Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

My Golden Rule for Flight Sim Discussions

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I be so bold as to invite you to consider one thing when we come here to share our common interests?

I think it is in poor taste for a child to make fun of another child's favorite toys. It's one thing to discuss one's own toys, but why criticize something that's not to your taste, but that is bringing someone else enjoyment? None of this is really so serious to risk controversy and hurt feelings, is it? If we have not learned that much perspective this year, I don't know what we can learn. Again, if you have a product and use it, talk about it however you wish. I have P3Dv5.1 HF1, and I use it, so I enjoy reading about what's good and what improvements me might expect, or are disappointed not to find yet, and how to get the most out of it. I also have MSFS2020, which I don't use so much right now, because I happen to pretend I'm an airline captain and there's just not much opportunity for me there. It is pretty amazing, though and there are many who enjoy it as it is and that's fine. It's true that MSFS2020 came as a tsunami and changed the landscape of flight simulation overnight. This, along with the challenges LM has thrown at developers and users raise questions about the future of our hobby. These are legitimate issues. Both platforms are clearly works in progress. But I think there's good reason to suppose both are going to be around for some time to come and continue to improve. Market forces will determine what's available for each, and I don't think anyone--anyone, no matter how highly placed in what I suppose could be called "the industry" with a straight face--can predict the future.

There are always going to be currents of opinion, and some are so ancient that they will continue along their channels no matter what. Learning to navigate those skillfully makes for a better experience for everyone. I'm not trying to chill speech here. And defending murderers for a living gives you a pretty thick skin and, I'll admit, a penchant for defense, rather than prosecution. Of course, anyone may say what they like. I'm not the arbiter of good taste or a moderator. (A job I don't envy.). All I can do is provide my own perspective, which is this: be considerate to others and respect what brings them enjoyment. If the only comment you can make is a drive-by criticism, maybe stop and think for five seconds before you hit the send button. This is a game for almost all of us (and the few devs who post, for whom it is also a business, are a pretty careful lot).

I like my toys. You like yours. There's room for everybody. Let's play nice.

Here are two seasonal movies I recommend that you won't have heard of. You might enjoy them, which would make me happy. Bachelor Mother with Ginger Rogers (of course) and David Niven, and Return of the Cat People, by the amazing and forgotten Val Lewton, who made wonderful movies the studio burdened with horrible titles. (I Walked with a Zombie is an even worse title; a good movie, but perhaps for a different season.) And if you enjoy It's a Wonderful Life, that's fine with me. I won't say a word.

Tim Capps

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 11/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tim_Capps said:

Here are two seasonal movies I recommend that you won't have heard of. You might enjoy them, which would make me happy. Bachelor Mother with Ginger Rogers (of course) and David Niven, and Return of the Cat People, by the amazing and forgotten Val Lewton, who made wonderful movies the studio burdened with horrible titles. (I Walked with a Zombie is an even worse title; a good movie, but perhaps for a different season.) And if you enjoy It's a Wonderful Life, that's fine with me. I won't say a word.

Tim Capps

If you fancy watching a great movie with David Niven, you can do no wrong with this one. It took years for it to eventually make it to a DVD release, and I'm pretty sure it is now on Prime as well, so there's no excuse not to check it out. Niven gloriously spoofing himself whilst also managing to put in a heartfelt performance too. It's absolutely absolutely fab and for film fans there are appearances from several movie legends, including Ronald Fraser, Hardy Kruger, Jeff Corey and Toshiru Mifune.

And in regards to personal tastes, I defy anyone with a heart to not like this movie.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Please, no more David Niven film reviews, or this topic will be moved to Hangar Chat.  Stay on topic!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Agreed. Someone should start a David Niven topic in Hangar Chat, although in my own oblique style, I was making a point about how some people love oddball things, while despising popular tastes, such as It's A Wonderful Life. I apologize for my gnomic utterances and beg pity for my advanced age. I dated Ginger Rogers for a short time.

What is old, gray, wrinkled and smells of Ginger Rogers?    Fred Astaire's cheek. 

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:41 PM, Freo said:

What is old, gray, wrinkled and smells of Ginger Rogers?    Fred Astaire's cheek. 

A perfect example of my point. Ginger won an Academy Award for Best Actress. Fred was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in Towering Inferno. He didn't  win. Everyone is free to have an opinion about that. Just like flight simulation. No, it's not a very good example. Approach, I'm as lost as an Easter Egg. Request vectors to comment termination.

• Like 1