Sign in to follow this  
RLJR

Changing from FSX to the 2020 version of Flight Sim

Getting ready to make the plunge. Need to know: Should I delete FSX? Make a folder for the new sim? Any other things to do to make my day? I don't have X Box.

You can definitely keep FSX and continue using it.

For MSFS, the best strategy is to get a dedicated 500 GB SSD and choose that drive for the MSFS install.

Unless you have 500 GB free on the FSX drive..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I would keep it at the moment.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I would keep it for now if you have the room. I sort of wish I had kept mine in order to fly some of the planes I miss, but once gone it's too much trouble to reinstall with all of the addons.

Here is my experience. I was an FSX user for 14 years, augmented by Ultimate Terrain scenery, and thought it was great until I installed MS2020 in September. Despite some hiccups, typical of a;ll new sims, I am now totally hooked on 2020 with its fantastic graphics and real-world immersion and will never go back to FSX, great as it was in its time.

• Like 2

Basically AFAIK you can have both installed without any issues so providing you have the space for both there is no harm in just keeping both.

MSFS is the better sim by far, but keeping FSX as well will give you an alternative to keep flying if the MSFS install goes south and you cannot login, which apparently happens to people occasionally. It also gives you an offline alternative if your internet is down.

If eventually you find you never use FSX anymore you can always uninstall it later without it effecting MSFS. They are seperate products and do not share any content.

Note I would not try starting both at once, but having the option to start either as you see fit should be fine. 

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can definitely keep FSX and continue using it.

+1
Without any doubt.  The latest MSFS update has after 30 consecutive relatively satisfying MSFS 2020 flights sent me back to FSX SE for serious flights. By serious, I fly a predefined sequence of flights to mirror real world schedules of my chosen sports teams.  I fly with real weather, and real time.  When I plan my flights and see that I will encounter IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) I need to be able to rely on the control systems and avionics.

I also, on off schedule days, I fly what I term are a $100 Hamburger flights.  For those I can choose whatever flight conditions I wish.  I choose VFR conditions and do not dwell on any need for accurate or realistic live weather and use real world visual cues as I fly.  I also fly my $100 Hamburger flights by hand, not by autopilot, so for those I am currently using MSFS.

The difference between the two based on the criteria I describe is significant at this time. No way would I remove my FSX SE and addons. 

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'm happily running both and on the same drive. Horses for courses: FSX for big-tin IFR on Vatsim with PMDGs etc and MSFS for VFR also on Vatsim. Both working perfectly.

They don't appear to interfere with each other at all (although I havn't tried one after the other without a reboot - but that would be daft!).

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

I have reverted back to FSX. I only fly the airbus and the A320 on MSFS is now almost impossible to fly. I know those simmers who are computer literate can alter things but I am not and rely on the basic plane to fly. Reading this forum it would appear that those flying the light aircraft are having a good experience so I guess it is what you wish to fly in. I advise keep your copy of FSX if you have room and until the day that MSFS matures I expect you will move between the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy675 said:

Reading this forum it would appear that those flying the light aircraft are having a good experience so I guess it is what you wish to fly in. I advise keep your copy of FSX if you have room and until the day that MSFS matures I expect you will move between the two.

Well ... those of us who like to fly VFR without autopilot are happy. I just flew the Iris Simulations Jabiru bonus Bush Trip manually (tried where possible to even ignore the GPS and follow the visual instructions) and had a ball. 

HOWEVER the people trying to do things like lock onto localisers, or just use autopilot in general, are not happy campers right now regardless of aircraft.

Keeping both is a good plan.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I fly the A320 stick and rudder no AP. Of course I have no time for ATC on approach etc. because having to pay very close attention to land the thing. But I can do it everytime.

I keep trying the AP on many planes. Almost every flight it suddenly goes into twilight zone mode. No telling what's to happen when I press a button that was rather boring in FSX because we knew what would happen. So its seat of the pants or just not fly it so I do fly it. I'm no airline pilot but they say the Boeings are harder to hand land than Airbus. Certainly that way in MSFS. Flight sims taught me why Airbus sells so many airliners.

It's kind of fun following along some MSFS AP tutorials on Youtube. Everything on my screen in front of me is going along like the Youtube screen over on the right. And then suddenly the aircraft points nose straight up to the sky.

I suppose someone is going to sell fake AP fix software for MSFS outside the gates in the parking lot at the next Flightsim Expo!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.