Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

5.1 HF1 Tabletop Airports

Happened with fresh install of 5.1 HF1. Installed Orbx Global Base, OpenLC Europe, Vector, Trees. Noticed airports were on all on sloped plateaus. Default and otherwise. Uninstalled All Orbx products. Restarted P3D. Same problem. So... where to start troubleshooting? This is a brand new install on a fresh OS, about as virgin as it gets.

And... I've uninstalled everything, down to the OS, manually deleted the whole LM folder, the empty ones in Documents, the ones I could find in AppData, Didn't reinstall Orbx, but got rid of the install folder (outside, in my user folder) for good measure. Restarted, Then reinstalled just P3D 5.1 HF1 from scratch using the latest install files I downloaded yesterday. Everything is default. With sliders to the right, the elevation compared to the surrounding terrain is less dramatic, but still there without question. It seems to blend fairly well at the sides, but at the end of every runway it's still quite noticeable. I know my local airports aren't like that, and I suspect EGGW Luton isn't built on a terrace, either. It's like since the HF there's been an adjustment between runway elevations and the surrounding land. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

2 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

And... I've uninstalled everything, down to the OS, manually deleted the whole LM folder, the empty ones in Documents, the ones I could find in AppData, Didn't reinstall Orbx, but got rid of the install folder (outside, in my user folder) for good measure. Restarted, Then reinstalled just P3D 5.1 HF1 from scratch using the latest install files I downloaded yesterday. Everything is default. With sliders to the right, the elevation compared to the surrounding terrain is less dramatic, but still there without question. It seems to blend fairly well at the sides, but at the end of every runway it's still quite noticeable. I know my local airports aren't like that, and I suspect EGGW Luton isn't built on a terrace, either. It's like since the HF there's been an adjustment between runway elevations and the surrounding land. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Yes with most airports.  Better with default elevation mesh but still somewhat noticeable.  I use FreeMeshX and this definitely makes the elevation table top issue more noticeable.  Do not have a fix, I just live with it.  Are you using any elevation mesh scenery?  

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

I purchased and installed p3dv5.1hf1 yesterday (was still using 4.5) -Completely vanilla and noticed all the airports I came across were on some degree of a plateau.   It reminded me of back in v4 when I installed Pilots FS GLOBAL ULTIMATE - NEXT GENERATION FTX P3D mesh for the first time the same thing happened... but that program had a tool you could us to smooth out the edges of plateau airports.  

Wonder if out of the box p3dv5 has an enhanced mesh included versus the previous versions?

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if there's a difference depending on how you upgraded? Mine happened to be a full download on a virgin OS (because my vendetta with OneDrive forced me to dig out the convenient FACTORY RESET drive that Falcon thoughtfully provided). It's not super horrible, and after getting the Orbx products installed and set up, I noticed that at least my Orbx Bristol and UK2000 Luton blend very nicely. I'm happy enough with the improvements HF1 brought that I can deal with the airports--one way or another. I'm going very slow with add-ons, so I can't say what other third-party airports are going to look like. I would be more concerned if I flew outside of my Orbx areas. EA is pretty good so far, although I've got to deal with the colors and lighting--whoa! Intense, man! Sort of interesting in a trippy way, though.

BTW, this was from 5.1 to 5.1 HF1 installed as described, so it isn't a v5.1 thing.

Edited by Tim_Capps

14 hours ago, johncott said:

Are you using any elevation mesh scenery?

No. I think Orbx Global Base is just LC, unless Vector does something. The better the scenery in general, the less it's an issue, although it was a shock to find my home airport (KMDH) ending a runway with a small bluff! I'll live.

This could be down to most third party airports no using the sloped runways SDK when updating the airports to V5 form V4.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg