Sign in to follow this  
Biology

How is TFDi 717?

Hi,

Just noticed that TFDi 717 is on sale (for $32) on Orbx Central, and it really looks like a steal. I really love MD-11 & 717 avionics, and I'm quite excited for it. Do you think it's worth $32? How is it in terms of systems and other aspects?

Thanks in advance.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

It is a steal and a great aircraft. I had some CTD issues with the beta for P3D v5 but haven’t tried for a while so that may have been resolved already. When it works it’s a very interesting aircraft and more then worth the price. 

• Like 1

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

... and the price is in AUD, not USD.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

2 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

... and the price is in AUD, not USD.

I've converted the price to USD, I guess it's like $43 in AUD.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

1 minute ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I've converted the price to USD, I guess it's like $43 in AUD.

Ah ok, then you can't get anymore lower in price ;-). I bought it already some time ago before they got it into ORBX Central.

• Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Very highly recommended, i asked a question about going for either the Maddog or 717 about 2 years ago and ended up going with the Maddog - but with this weekends sale finally bought the 717 and i'm very glad i did - depth is great for the price, performance is good and of course a great trainer for when the MD-11 arrives!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JPFLIGHT said:

Very highly recommended, i asked a question about going for either the Maddog or 717 about 2 years ago and ended up going with the Maddog - but with this weekends sale finally bought the 717 and i'm very glad i did - depth is great for the price, performance is good and of course a great trainer for when the MD-11 arrives!

Thank you! Early reviews (from 2017) say that its VNAV is broken and many things about FMC are missing, is this still the case in 2020?

FMC seemed pretty functional to me - and i didn't use VNAV on the one proper flight i have done but from what i've seen TFDI have done alot of work from where they started - even if its not PMDG/Maddog level its currently what 1/4 or so of the price so i aren't fretting and hope by purchasing it encourages the guys to keep developing other aircraft

• Like 1

Great Plane ,good value and flys well.

Early problems sorted but do bear in mind that this was a pre- boeing plane so that you have to adjust to the systems.

I use it a lot!

be aware extremeley vram heavy dont use on vr unless running a 3090

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

I used to love this plane in V4.  Since it's not pbr it looked good with a reflection profile and tomato shade.  So the exterior doesn't look the best in V5.  Lights also aren't that nice in V5.  Super washed out.  But it's a very fun airplane.  For that price you should definitely get it. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I just bought it for p3d v4.5.  Checked it out really quick and liked everything I saw, including night lighting.  It’s now my go to plane for Hawaii. 

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

6 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Thank you! Early reviews (from 2017) say that its VNAV is broken and many things about FMC are missing, is this still the case in 2020?

Hi!

VNAV works great, what is missing in the FMC is imput for winds but we can expect this funtion to be implemented in the future after the MD11 release. I flew it few days ago switching from internal and external view may times and did not get any CTD. For short hops it's a blast, I highly recommend it!

Cheers

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte