Sign in to follow this  
funkyhut1

Pilot2ATC with Aerowinx PSX

I'm trying to use Pilot2ATC with a setup where Aerowinx PSX is connected to MSFS 2020 with a small program called WidePSX. Basically, MSFS 2020 is a drone, controlled 100% by PSX.

I'm then connecting Pilot2ATC to the MSFS drone. This is a live stream of the complete setup but the first 3 minutes will demonstrate the setup, including Pilot2ATC.

The drone is powered up as you can see from the connection at 1:47 secs.

So my question is, will Pilot2ATC get enough information from the MSFS drone to enable this to work properly? Of course I don't expect anyone to watch the full stream here but it seemed to work on departure giving altitude changes. But I lost it on approach after being handed off to Hanoi Approach. That was, I hope, my error. But theoretically, should it work?

Many Thanks.

Chris Stanley VTCC

Chris,

I think I figured out the issue.  At 1:51:00, more or less, you apparently disconnected and reconnected Pilot2ATC.  That effectively wipes out P2A's knowledge of your flight and so it stopped responding with sensible responses.

To recover, if it happens again, try the following:

Assuming you still have the correct flight plan loaded and you have disconnected and reconnected:

1) Press the File button on the Flight plan - this gives ATC the Flt Plan again

2) Make an initial call to ATC like "<CallSign> descending to FL xxxx"

You should then get a "Radar Contact" call and the flight should continue normally.

This may not work if you are in the middle of getting vectors or some other phase of the approach, but from where you were, in the STAR descent, it should work.

Also, I noticed they kept telling you to squawk 5446.  That was because the P2A Squawk Mode was OFF, so be sure and turn it to Active or ALT in P2A as well as in the aircraft.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for this.
That is exactly what happened so I fully understand.
I'm really happy that this works as the ATC in MSFS is not so great. PSX has it's own ATC which is OK but it's not 2 way and is designed more to be a distraction during flight than to be real ATC (as stated by the author of PSX!). So P2A is the perfect solution and one we are recommending to our followers on Discord (https://discord.gg/A3ZQXPty)
One point however on the squawk. I understand that I did not set the transponder right in P2A so will deal with that next time. But, as MSFS is being used as a drone only and the 747-400's we are using are literally very lightweight Posky conversions with no "guts", there is no transponder on the a/c to turn on. Let's see how that will work.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment on this.
funkyhut (Chris)

Chris Stanley VTCC