Sign in to follow this  
Chock

At it again...

For those who like to shoot first, and following on from making a Stormtrooper E-11 blaster, I thought I'd have a cheap and cheerful stab at the DL-44, more commonly known as Han Solo's blaster from the Star Wars movies. Here it is now I've finished it:

mWaYCzr.jpg

In the movie itself, the prop (or rather props, since there were many of them, not least because they broke during filming and also had to be remade for the follow up films too since they'd been given away at the end of filming the first movie before they knew how much mileage the franchise had in it, so they vary a bit between movies as well) was constructed from a Mauser C96 'Broomhandle' semi-automatic pistol. Other parts were added to the C96, notably a muzzle from an MG-81 machine gun, the sniper scope from a Mauser K98 and the cylinder and cooling fin assembly from a model aeroplane engine.

It could get expensive to replicate that for real using a genuine Mauser etc, so fortunately there is a much cheaper option, and that's to use this cheap (£15) toy which provides a reasonably accurate starting point:

bwv00Ph.png

There's really not a lot of work involved in tarting it up, just a bit of sanding to clean off mold lines and some modifying the muzzle a bit. Most of the effort is in getting it to look like various worn metal and wood finishes, employing various painting techniques which most of you will be familiar with it you've ever made any model kits.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cool. An old broomhandled mauser repurposed. I like it.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Just don't take it out onto the street. You'll find out very quickly just how many cops there are in your area that are armed and gagging for it. 😄

• Like 4

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Just don't take it out onto the street. You'll find out very quickly just how many cops there are in your area that are armed and gagging for it. 😄

Yup, especially where I live lol, I think if I did that we'd find out that Han most definitely did not shoot first.

Funnily enough on the subject of that, I delivered a truck to Sellafield a few weeks ago (that's the big nuclear power station aite on the north east coast of England), and you should have seen the cops armed to the teeth on the gate of that place eying me with suspicion and inspecting the vehicle. Never even had that much of a vehicle check when I've driven onto airports and military bases! That's a very bizarre place.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

You'll find out very quickly just how many cops there are in your area that are armed and gagging for it. 😄

They'll be taking the knee only to get a better aim (hopefully... That is armed response's job after all) :biggrin: I asked the local constabulary some time ago regarding what if the police helicopter was out and about and saw me plinking in my back yard with my assorted airsoft guns. The officer said it wouldn't be a problem, unless they were actually looking for me, or my neighbour.. I'd be incredibly unlucky to receive a visit! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Chock said:

...and you should have seen the cops armed to the teeth on the gate of that place ..

Main course of G36 with a side order of Glock? (sidearm) :cool:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

That could probably sell for $1,000,000 on Ebay.  Looks like the real thing.

Stan

• Upvote 1