Sign in to follow this  
Ident

Reverb G2

I got my G2 a few days before Thanksgiving and then was away for the weekend. I've owned the Oculus CV1, Rift S and now the G2. I understand there are some hand controller issues in XPlane11 but I dont use the hand controllers in simming so that's a non-issue for me. Screen door effect, gone. That has been my #1 item since the CV1. The sweet spot is interesting as its perfect clarity when looking forward but when you start to move your eyes outside of the sweet spot it gets blurry. Something I hadnt really noticed in my prior VRs. No biggie, just move your head more instead of rolling your eyes. Am I happy....very much yes! This is exactly what I've been wanting since my first headset. The only thing that will make be buy another headset would be if down the road there is a headset with this kind of sharp and vibrant colors and it had more FOV like what the Pimax do while being easy to work with all my favorite VR titles. Just FOV is the only thing missing for me now. 

I've also tried it with AeroFly FS2, its beautiful but not P3D yet. My future in simming is Xplane and MSFS and currently I use XPlane, P3Dv3 with FlyInside and AeroflyFS2 every once in a blue moon.

Congrats and enjoy! I enjoy my Reverb G1 but, like many others, am waiting for the 3080 to become reasonably available to truly unleash the G1s beauty.

There is no substitution for high resolution.

14 hours ago, Ident said:

I got my G2 a few days before Thanksgiving 

What kind of hardware are you using and how is your performance in Xplane? I am waiting for my headset. Scheduled for delivery on friday. Can't wait. I am currently using the CV1 so I expect the improvment to be big. With the CV1 I always stop after a shorter flight because it feels... to blurry. It's fun and immersive but something is missing. Especially on those long-haul flights. Everything looks the same...a blurry mess.

Edited by flightsim1818

3 hours ago, flightsim1818 said:

What kind of hardware are you using and how is your performance in Xplane?

i7-7700K o/c @ 4.8 (Kaby Lake),  1TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, 32GB DDR4/3000MHz, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO,  GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition

I built my system right when the 1080 was released so it a few years old but still pumping out great performance. I havent played with it long enough to notice any difference in XPlane 11 good or bad as far as performance goes so in a way thats a good thing. I'll be getting the 3080 when the 20gig cards come out next year and then will hold on to that computer rig for another 3-4 years before doing a complete system upgrade.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ident said:

i7-7700K o/c @ 4.8 (Kaby Lake),  1TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, 32GB DDR4/3000MHz, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO,  GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition

I built my system right when the 1080 was released so it a few years old but still pumping out great performance. I havent played with it long enough to notice any difference in XPlane 11 good or bad as far as performance goes so in a way thats a good thing. I'll be getting the 3080 when the 20gig cards come out next year and then will hold on to that computer rig for another 3-4 years before doing a complete system upgrade.

thanks, pretty much my setup as well - 8700K + ROG STRIX 1080ti OC. Although I have only 16GB RAM@3000.

So you can run Xplane in the Reverb with smooth FPS? Do you need to reduce the settings?

Edited by flightsim1818

17 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

thanks, pretty much my setup as well - 8700K + ROG STRIX 1080ti OC. Although I have only 16GB RAM@3000.

So you can run Xplane in the Reverb with smooth FPS? Do you need to reduce the settings?

I had a really smooth flight last night. Lately, I've been trading off a complete VR flight to doing 2d for taxi, takeoff, cruise and VR for decent and landings. I fly on PilotEdge, OnAir and with my iPad for Garmin Pilot to practice my flows for when I fly in RL. So having the ability to do all that in 2D and not have to where the VR for a long time then using the VR to give me that depth of field for when landing when the workload of the flight is behind me has become my perfect mix of using all my simming tools. Smooth FPS you ask...hmmm, nothing compares to AeroFlyFS2 but by no means do I feel like my overall flight expereince is negative. In 2D XP11 11.5 in Vulcan is great and in VR if I do get a hit, its not a slide show or show stopper.

• Like 1

One thing that I do like about coming from the Oculus Rift S is the ability to rotate the individual earpieces 90 degrees up. That way the user can have one ear listening to one thing and one ear listening to something more focused in the room or on the computer speakers (not the headset ones). I have the headset set as my communication and my speakers as my default so I only hear PilotEdge in my headset speakers and all other sounds in the speakers.

So, I've had got some flights in and I just have to say I love this headset! I notice a big difference in smoothness when on the ground compared to my Rift S in XPlane 11. No screen door effect, super clear sweet spot, way better performance and one last feature I like is the ability to rotate the ear pieces up 90 degrees.

I was looking forward to getting the 3080 with 20 gigs but now I'm not even thinking about it. I really love how smooth Xplane 11 is running, so much so I'm not sure I will be updating any future builds for a long time. The sim is running great and I just want to not mess it up and just fly. I dont even think I am going to get MSFS when its VR ready. Just stay with XP11.5 for a year while MSFS keeps getting improvements and spend all my time just enjoying flying instead of chasing the next best thing.

• Like 1

Yes. Use G2 after I had the G1 version too.

Sounds are great!

Sweetspot much better

Much more clear views compared to G1/more details in distance visible

Great comfort!

Better IPD adjsutment

Much better colors

I did not expect this huge difference to G1

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On 11/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, Ident said:

Just FOV is the only thing missing for me now. 

Check out this video for a way to improve the FOV.

Bill  N7IBG     

I got my G2 yesterday

You have to be careful the face power plug does not get loose

Otherwise its OK in P3DV4 .... everything MAXED

but can get jittery jello in P3DV5 ,  nicer colors tho

Had some gamekiller jerkiness in XP11, working on settings later

I fly ORBX VAN area in stereo settings it takes a 50% fps hit over single-pass but since i have a 24G VRAM 3090 and 64G RAM.....I survive

I get smoothness at least with really nice visuals

I've had two CTD when approaching 15G VRAM (only with MSFS 2020 200% scaling  a UHD) so power supply is culprit (750) will likely get a 850 at BEstBuy tomorrow

AWAITING DEC 23 with IMPATIENCE

Edited by peppy197