the till was higher than on the price tag. All very confusing until you understand how their system works.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Oh right, fair enough Ray. At least here in the Channel Islands I'm lucky, we get VAT deducted which makes quite a diference when talking about 1000 quid plus for a card.

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not entirely accurate. The prices you see advertised on US sites do not include State Tax which varies by state. There is also an equivalent VAT although how that applies is a little unclear. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

It caught me out when I bought a t-shirt and the price at the till was higher than on the price tag. All very confusing until you understand how their system works.

Yes, me too, used to VAT being included. It made it a bit difficult to see what the price actually was.

BTW Just looked at 3090 cards here : MSI 3090 24Gb R37000. (At 20.29 to the Pound =1824 GBP.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Oh right, fair enough Ray. At least here in the Channel Islands I'm lucky, we get VAT deducted which makes quite a diference when talking about 1000 quid plus for a card.

I thought everyone in the CI was rich Martin? 😁 And of course as was made clear to me when I visited family in Jersey they are part of GB but are most definitely not in the U.K. 😉

I’m in no hurry to change my 1080Ti. If there is a 3080Ti I may opt for that providing the price is reasonable. If it’s more than a grand I won’t buy it. Nvidia are milking their monopoly and need reigning in. As for scalpers... never, ever buy from them. No warranty is transferable anyway.

@IanHarrison, that price is obscene. 😳

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

How much, or rather what is the VAT percentage in the UK? Here in the states we pay around 7-8% sales tax but it’s not wrapped into the price like it is in the UK or Europe.

I usually make my expensive purchases for watches, fragrances and stuff like purchases and jewelry when we go to Europe in the winter since we get most of the VAT refunded. 

A few years ago when I was getting .95 euros for on $1, I bought a Breitling watch in Paris for around $5500 which would have cost me over $7000 in the US. I also got a TAG for $2900 which was slightly over $4000 in the US. Back in Jan I was in Rome and purchased a few bottle of Maison Frances Kurkjian for $400 which in the US retailed for $575 a bottle not including tax. My wife does the same for Chanel purses and stuff like that. If the exchange rate is .85$€=$1.00 or better, with the VAT refund, it’s much cheaper for us to purchase luxury items in Europe. The only problem is carting it on the plane coming home.

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Dear colleagues, is there a Samsung Odyssey C32G75TQSI 32 "among the simmers who supplied the monitor. I would like to hear if it is good for a simulator. It's just that I've never had concave monitors. Sorry for the bad English.