Sign in to follow this  
heavyapproach

Recovering locked layout.json file

Is anyone aware of any method of recovering a 'locked' layout.json file to it's original location short of preforming a complete reinstall?

Was accidentally moved out of the Longitude folder during a mod installation and I'm now being denied permission to move it back, assuming because it's considered a 'locked' premium content (Longitude) file?

Have spent the last couple of hours trying to find some way around the Asobo/MS method denying access to move certain files without success....any possible suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Can you just uninstall the airplane from your Hangar?

Then reinstall it..

Bert

Hi Bert and thanks for your response

Unfortunately removing the layout.json file has resulted in the Longitude not being displayed in the Hangar (this was the first indication that something had gone wrong during the attempted mod installation)

It is however still listed in the Content Manager, but I'm not aware of any way to delete it from this location and then preform a reinstall

EDIT

The option to delete an aircraft from the Content Manager is in fact available for other items listed, but the absence of the layout.json from the Longitude folder, has removed this option for the Longitude

Edited by heavyapproach

What happens if you add a mod for a custom livery?

Some mods install to the Community folder and contain a revised layout.json file. Others install to the Longitude folder and require you to change several CFG files.

Thanks for the suggestion

Unfortunately the Longitude is completely absent from the Hangar, so installing a custom livery can't be completed

The 'master' layout.json for the Longitude is 37KB's, the two custom liveries I currently have are only 3KB and 4KB's respectively, so there must be some dependency on the master layout.json being present in the Longitude folder in order to properly display alternate liveries

It appears that the absence of the master layout.json from the Longitude folder, and my inability to move it back into the folder, has removed any functionality that may have existed in the Content Manger in order to delete and reinstall the aircraft as Bert suggested

But thanks again for the suggestion, I'll keep trying to find a solution short of a complete reinstall

Have you tried moving files in DOS from the command line?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Try reading this thread:

You may not get the answer you want but you'll understand what's going on.

If that is not the problem you're running up against, you may just need to take ownership of the file and folder you want to move it too.

Edited by Phantoms

James

This may not be relevant, but I couldn't move or delete files in MSFS because it was installed in the WindowsApps folder. I reinstalled the whole in thing in a different folder I named FS2020. Now I can delete or move files to my hearts content.

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

16 hours ago, Fielder said:

Have you tried moving files in DOS from the command line?

Thanks for the suggestion, but no success in attempting to move the file in DOS from the command line

Also tried using PowerShell command line, but again without success

14 hours ago, Phantoms said:

Try reading this thread:

You may not get the answer you want but you'll understand what's going on.

If that is not the problem you're running up against, you may just need to take ownership of the file and folder you want to move it too.

Thanks for providing the link to the other related thread regarding the files

Interesting information that does give a good explanation of how the files are encrypted and where they reside on the disk and the possible perils of attempting to delve too deeply into them

Thanks also for the link regarding taking ownership of the files. I am set as admin on the system, but followed the instructions from the link anyway just to ensure that I wasn't missing anything in the process. Unfortunately it didn't change the overall result of not being able to move the file back into the Longitude folder

This is an admittedly self inflicted problem that I've created, and at this stage I'm still reluctant to preform a complete reinstall. As stated in the other thread, that too can apparently come with it's own set of possible complications

I think the best option right now to avoid any further frustration and avoid creating any additional problems with the install, would be to wait for the next update and hope that will re-create the layout.json file in the Longitude folder. Barring this, I will have to reconsider preforming the complete reinstall

Thanks again

12 hours ago, Coneman said:

This may not be relevant, but I couldn't move or delete files in MSFS because it was installed in the WindowsApps folder. I reinstalled the whole in thing in a different folder I named FS2020. Now I can delete or move files to my hearts content.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is something that I may have to consider doing in the event of requiring a complete reinstall

I'm not sure that I would attempt this on the current installation, just in the event that it somehow causes folder location confusion for the installer during the next update

Have you tried a reset or repair? That might replace the missing file(s).

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

36 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Have you tried a reset or repair? That might replace the missing file(s).

Vic

Careful with the "Reset" option... it uninstalled the sim when I tried it.. ☹️

• Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Careful with the "Reset" option... it uninstalled the sim when I tried it.. ☹️

Well, the reinstall would fix the problem.  😁

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Use MSFS layout generator.

You place it in the affected file, run it and it will produce the .jsn file.